Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim woman in Hijab pushed into a moving train by a man in London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    How many Muslims have to be pushed in front of trains or be attacked before you mentally declassify their attackers as simply "being mad"?
    How many Muslims have been pushed in front of trains? One?

I will read your answer tomorrow.

Good night (for real this time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    But she didn't

Let's stick with the facts shall we rather than getting pissy over what could have but actually didn't happen.
    weird

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Excellent post and spot on.
    weird

ReputationRep:
    BaconandSauce

so it's only bad if someone dies at the end?

you need medical and psychological examination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    How many Muslims have been pushed in front of trains? One?

I will read your answer tomorrow.

Good night (for real this time)
    Muslim or not, you can't just go round pushing people into moving vehicles?
    What the actual **** is wrong with you "people?"

ReputationRep:
    Funny how the thread trying to prove an attack by an 81 years homeless man is indicative of the continuing deamonazation of Muslims has suddenly gone quite

Could it have anything to do you known what and the (so far) 18 dead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    You need some therapy. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoCrazy)
    You need some therapy. Honestly.
    Is that your contribution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    If it had been a Muslim man, who had attended talks by radical preachers, made extremist posts on social media, and who had shouted "Allahu akbar" as he pushed her, people would suspect a particular narrative.

If it had been a Muslim man who was homeless and disturbed, and seemed confused after the event, a different narrative would appear more likely.

Not every attack where the victim is a Muslim is about Islam. You need to try and move away from this black and white, "us and them" mindset. It does no one any good.
    then you are very naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    This has been reported on every major news platform - including the Daily Mail and the Sun - along with TV and radio.

You need to widen your horizons.
    i am and have.
    this was not on the bbc news.
    the sun and daily mail - are u kidding me. The most anti-Islamic newspapers! Widen your knowledge first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woIfie)
    The man who did the pushing is an 81 year old Japanese man. You can't really blame anti-immigration sentiment for this. He's probably just old and crazy
    old and crazy and anti-Islamic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    May I respectfully suggest watching the video.
    There are four people in shot, two at the far end of the platform. The victim is the only person in close proximity to the attacker. Without knowing who took up their position first, it is no more than speculation to claim that he singled her out.
    There were clearly other people on the platform as several come into view after the attack, so your claim is a straw man.
    As with all these cases, one should defer making judgement until all the facts are known.

Isn't it enough to condemn the attack as appalling and cowardly without having to claim that it was because of the woman's headwear? It might have been, it might not but as we saw with the case of Nahid Almanea, not every attack on a Muslim is because of their religion. If you are going to jump to conclusions, look before you leap!
    it is not even about proximity.
    he chose to stand behind her. if he wanted to push a randomer off to their death why stand behind her, why position yourself behind the person who was indeed a Muslim lady. why not stand behind the other man in the video.
    Its not a question of 'it was just there' it was a 'choice'.

ReputationRep:
    So what would motivate a man to push someone out in front of a moving train?
    Given that there have been several cases of such a thing, I would guess that the motivations are manifold. I would be most surprised if they were all due to anti-Muslim sentiment. I could be wrong though.

However, given the strength of opinion of some posters, there is the possibility that they were all due to the victim's religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boondock Saint)
    I put it to him that everyone Yoshiyuki Shinohora walked past on his way to the end of the platform was in the frame.
    But unless you can show that none of the people that he may have walked passed (he may have joined the platform just after the last train departed) looked like they may have been Muslim, your point is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    How many Muslims have to be pushed in front of trains or be attacked before you mentally declassify their attackers as simply "being mad"?
    Give me a number I can work with.
    Some people who attack Muslims are undoubtedly racist xenophobes. This man may also have been one. At present, there is no information either way.

As you raised the point, exactly how many Muslims have been pushed in front of trains because of their religion?
    Give me a number I can work with.

