Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popo111)
    What about if your teachers refuse to give it to you yet and you have completed all past papers?
    Shank them fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    Carbonate ion is composed of two elements

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So does that mean you have to work out the lattice enthalpy for the carbonate ion first?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain the last question on the Jan 2012 f325 paper please!!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    Electrode potential for potassium manganate is more positive than in chlorine, so the manganate ions will react with chlorine. The electrode potential in potassium dichromate is more negative than chlorine. Look at the information on page 20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rory58824)
    Electrode potential for potassium manganate is more positive than in chlorine, so the manganate ions will react with chlorine. The electrode potential in potassium dichromate is more negative than chlorine. Look at the information on page 20.
    But it says the titration is done between Cr2O7 and Fe2+ so I thought you would say MnO4- has a more positive electrode potential than Fe? I don't get why it mentions Cl

ReputationRep:
    Using the redox systems in Table.1 construct an equation for a reaction between acidified dichromate and CHOOH

But the table has two CHOOH, how do you know which one to choose? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  238.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    But it says the titration is done between Cr2O7 and Fe2+ so I thought you would say MnO4- has a more positive electrode potential than Fe? I don't get why it mentions Cl
    Excess HCl is used (stage 1), so as a result MnO4- would react with the chloride ions.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  397.0 KB

Why does the equation here have to involve OH- ions??

ReputationRep:
    Excess HCl is used (stage 1), so as a result MnO4- would react with the chloride ions.
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  397.0 KB

Why does the equation here have to involve OH- ions??
    It probably says somewhere in the stem of the question something to do with the reaction occurring in alkaline conditions/resulting in an alkaline solution. Edit: and the hydroxide ions are included to balance the equation.

But your answer to the question above is not correct by the way. Equilibrium does shift to the RHS but that is because carbon dioxide reacts with water to produce carbonic acid. The carbonic acid reacts with the hydroxide ions therefore decreases the concentration of hydroxide so equilibrium shifts to the right to counteract the change.

ReputationRep:
    Using the redox systems in Table.1 construct an equation for a reaction between acidified dichromate and CHOOH

But the table has two CHOOH, how do you know which one to choose? Name:  image.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  238.7 KB
    It says reaction between CHOOH and acidified dichromate, meaning:

Acidified dichromate + HCOOH..

how do we get that? Well using the anticlockwise rule, we need the hcooh to be on the right hand side of the equation so use the first equation with hcooh

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling about the two exams?? After last years papers, I reckon f324 will be slightly easier and f325 marginally harder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    It probably says somewhere in the stem of the question something to do with the reaction occurring in alkaline conditions/resulting in an alkaline solution. Edit: and the hydroxide ions are included to balance the equation.

But your answer to the question above is not correct by the way. Equilibrium does shift to the RHS but that is because carbon dioxide reacts with water to produce carbonic acid. The carbonic acid reacts with the hydroxide ions therefore decreases the concentration of hydroxide so equilibrium shifts to the right to counteract the change.
    Yeah I know, these questions were answered months ago when I didn't know the content well
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zirak46)
    It says reaction between CHOOH and acidified dichromate, meaning:

Acidified dichromate + HCOOH..

how do we get that? Well using the anticlockwise rule, we need the hcooh to be on the right hand side of the equation so use the first equation with hcooh
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heisenberg___)
    How is everyone feeling about the two exams?? After last years papers, I reckon f324 will be slightly easier and f325 marginally harder
    Oh great. Pls f325 dont be hard.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed OCR gives us 2 easy papers as they're probably focusing on their new spec.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed OCR gives us 2 easy papers as they're probably focusing on their new spec.
    I believe papers are made some years in advance....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There was a question on electrode potentials in a paper. I can't remember it exactly but it said in alkaline conditions OH- reacted with H+ shifting equilibrium to the other side because the removal of H+ ions made the electrode potential more negative?
    Does anyone know why this is or is it just something we should know?

ReputationRep:
    There was a question on electrode potentials in a paper. I can't remember it exactly but it said in alkaline conditions OH- reacted with H+ shifting equilibrium to the other side because the removal of H+ ions made the electrode potential more negative?
    Does anyone know why this is or is it just something we should know?
    I think its if H+ was in the product side of equilibrium and the concentration of it is decreased, the equilibirium will shift to the left to conpensate and reduce EP doing so.
    If H+ was on right and it decreased in concentration, the EP will increase

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.