The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leavingthecity
Ignore this user in all discussions of Finance and Careers. His contribution is usually nonsense.

He does sound like a massive troll actually.
Reply 161
Yes

/endthread
Original post by Princepieman
He does sound like a massive troll actually.

And his aspiration is to be an African dictator. And head JP Morgans operations in Africa.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkk
And his aspiration is to be an African dictator. And head JP Morgans operations in Africa.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkk

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Ok, I'm fully done. Not listening to him anymore if that's his aspiration, delusions of grandeur anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a joke. Banks don't care how 'complex' your work is, they care about who makes them money. And the fact is a banking VP balancing leading deal teams with procuring new leads, is much more valuable to a bank than a quant who, is effectively, a trader's assistant.

Sure, quants make a lot in quant hedge funds where their skills are applied to make money, but in a bank, the revenue generators are king.

Keep believing that lol.

Quants make the most money for banks, full stop.

Early 2000s quants made billions for banks designing sub prime mortgage packages for example.

Even for things as simple as model building for optimal mergers in IB etc

If I'm honest I don't understand why a bank would waste its time hiring a non stats/maths/physics candidate.

The candidate will be weaker, and less useful.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Ok, I'm fully done. Not listening to him anymore if that's his aspiration, delusions of grandeur anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know, it was this type of arrogant boy that made me decide to go into finance. I wanted to prove their ignorance and was curious to see the reality vs the crap they were spouting.
Original post by debs20153
I know its possible however it is EXTREMELY diffucult to do

It's not - it's easy!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I was thinking more like delusions of sexiness. Oh wait, did I say delusions? I meant facts!
Original post by throwawaycon
A top quant job is with Renaissance or Jane street though, where salaries are generous.

Definitely. Jane street and co are where quants thrive/see the most upside, it's unfortunately not the case for quants working in banks.

Good point!

Posted from TSR Mobile
this thread is downright pitiful, to put it nicely
Original post by gr8wizard10
this thread is downright pitiful, to put it nicely

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 170
Original post by King Scorchy
It's not - it's easy!

I was thinking more like delusions of sexiness. Oh wait, did I say delusions? I meant facts!

If it was so easy, you would have done it by now.
There are many opportunities for businesses but with high risk since 80% fail within the first 18 months.
You're making ridiculous points with no evidence to back yourself up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by djibbo
If it was so easy, you would have done it by now.
There are many opportunities for businesses but with high risk since 80% fail within the first 18 months.
You're making ridiculous points with no evidence to back yourself up.

See, that's what stops people from achieving massive things.

You could say the same about guitar. 80% fail within the first 18 months. The rest pick that flippin' guitar back up and become masters. What percentage of people that learn to play guitar actually follow it through and end up as virtuosos? Not many, because the longer they go, the more likely they are to give up (due to a whole multitude of reasons).

You can apply the same reasoning to making billions. The longer you go, the more you know how to do it, but the longer the period of time (or the harder the effort), the less the amount of people that go all the way.

People are generally weak and lazy - seriously.

If you want billions, you can have it.

As for my billions, I'm 25 now. I started on this when I was 24 - so I have only just started out.

So it's as if you're asking me why I'm not a virtuoso at guitar yet when I only started last year. And saying that, it doesn't mean that everyone masters something in the same time. Most people would only devote, say, one hour a day (or a few hours) learning to play guitar. And they would have many days where they didn't even play! So what would happen if one person decided to practice guitar, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week?

That person would become a master fast. And you can apply similar reasoning to making billions.
See, that's what stops people from achieving massive things.

You could say the same about guitar. 80% fail within the first 18 months. The rest pick that flippin' guitar back up and become masters. What percentage of people that learn to play guitar actually follow it through and end up as virtuosos? Not many, because the longer they go, the more likely they are to give up (due to a whole multitude of reasons).

You can apply the same reasoning to making billions. The longer you go, the more you know how to do it, but the longer the period of time (or the harder the effort), the less the amount of people that go all the way.

People are generally weak and lazy - seriously.

If you want billions, you can have it.

As for my billions, I'm 25 now. I started on this when I was 24 - so I have only just started out.

So it's as if you're asking me why I'm not a virtuoso at guitar yet when I only started last year. And saying that, it doesn't mean that everyone masters something in the same time. Most people would only devote, say, one hour a day (or a few hours) learning to play guitar. And they would have many days where they didn't even play! So what would happen if one person decided to practice guitar, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week?

That person would become a master fast. And you can apply similar reasoning to making billions.

Come back in 30 years and tell us again when you have some credibility.

Bye.
Come back in 30 years and tell us again when you have some credibility.

Bye.

I don't need to, it's a fact.

Just like you don't need to become a rocket scientist to know how to do it.
I don't need to, it's a fact.

Just like you don't need to become a rocket scientist to know how to do it.

Obvious troll.
Obvious troll.

Nope, there's a science to making money, just like with everything else.
Nope, there's a science to making money, just like with everything else.

There's a massive social aspect too.

Sorry, explain rocket science to us all?????
There's a massive social aspect too.

Sorry, explain rocket science to us all?????

All I'm saying is that if you try, you can make billions of pounds.

And it's not difficult either.

The same goes for lots of things. If you wanted to become a rocket scientist, all you need to do is learn how to do it. Same with making billions.
Reply 178
It is easy. It's easy to make billions and I'm not saying the journey is hard, I'm just saying it looks hard. Like learning to be a brain surgeon, it's actually easy - all you have to do is learn how to do it. And what about the 'much more difficult' things? All you have to do is learn how to do it, and ace it.

There is no cap! Where were we 100 years ago? 1000 years ago? 10,000 years ago and so on? We keep advancing because life is infinite - along with that there are infinite opportunities, including infinite opportunities to make money.

And yes, infinity is a beautiful word.

Not true. You can rise to high places without connections.

True but you can't do an infinite amount infinite things. Your weak. I'm weak. Everyone's weak. All because we need sleep.
Reply 179
All I'm saying is that if you try, you can make billions of pounds.

And it's not difficult either.

The same goes for lots of things. If you wanted to become a rocket scientist, all you need to do is learn how to do it. Same with making billions.

Yeah, it's so easy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending