Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    I've genuinely never stumbled across the colloquialism 'ace' before in regards to asexuality, I was reading the thread responses completely lost as to what 'ace' meant other than being synonymous with 'cool.'

Edit - didn't mean to quote
    I've only ever seen it on TSR tbh :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Every gay person I've ever met has told me they were born the way they are. Why do you think you know better?
    I don't think people are born gay. I think that it is a bunch of environmental factors leading to the age of 11 (when puberty starts) and the unconscious side of your body decides to be gay or straight.

It still stands that being gay is not a choice because you aren't making the decision on a conscious level. It's out of your control.

I don't understand how a male could love the feeling of getting penetrated or having their lips on someone's **** and vice versa. Alternatively ,a vagina is a much better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.SA)
    Just because the percentages are similar doesn't mean it's the same people. And if it is a "genetic disorder" then wouldn't that mean that being homosexual is defined by genetics and not decisions? People are "confused" because they grow up in a world which promote heterosexuality, and when you start feeling something different you wonder why that is because it hasn't been explained to you by your parents, friends or society I.e confusion.
    You've somehow managed to argue my points by agreeing with me, impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunq)
    It still stands that being gay is not a choice because you aren't making the decision on a conscious level. It's out of your control.
    I wouldn't call that a choice, I'd call it a predetermined factor based on environmental influences.

Would it not depend on the individual definition of choice though, whether or not people include a conscious rationale in their interpretation?

ReputationRep:
    yeah I agree. Being gay is a choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlteredBoy)
    I wouldn't call that a choice, I'd call it a predetermined factor based on environmental influences.

Would it not depend on the individual definition of choice though, whether or not people include a conscious rationale in their interpretation?
    I'd say the individual definition of choice does matter. If you think unconscious choices (choices you are unaware of) is your choice then, being gay is a choice. However I don't believe that to be your personal conscious choice. So my opinion still stands that being gay isn't a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    You've somehow managed to argue my points by agreeing with me, impressive.
    What I'm trying to say is, confusion doesn't mean that being gay is a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Of course it's a choice! You don't feel attracted to men when you pop out, now do you? Ot's a choice, science says so, and people just say no it isn't to not "offend" homosexuals.
    You don't feel attracted to anyone when you "pop out"!! Obviously, we can't know that for certain because nobody remembers their first thought, but it's more likely to be a general feeling of hunger and lack of warmth than "wow look at the pretty nurse!"
    We're not actually aware of anything more than familial attraction for a whille...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    yeah I agree. Being gay is a choice
    Yeah I agree, you're devoid of any intelligence

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, you're devoid of any intelligence
    and what have you accomplished in your life that makes you smarter than Einstein?

ReputationRep:
    and what have you accomplished in your life that makes you smarter than Einstein?
    Did I mention I was smarter than Einstein? Merely expressing my distaste at your lack of intellect. It's all good mate, it's not your fault you inherited poor genetics.

ReputationRep:
    Did I mention I was smarter than Einstein? Merely expressing my distaste at your lack of intellect. It's all good mate, it's not your fault you inherited poor genetics.
    what makes it acceptable for you to be an idiot but not for me to point it out?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not going to lie, a long time ago I did agree with the 'being gay is a choice' thing, but then I thought to myself.
    A lot of gay people are constantly persecuted and hated on.
    And also in countries where being gay carries the death penalty or imprisonment, people are still gay.

ReputationRep:
    what makes it acceptable for you to be an idiot but not for me to point it out?
    I'm afraid you're making absolutely no sense. You can point out I'm an idiot if you like, it kinda turns me on

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you're making absolutely no sense. You can point out I'm an idiot if you like, it kinda turns me on
    say wallah!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ADVICE: get a life

ReputationRep:
    Don't see how sexuality is a choice. You obviously like the opposite sex, and you didn't specifically choose to like that gender, it just happened.

ReputationRep:
    say wallah!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ADVICE: get a life
    Hark at her who is filled with ignorance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No it's not. I would choose to be heterosexual anyday and I think the vast majority of LGBTQIA people would. You are wrong.
    im bi and love it more choice

ReputationRep:
    Hark at her who is filled with ignorance
    I hope you get better luck when you use that brain of yours next time
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It would make your life much better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.