Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    I don't think that at all. It isn't really ego that gets in the way of it, it's just that men are different in terms of neurology. Men tend to be a lot more introverted where women are more extroverted. Men will cry around their mates, but usually only very trusted ones.
    i know all men are not the same but im specifically on about these men who think their hard men with reputations to uphold.
    i fully respect the fact many many men are happy to cry whenever and whenever around whoever

ReputationRep:
    having to tell the women what to do. and that they are supposed to cook and clean lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jory)
    Pretty sure my history teacher is very sexist. Basically when we're in her class (im in y13) me and my two friends will be "picked on" so basically told off or she'll have a go at us for something then one of the girls would do it and get cleanly away, example my friend asked if our teacher had marked our essays - perfectly acceptable question and she shouted at him saying she had had no time and for him to have more respect, one of the girls asked later and the teacher replied as sweetly as possible that she hadn't had time but would be doing them soon.
    Last year I handed in an essay that this girl got 50/50 on and got 28/50, I copied her word for word. happened multiple times. At one point I got shouted at infront of everyone for talking during standing in silence outside the college for the firealarm when id been standing silent. The girls get all the help because they fake breakdowns in order to get help, then they think theyre going to do well and don't. Again an example was yesterday when one of the "A grade" students asked if the supreme court was the same thing as congress, and I was sat there like tf? and yeah I know that maybe you might dismiss this but in my opinion its sexism.
    It certainly seems like it. Girls seem to be more favored in academia in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    i know all men are not the same but im specifically on about these men who think their hard men with reputations to uphold.
    i fully respect the fact many many men are happy to cry whenever and whenever around whoever
    However, isn't it their choice to try and maintain that reputation? If they want to try and be the one who can show adversity through hardship, why should we brand them as 'not real men'?

ReputationRep:
    It certainly seems like it. Girls seem to be more favored in academia in recent times.
    Last year in the revision classes everytime the teacher even looked at the table where there were 6 boys (me included) one of the girls would kick up a fuss and in the end we just got no help
    In our coursework now one of my friends just needed a single question to be answered and he just got ignored and 4 of the girls got indepth feedback because they were making a big fuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lillyroselove)
    Mainly that everyone pays their taxes and as long as someone pays their taxes then they should get equal treatment within the NHS. And that the motion doesn't take into account people's medical history, and whether they have a condition that makes them overweight. And how the term 'overweight' is to be measured. Satisfied yet?
    Not really, because you would be able to tear apart that argument in two seconds.
    I am not going to be the one to derail the thread though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Leona-L)
    I'm interested to hear people's personal experiences with sexism, to and from both men and women: it'll be interesting to see examples of how widespread certain thoughts & patterns of behaviour surrounding gender are. This isn't a competition, I just want to identify and discuss recurring trends

I'll start with my own example: In college a few weeks ago I was walking to the library when I came across a group of A2 boys. One of them saw me coming and held the door for me, so I thanked him as I passed - but as I passed him I noticed that the only reason he'd held the door for me was so he could get a good look at my arse as I walked away. I ignored this, but as I left I heard him kiss his teeth and say "your bum is so flat, how do you call yourself a girl?"
    I got sent home because I was attacked by 2 people, one boy (who attacked first) and one girl. I of course defended myself, tackled the guy over, and she started swinging for my face so I punched her in the face. I was quite young at the time, and it wasn't a great lesson to learn that justice does not exist.

I am always told to man up, can't get you're work done? Man up, it's all men are meant to do.

I was nearly mutilated without my consent at birth, but luckily I didn't get circumcised. Women are lucky they have legal protection on this.

By far the most degrading, however, has been being seen as a cashpoint. People latch onto me and my friends simply to get something out of it, and therefore you're whole social life is ruined, and the woman just walks away with money. I haven't ever met someone who isn't a "gold digger", all of the girls I meet expect me to pay for their food drink, even if I just met them randomly.

ReputationRep:
    1. If you don't want to take precautions to reduce risk then you bear the burden of risk.

2. Complete rubbish. How about you teach children not to steal, then I won't put locks on my doors. Realize how silly it sounds? I also note you ignore men can be raped too, good job with your sexism.

3. It was however, a primarily a UK and US movement, good job not understanding the third world or history in general.

4.Queen Elizabeth the first was a very minor Tudor in terms of relative history. And Mary ruled for 5 years and was purely responsible for a singular event, the Catholic/Protestant 'war'. Don't use your inherent lack of historical knowledge to accuse people of sexism.

5. Why? It simply isn't relevant to the time period and what was happening, there wasn't much 'social revolution'. If you were talking about Charles the first or Russian tsars it would be different.

6. Really? Then you know little about literature. For example, the Bronte sisters. Very little literature was written by women in the classical world because it was published under male pseudonyms. That is a result of society at the time. Furthermore, as a result, most authors of classic literature were male.
    Teaching about consent is important. You are ignoring the reality of rape and sexual assault and just giving women a list of things not to do.

If a person is raped, it is not their fault or responsibility. We don't even teach that you have a right to say no to sex. The fact that most rapes occur within the context of a romantic relationship is not discussed.

And the suffrage movement has changed the lives of women in Britain.

We didn't learn about them. I do have quite a good level of historical knowledge. I want to learn about the Tudor women because they are interesting individuals.

The suffrage movement was very influential on the life of every woman in Britain today. The fact that we have the right to vote, don't have to promise to obey our husbands, have the right to initiate divorce proceedings, have the right to work in whichever career we choose, maternity leave, the ability to wear what we want, equal pay legislation, the fact that marital rape is a crime and the fact that we are able to hold public office, is purely because of the work that the suffragists and suffragettes carried out in the last century.

The lives of ordinary people (including women) should be taught because it gives an accurate account of the past. Working class social movements should be covered, such as the Chartist movement of the 1840s.

Lots of women have written books. The fact that not one was studied in school really is remarkable. The Brontë sisters wrote books, as did Elizabeth Gaskell, Jane Austen, George Eliot, Virginia Woolf, Mary Shelley, Harper Lee, Louisa May Alcott, Margaret Mitchell, Harriet Beacher Stowe, Noel Stratfield, Michelle Magorian, JK Rowling, L.M. Montgomery and many more. All those authors are suitable to study in English Literature. I studied none of them. They all wrote astonishing, game changing books that are acknowledged as some of the best in their genre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Shame that your sister is unable to follow a simple dress code. It's not a case of "being distracting for boys" its a case of being inappropriate attire for a work environment ffs

We've all seen your posts on here, you can't take a joke....
    Since when is having a skirt that's near the knee in any way sexual. If you think it is then you need help.

Oh I can sweetheart. Just not around annoying people like you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I got sent home because I was attacked by 2 people, one boy (who attacked first) and one girl. I of course defended myself, tackled the guy over, and she started swinging for my face so I punched her in the face. I was quite young at the time, and it wasn't a great lesson to learn that justice does not exist.

I am always told to man up, can't get you're work done? Man up, it's all men are meant to do.

I was nearly mutilated without my consent at birth, but luckily I didn't get circumcised. Women are lucky they have legal protection on this.

By far the most degrading, however, has been being seen as a cashpoint. People latch onto me and my friends simply to get something out of it, and therefore you're whole social life is ruined, and the woman just walks away with money. I haven't ever met someone who isn't a "gold digger", all of the girls I meet expect me to pay for their food drink, even if I just met them randomly.
    First two points are definitely examples of injustice/sexism, and more attention needs to be drawn to these issues, but the "gold digger" thing sounds like you've just met some *****y people. I've been treated as a cashpoint by "friends" of both genders, and personally I'd never expect to be paid for. In fact I'd hate it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.