Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    It's ok mistakes happen it's in the human nature. I was not saying that all autistic people are the same and abuse the system as it would be an insult to myself as well as to those people who really require that extra time. I was just saying that you must have difficulties related to the Autism or any other condition which prevents you from finishing the exam in normal timings.

Some kids are so hostile towards me because of my extra time as they feel I don't need it as I have a high IQ and I am academically gifted, but I would never have the grades I have without the extra time and support I receive.
    I agree people should only have extra time if their condition actually relates to needing extra time, not just because they have a condition which in other peoples cases relates to needing extra time. (If that makes sense.) e.g. someone having ADHD but it not actually affecting their ability to sit an exam but getting the extra time anyway because they have a condition in which with some/a lot even of people would need the extra time. I didn't mean that I thought you thought that all autistic people abuse the system I more meant the kids at your school that you were talking about. Obviously you will know a bit about their conditions if you are friends etc. but do you know for sure that they don't really need the extra help. Sometimes things can look different from various perspectives.

ReputationRep:
    Surely in some (not most!) cases, said person is just a bit 'slow'/dim and so really they are just not as sharp as most and therefore don't deserve an advantage as it is not a condition as such if they are just slow, maybe it's like giving someone extra time in maths because it takes them longer to work with numbers, or giving someone extra time in history as it takes them longer to understand a source, so they're essentially gaining an advantage for, not being 'thicker' necessary, just not as intuitive as they should be... Kinda hard to explain in words my logic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oli19919)
    Surely in some (not most!) cases, said person is just a bit 'slow'/dim and so really they are just not as sharp as most and therefore don't deserve an advantage as it is not a condition as such if they are just slow, maybe it's like giving someone extra time in maths because it takes them longer to work with numbers, or giving someone extra time in history as it takes them longer to understand a source, so they're essentially gaining an advantage for, not being 'thicker' necessary, just not as intuitive as they should be... Kinda hard to explain in words my logic...
    Yeah I think there's a lot of that happening.

I haven't been tested for anything but it's obvious something's not quite right! But my processing time is fast and I don't struggle with understanding questions. My handwriting could barley be called writing and my spelling is abominable no matter how many times Ive seen a word or tried to spell it (for example, writing words back to front or not writing the first letter of every word). I can't hold a pen properly, god knows why, it just really hurts and I compose several paragraphs of answer in my head before writing it down which makes it look as if I'm just sat there staring into space for 50% of the time.

But I refuse to be tested or given free stuff or extra time. I just have to try harder. I've worked for several years now and wouldn't have been cut any slack by these companies. That's the real world, better be prepared for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    It's not about getting significantly better grades, its about achieving your full potential.
    That's what I meant

ReputationRep:
    Alright I've been away for a bit and have quite a few replies so apologies if this post is long.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is ridiculous and incredibly insulting to people who sit or have sat foundation exams. Sitting a foundation exam doesn't mean your brain is slower

No it doesn't of course. However, if you feel your brain is slower than others you might want to take a simpler exam such as a foundation paper but you don't have to of course.

(Original post by Mazzy95)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Your comments are starting to irritate me. Do you have all these disabilities that other posters have mentioned in your conversations with them? Because you can't actually truly understand until you have them. People that read information off the internet and act like they know exactly what it is and make 'informed and judgmental opinions' on other people that do have these conditions, as though you have the right to do, so irritate me. The commenter who has autism is going to know more about autism than you. (If you actually have autism then fair play that is fine to make general comments about autism as a condition however you still shouldn't be having an opinion on this specific poster as you know nothing about them and their individual condition.) You don't have the right to say that they shouldn't be getting extra time because it doesn't count as a specific type of disability (a specific type that you think has the right to extra time over other types of disability. Bizarre logic and very discriminatory.)

TSR is full of people that like to make judgmental opinions on others when they actually know nothing about those people and they pull off definitions from the internet in order to actually know what they are even talking about! Stop being so ignorant and have some compassion. Some people deserve extra help with their exams. Just like some people deserve extra help with life in general.

I don't have all these disabilities no, whatever you meant by that. I don't know what you mean by 'truly understand' either. I understand what these disabilities mean regarding the ability to take exams but I don't need to know absolutely everything there is to know on the subject. Neither do you.

Actually I haven't judged anyone or commented on specific people. I just think extra time in exams is unfair in certain situations.

