Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

2016 Roehampton Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellsy95
This is on their FAQ:
I will not have received my loan payment by moving-in day will this be a problem?We know that students will not receive their loans until they have completed their enrolment with the University, which may not happen until they have been living on campus for up to two weeks. With this in mind we delay the first payment.So I'm guessing that as long as you let them know, it should be okay? (I don't think a lot of students, especially those coming from college will just have £2,000 in their bank accounts)

Ah, that makes sense. I only noticed when I confirmed my accommodation that the payment isn't taken until 4th October, it's just the accommodation period begins 18th September!
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Original post by Welkom
Ah, that makes sense. I only noticed when I confirmed my accommodation that the payment isn't taken until 4th October, it's just the accommodation period begins 18th September!

Oh cool! I haven't actually confirmed mine just yet :frown: by the way, did you receive an e-mail? The only reason I know I got my accommodation was by checking the site!
Original post by ellsy95
Oh cool! I haven't actually confirmed mine just yet :frown: by the way, did you receive an e-mail? The only reason I know I got my accommodation was by checking the site!

I didn't get one either, just checked because somebody on here said they had an offer :redface:
Original post by Welkom
I didn't get one either, just checked because somebody on here said they had an offer :redface:

oh! same as me then, haha! (i did start to get panicky)
Reply 164
Hi I choose insurance offer for sports coaching
Original post by ellsy95
This is on their FAQ:
I will not have received my loan payment by moving-in day will this be a problem?We know that students will not receive their loans until they have completed their enrolment with the University, which may not happen until they have been living on campus for up to two weeks. With this in mind we delay the first payment.So I'm guessing that as long as you let them know, it should be okay? (I don't think a lot of students, especially those coming from college will just have £2,000 in their bank accounts)

Loan payments are slightly later this year too. The university knows when to expect the loans so you're in no panic. You can always contact accommodation and speak to them if you're particularly concerned.
Reply 166
Original post by ellsy95
I won't be in the same accom as you (I checked the accommodation site for my offer! It hasn't come through e-mail yet!) but I'm doing Classical Civ too!!

That's so cool! I haven't talked to anyone else doing Classical Civ. yet so am a little bit nervous :O :biggrin: The course looks so great though! I really love all the modules ^_^
Original post by EXO235
That's so cool! I haven't talked to anyone else doing Classical Civ. yet so am a little bit nervous :O :biggrin: The course looks so great though! I really love all the modules ^_^

I know! That's what made me pick Roehampton as a university! Have you ever studied Classics/Classical Civ before? (Like a-level/GCSE?)
Reply 168
Original post by ellsy95
I know! That's what made me pick Roehampton as a university! Have you ever studied Classics/Classical Civ before? (Like a-level/GCSE?)

Awesome! I love the study trip to Rome in the 2nd year too! Nothing better than seeing it all for real :biggrin: I did it at A-Level ^_^ I didn't even know about it before A-Levels because my school didn't offer it as a GCSE, my Classics teacher taught Latin GCSE but they wouldn't her add Classics to the GCSE list :frown: I loved it at A-Level though :biggrin: Have you done it before? :smile:
Original post by EXO235
Awesome! I love the study trip to Rome in the 2nd year too! Nothing better than seeing it all for real :biggrin: I did it at A-Level ^_^ I didn't even know about it before A-Levels because my school didn't offer it as a GCSE, my Classics teacher taught Latin GCSE but they wouldn't her add Classics to the GCSE list :frown: I loved it at A-Level though :biggrin: Have you done it before? :smile:

I saw! It looks soooo good! and I did it at A-Levels too! My Classics teacher had a Latin class on the side, but I never had the time to go :frown: but I might do like, a beginner's Latin if they offer it!
Reply 170
Original post by ellsy95
I saw! It looks soooo good! and I did it at A-Levels too! My Classics teacher had a Latin class on the side, but I never had the time to go :frown: but I might do like, a beginner's Latin if they offer it!