ReputationRep:
    The platform being quiet, busy, or jam-packed, are all very different things. I used to change at Piccadilly Circus every single day, never once have I ever seen it "pretty quiet". It's always at the very least reasonably busy, that's why I find it very hard to believe that other people weren't in close proximity to both the attacker and the victim.
    You can see that the part of the platform that she was standing on was "pretty quiet". 4 people on a 10m or more section, to be precise. It is clear from the video. Count them.
    4 more people arrive from out of shot after the event. That means that we know that there were 8 people on that platform, in the "near vicinity".

So, what explanation do you have for the unnatural quietness (in your opinion) of that section of the platform?

Your argument was that she must have been deliberately targetted because of her religion because the platform was full of people. Your assertion does not correspond to the observable facts.
    Are you religious? (It's just that making assertions that do not correspond to the observations is a common trait with the religious)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annony)
    i am and have.
    this was not on the bbc news.
    Ah, so despite being on all the major online news services, the major papers, LBC and ITV, because it may not have been on BBC news (it is difficult to verify this) it has not been publicised?

the sun and daily mail - are u kidding me. The most anti-Islamic newspapers! Widen your knowledge first.
    What has that got to do with it? If anything, surely the right-wing, xenophobe rags would be less likely to report a potential "Islamophobic" attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annony)
    it is not even about proximity.
    he chose to stand behind her. if he wanted to push a randomer off to their death why stand behind her, why position yourself behind the person who was indeed a Muslim lady. why not stand behind the other man in the video.
    Its not a question of 'it was just there' it was a 'choice'.
    How do you know he chose to stand behind her? How do you know that she didn't stand in front of him?

More assertions without support.

If he did choose her, perhaps it was because she was standing in a quiet section of the platform (Boondock has already told us that that platform is usually crowded) and he didn't want there to be anyone to stop him.

Why not wait for the facts before making your mind up? You should use this maxim for everything, BTW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    But unless you can show that none of the people that he may have walked passed (he may have joined the platform just after the last train departed) looked like they may have been Muslim, your point is irrelevant.
    It's not irrelevant because I've never attempted to give a factual version of events. I've only put forward one possible scenario of what, in my view, probably happened. I can't see how the attacker possibly joining the platform just after the last train departed makes any difference seeing as trains pass every 2 - 4 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    You can see that the part of the platform that she was standing on was "pretty quiet". 4 people on a 10m or more section, to be precise. It is clear from the video. Count them.
    4 more people arrive from out of shot after the event. That means that we know that there were 8 people on that platform, in the "near vicinity".

So, what explanation do you have for the unnatural quietness (in your opinion) of that section of the platform?
    Incorrect. Those 4 other people only come into view after the event because they decided to assist. Chances are that others were also there in the "near vicinity" but just stood there and watched - bystanders effect.

(Original post by QE2)
    Your argument was that she must have been deliberately targetted because of her religion because the platform was full of people. Your assertion does not correspond to the observable facts.
    Are you religious? (It's just that making assertions that do not correspond to the observations is a common trait with the religious)
    Strawman. I've never asserted that she was targetted because of her religion, only that it's plausible to suggest that this may have been the case.

ReputationRep:
    I've never attempted to give a factual version of events.
    At least we can agree on that!

I've only put forward one possible scenario
    And I think all reasonable people agree that it is possible

of what, in my view, probably happened.
    Oh, now you've gone and spoiled all that good work.

I can't see how the attacker possibly joining the platform just after the last train departed makes any difference seeing as trains pass every 2 - 4 minutes.
    Like this.
    Train pulls up.
    Everyone on the platform gets on train.
    Train pulls off.
    Man steps onto empty platform as doors close and train pulls off.
    Man walks length of empty platform to what he knows will be the quietest area when platform fills up.

It's not really that difficult to visualise if you are familiar with the Underground.
    I'm not saying that it is what happened. I'm not even saying it was probable. Just possible.

As I have said, why not wait till the facts are out before claiming you (probably) know what happened?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.