There are people with autism on this thread who believe autism is not enough of a reason to have extra time. Therefore if they know so much according to you, are you gonna accept what they say? That's the problem with using appeal to authority arguments like the one you just used.

You come across as quite ignorant actually. I agree with you that some people deserve help taking exams. Why exactly are you so irritated?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not necessarily. Disabilities affect people differently. Some may have no trouble reading the question but then struggle with interpreting and vice versa. Its not as black and white as you make it out to be.

You are literally being tested on your ability to interpret things! That's what exams do! Very black and white.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I disagree. I have Autism and a serious problem for me is how I process written and spoken language. One of the reasons why I need extra time is because of how I understand language. It can take me several attempts to read what to you is a fairly basic question in order to understand it. And no, it has nothing to do with intelligence. It's to do with how my brain is wired.

I don't see how this contradicts what I said. You're saying you are able understand the question but in a different way. I said that if you can't process what you have to do after you understand it then you shouldn't be given extra time.

If by the word 'understand', you just mean you find it difficult to join words together in a sentence when you read them (i.e. a slow reader) then yes this is similar to dyslexia and you should be given extra time.

I never mentioned intelligence. As I said to another poster, exams do not test IQ.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by xylas)

There are people with autism on this thread who believe autism is not enough of a reason to have extra time. Therefore if they know so much according to you, are you gonna accept what they say? That's the problem with using appeal to authority arguments like the one you just used.
    It's a spectrum. Some people with Autism cope perfectly well without extra time. Others do need extra time in order to complete the exam to the best of their ability.

I don't see how this contradicts what I said. You're saying you are able understand the question but in a different way. I said that if you can't process what you have to do after you understand it then you shouldn't be given extra time.

If by the word 'understand', you just mean you find it difficult to join words together in a sentence when you read them (i.e. a slow reader) then yes this is similar to dyslexia and you should be given extra time.
    It's completely different to Dyslexia. It has nothing to do with joining words together. The problem for me is how I understand language. You can't for example, use metaphors with me because they make no sense at all. I've usually got to read some things several times before they actually make any sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    It's the handwriting speed one that is really open to abuse. I don't know enough about the others to know.

It's the cliff edge nature of the nothing/25% that seems odd. (There are also arrangements that allow 50% extra time and more, but the vast majority are on 25%). I appreciate it's probably there to make it easy to administer but it's not very logical.

Assessments for access arrangements test a range of stuff, all of which are taken to be equally important. The results are standardised at 100 and if you score less than 85 on a test that is the trigger for getting extra time. I have seen some assessments that tested so many things I suspect anyone taking them all would land up scoring under 85 in something. At the moment you score 84 in one thing and everything else is well over 100 and you get 25% extra time. Score everything under 100 but nothing below 85 and you probably get nothing. I'm not saying a fairer system would be easy to devise, just that the current one isn't very logical or fair.

Very interestings thanks for the info

(Original post by Airmed)
    I got rest breaks during my A2s due to that I was very ill; I still have the option to take rest breaks now at university. But after having done my GCSEs and AS Levels with no rest breaks/extra time, my grades did not improve at A2 when I had rest breaks.
    What are rest breaks, I was offered them but chose more time instead

ReputationRep:
    I think extra time/any access arrangements are totally justified!
    Personally I'm totally deaf in my right, have mild hearing loss in my left and have tinnitus. Yet 2 of my 3 a level choices as Spanish and french, for both of which listening in the exam is worth 25% of my overall grade!

We do our listening through head phones and can play it as many times as we like. For this reason I get 25% extra time and if i wanted a separate small quiet room. I was offered a live speaker so I could lip read but declined.

I get this time because when my tinnitus is bad I literally cannot hear/focus on anything and also it takes me time to adjust to new voices, even more so in foreign languages! Why should I be penalised for a condition I have no control over that could destroy 2 of my 3 grades.

Without the extra time to do my listening there is no way I would be on track for A*s in both languages. If you think I don't deserve that time, please explain how.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's a spectrum. Some people with Autism cope perfectly well without extra time. Others do need extra time in order to complete the exam to the best of their ability.

It's completely different to Dyslexia. It has nothing to do with joining words together. The problem for me is how I understand language. You can't for example, use metaphors with me because they make no sense at all. I've usually got to read some things several times before they actually make any sense at all.
    That's what I've been saying!

It's not completely different but I was only using dyslexia as an example. I understand language is involved in autism but this does not by that fact alone warrant extra time. That's it. My only point on the matter.

Btw we all understand things in different ways. The only way round that is to practise, practise, practise exams until we get good at them.

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't of course. However, if you feel your brain is slower than others you might want to take a simpler exam such as a foundation paper but you don't have to of course.
    I don't know what you mean by having a slow brain, but how would a foundation paper change that? By slower, I presume you mean longer to understand and interpret things, which definitely sounds like some sort of condition/learning disability, particularly if it's been an issue for a long time. In that case, you'd be rewarded extra time, not necessarily an easier paper. It would be slightly unfair to make them do a lower tier paper, because they may well be capable of an A grade, but you're capping them at a C because they have a condition.

You come across as quite ignorant actually. I agree with you that some people deserve help taking exams. Why exactly are you so irritated?
    lol

You are literally being tested on your ability to interpret things! That's what exams do! Very black and white.
    the difficulties that people suffer with are not black and white. They may suffer from the same disability, but it can affect each person differently.

You can't seem to understand that a disability/condition/illness can affect each person differently! For instance, person A with dyslexia may have no problem interpreting a question but may require someone to read for them.
    Person B with dyslexia may have no trouble reading a question but may need someone to interpret for them.
    Both are entitled to extra time.

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter though? Ilf they need extra time and can prove it, I'm not really that fussed, at the end of the day it's a minority, just focus on yourself and make sure you achieve the highest possible mark you can get, so you won't be in the predicament of worrying about others.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you mean by having a slow brain, but how would a foundation paper change that? By slower, I presume you mean longer to understand and interpret things, which definitely sounds like some sort of condition/learning disability, particularly if it's been an issue for a long time. In that case, you'd be rewarded extra time, not necessarily an easier paper. It would be slightly unfair to make them do a lower tier paper, because they may well be capable of an A grade, but you're capping them at a C because they have a condition.

The difficulties that people suffer with are not black and white. They may suffer from the same disability, but it can affect each person differently. You can't seem to understand that a disability/condition/illness can affect each person differently! For instance, person A with dyslexia may have no problem interpreting a question but may require someone to read for them.
    Person B with dyslexia may have no trouble reading a question but may need someone to interpret for them.
    Both are entitled to extra time.
    Yes that it what I mean. It may sound like a learning disability but it doesn't have to be. You could literally just be less capable, hence in a lower grade. Exams are meant to test understanding and interpretation which you won't admit for some reason but is sooo obvious it is black and white.

I have said multiple times (more than anyone on this thread) that people with dyslexia should have extra time! I think you have run out of points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Yes that it what I mean. It may sound like a learning disability but it doesn't have to be. You could literally just be less capable, hence in a lower grade. Exams are meant to test understanding and interpretation which you won't admit for some reason but is sooo obvious it is black and white.
    If you're slower and are struggling to understand because you have a disability then extra time should be rewarded.
    If you're slower and struggling to understand because you did not prepare/revise then extra time should not be rewarded.

I have said multiple times (more than anyone on this thread) that people with dyslexia should have extra time! I think you have run out of points...
    No, you said that being slower to interpret things does not equal a disability, when in fact, it's a common symptom of dyslexia..

ReputationRep:
    If you're slower and are struggling to understand because you have a disability then extra time should be rewarded.
    If you're slower and struggling to understand because you did not prepare/revise then extra time should not be rewarded.

No, you said that being slower to interpret things does not equal a disability, when in fact, it's a common symptom of dyslexia..

Literally your 2nd paragraph is what you said in the 1st. We agree /discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    No, it's completely unfair. That's not even counting the thousands of people who are perfectly capable but get extra time!
    It's unfair having autism or dyslexia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The average writing speed for a 16 year old is taken as 16.9 wpm.

Extra time for slow handwriting is only meant to be given for students not able to use a word processor.
    so little? I'm shocked!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Literally your 2nd paragraph is what you said in the 1st. We agree /discussion
    No we don't agree, but I'm tired of discussing this with you so we'll just leave it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    It's unfair having autism or dyslexia.
    life's not fair mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    life's not fair mate
    You're right, so you should stop complaining about people getting extra time and just get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    You're right, so you should stop complaining about people getting extra time and just get on with it.
    but extra time isn't the 'life' part of it... my main problem isn't with the disabled people who have it, it's with the very large proportion of people who have no reason to have it, yet are still given extra time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.