Yeah I've never done Latin either, I did start to learn modern Greek last year but then kinda stopped it after a while to do Korean instead :biggrin: I think they offer either Latin or Ancient Greek as optional modules in the 1st year, but I can't decide which to do! I feel like knowing at least basic Latin would be really useful for the course though, so might have to do that one :smile:
Original post by EXO235
Yeah I've never done Latin either, I did start to learn modern Greek last year but then kinda stopped it after a while to do Korean instead :biggrin: I think they offer either Latin or Ancient Greek as optional modules in the 1st year, but I can't decide which to do! I feel like knowing at least basic Latin would be really useful for the course though, so might have to do that one :smile:

Oh! I kinda want to do Ancient Greek so I can read the Iliad without a translation BUT it looks difficult because it's kinda like symbols and not letters? (if you get my drift) but Latin would probably be easier :frown: but at least it'll be cool to learn another language!
I'll be studying Education studies :smile:
Reply 173
Original post by ellsy95
Oh! I kinda want to do Ancient Greek so I can read the Iliad without a translation BUT it looks difficult because it's kinda like symbols and not letters? (if you get my drift) but Latin would probably be easier :frown: but at least it'll be cool to learn another language!

I recommend deciding based on which civilisation you feel you are going to study more (especially for your dissertation) There's no pressure though, I had a friend do Beginner's Latin first year and then Ancient Greek in second year.

I found the Ancient Greek programme excellent, I also did it in Second Year (wasn't able to do a language in first year), Fiona Mchardy is a really good Ancient Greek teacher and the course you will follow is very straight forward, just make sure you do the work! (She will check!) Most of this past year's class came out with Firsts in the Ancient Greek module.
I'm not sure I can say the same for Beginners Latin, the guys in my year who did it in the first year, not many passed, and the pass rate was so low they weren't able to actually have Intermediate Latin classes because only 3 people chose it. I don't think it's that Latin is especially difficult per say, it was likely due to the teaching methods of the lecturer during that year (this is what I heard from fellow students). You may have a different Latin teacher with a more effective teaching style though.
I got a offer through clearing for a foundation year for psychology is anyone else doing that course? 😊
Reply 175
Original post by SGWo
I recommend deciding based on which civilisation you feel you are going to study more (especially for your dissertation) There's no pressure though, I had a friend do Beginner's Latin first year and then Ancient Greek in second year.

I found the Ancient Greek programme excellent, I also did it in Second Year (wasn't able to do a language in first year), Fiona Mchardy is a really good Ancient Greek teacher and the course you will follow is very straight forward, just make sure you do the work! (She will check!) Most of this past year's class came out with Firsts in the Ancient Greek module.
I'm not sure I can say the same for Beginners Latin, the guys in my year who did it in the first year, not many passed, and the pass rate was so low they weren't able to actually have Intermediate Latin classes because only 3 people chose it. I don't think it's that Latin is especially difficult per say, it was likely due to the teaching methods of the lecturer during that year (this is what I heard from fellow students). You may have a different Latin teacher with a more effective teaching style though.

That's really useful, thank you! I prefer studying Greece, rather than Rome, so if they offer it I will probably do Ancient Greek :smile: Do a lot of people choose do a language module? It sounds like a really good idea, and I love languages, but I've seen lots of people (not Roehampton students but on general classics threads) say they don't want to do a language.
Reply 176
Original post by EXO235
That's really useful, thank you! I prefer studying Greece, rather than Rome, so if they offer it I will probably do Ancient Greek :smile: Do a lot of people choose do a language module? It sounds like a really good idea, and I love languages, but I've seen lots of people (not Roehampton students but on general classics threads) say they don't want to do a language.

I think everyone in my year and everyone in the year below (second years now) picked either Greek or Latin as a module, it's definitely just worth it to at least get an appreciation of the language :smile:
I'm doing Creative Writing + English Lit, anyone else?
anyone doing zoology this year and living at home?
Original post by wrighty27
Is anyone staying at home and traveling to uni

I AM!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending