The Student Room Group

iGCSE English Language [Unofficial Mark scheme]

Scroll to see replies

hi all,

for Q1, BP3 could I say she would plan to visit the animal sanctuary as her husband want prevent her this time
Original post by Perfection Ace
Holy smack I ain't got none of that on bullet point 3. DAMMIT!

Aha neither hoping paper 3 will make up for it

:crossedf:
does anyone know what marks were needed including coursework to get a A,B and a C?
How did everybody write for question 3b?? I honestly flopped that
Reply 164
There was something about orange tree?
Will I lose marks for ending the letter with ' yours faithfully'?
no as long as you got the stuff in the bullet points
I have just woken up realising I used a highlighter pen in my 15 points for Q 3. I can't beleive I did that. I have been practising at home with past papers and used one to sort the points out into paragraphs. Will the whole answer be void? I am already planning my resit -I was predicted an A*. I am guessing that there is a problem with scanning? If it scans ok will I be alright? If not, if I get it re-marked will they look at the original paper and give me the benefit of the doubt? Feeling so sick...
Man i talked about how what they did would determine what to do for the rest of the trip according to the husbands injury for BP3For example, -I said we would take more excursions if the husband was fit enough -I said we would just stay in the hotel and relax -I said we would maybe have to leave earlier than planned because the husband's injury was very serious and he wasn't able to do anything

Would I get any marks for this?
The hotel was quite far away in an isolated area hence was a negative point about hotel and staff Q1
Hello all,

I retook this exam and feel that last years paper, I may have gotten a better mark. I managed to move my speaking and listening grade up. If I got a worst grade in yesterday's paper than in last years paper which papers grade will I get??
Reply 171
Aslong as you didn't get even a speckle of highlighter fluid anywhere on your answer page, you'll be totally fine. You're allowed to use the highlighter in your insert as it doesn't get scanned. The only problem with it is Incase you accidentally put the ink on your answer paper, because when they scan it- it will most likely block up a whole section of your answer
Original post by conradliebers
The hotel was quite far away in an isolated area hence was a negative point about hotel and staff Q1

I said that due to it being far away the feeling of solitude was immense hahaha I got this from another paper I did lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelpMylifePlzz
Hello all,

I retook this exam and feel that last years paper, I may have gotten a better mark. I managed to move my speaking and listening grade up. If I got a worst grade in yesterday's paper than in last years paper which papers grade will I get??

I think they'd take the better grade. Thats what they normally do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 174
Original post by conradliebers

But this wasn't an expectation of the hotel? It's something Maria found out after she got there. And it can't have been an a2, because it was all about Mr.Heads 'Behaviour' not what he thought about the hotel?
Reply 175
Original post by examhater44
Man i talked about how what they did would determine what to do for the rest of the trip according to the husbands injury for BP3For example, -I said we would take more excursions if the husband was fit enough -I said we would just stay in the hotel and relax -I said we would maybe have to leave earlier than planned because the husband's injury was very serious and he wasn't able to do anything

Would I get any marks for this?

I agree with all your points, except from the last one about leaving earlier than planned because of his injuries. Because in the passage it said that his injuries weren't severe. It was only a 'few cuts and bruises, nothing too serious'
Original post by CaSama9
[Keep checking! I will be updating. This is only a guideline on what most people put, please be free to add any other points]

With the help of Kryll, j_ball_99 and a few others.
COMPLETE

Question One
-----------------------
Letter beginning with Dear friend...

What were her first impressions of the hotel and the staff?

Al was generous as he waited in the airport for the guests to arrive, quite unusual.

The Gardners discussion was nice

Pre-arranged journey after airport

Al seemed to care about her neck pain and tried to improve stay whenever Al could

Hotels dining room was good

The landscape and artwork

But impression that it was all 'put on' by Al.

And perhaps a problem staff wise due to the half full booking...

What was her husband's attitude and behaviour like? And what were her feelings towards it?

Threw a tantrum at market at her

Child like immature/irresponsible

Pressured Al into putting him in group

During dinner said that Als plans were boring

Refused to hike due to rubble on top of the hill- rude

Refused to go to the animal sanctuary

Arrogance lead to injuries in rafting

What were her plans for the remaining week?

To collect him from hospital

Fill out any medical forms

To persuade him not to file a complaint

To go to the airport by Friday to go home

Spend remaining days writing notebook

Spend remaining days with bees and seeing how she can help

.Explore the history and area of the place

Leave a good reputation after her husband, before she leaves

Visit the animal sanctuary

Hike on the hill that her husband refused to go

And a signed off letter with anything like 'Lots of Love'

Question Two
-----------------
Some examples:
a)

Staged scenes: carefully put together, dramatic like a play.

Laced with sunlight: lit beautifully, lace is something fine and expensive, special, high quality, romantic...But also pure and spiritual due to connotations of light

Half-forgotten sandy roads; like a picture book - nostalgic - movie like and also old/ ancient due to sand gathering on it

Conjuring a charming mirage - skillfully constructed, like a wizard; impressive,magical

White-washed walls: alliteration highlighting how perfectly painted they are. Purity due to connotations of white and sense of religion/spiritual.

Embroidered gowns: fine detail, links to silk.Imagery of a fairytale kingdom

b)

Bits of cloth - cheap, incomplete material, poverty

Rainbow of produce - varied, colourful, wide range of produces/ dishes

Beehive that was the old town - busy, all working hard and quickly going their separate ways

Straggling market stalls - slow, like someone losing a race

Tatty trinkets - useless bits, cheap and cheesy, badly made

Question 3
----------------------------
Examples:
1. 30% of crops rely on bees like apples cherries
2. They use natural pollination
3. Without them could be global starvation
4. They help grow and produce healthy foods
5. The honey they produce is used in medicines
6. They can show us our environmental health
7. Help make costs for farmers steady/ under control?
8. Bees are essentially free labour for the food industry
9. CCD
10. Chemicals and pesticides which alter their behavior fatally
11. Lack of genetic pool- susceptible to diease
12. The blood-sucking mite
13. Lack of nutritious bee friendly flowers
14. Transportation of hives which causes stress
15. Putting bees in cities will leave wild bees with less nectar
16. Climate change and bizzare local weather
17. Fungal infections so viruses
18. Increase in bees in city restricting nectar available for wild honeybees

And more forgotten points...

b) Summary
/5 if you wrote 200-250 words, used all the points and was concise.

Did anyone pick up on the fact that on question 2 they seemed to be asking about how the peice of writing was written not how she described the area? I'm now worried that I was overthinking it in the exam due to nerves but I wrote a chunky paragraph on the word 'ancient' then crossed it out with 20 minutes to go and used words such as "conjured" and "entranced" and "staged a scene". Do you think I was right to or was I along the right lines to start with?
Original post by Dballan
I agree with all your points, except from the last one about leaving earlier than planned because of his injuries. Because in the passage it said that his injuries weren't severe. It was only a 'few cuts and bruises, nothing too serious'

Point me out if I'm wrong but didn't the passage say that Maria and Al had arranged to pick the husband up at the end of the trip on their way to the airport therefore Maria would be spending the rest of her stay on her own? I talked about how she would finally have some peace and quiet to write and visit the places her husband refused to go.
Original post by Dballan
But this wasn't an expectation of the hotel? It's something Maria found out after she got there. And it can't have been an a2, because it was all about Mr.Heads 'Behaviour' not what he thought about the hotel?

I actually wrote about this in question 1, A1 as I said it was a positive of the hotel as Maria is a writer therefore I thought she'd appreciate the peace and quiet of being away from society for a few days?
Original post by revisionmadeeasy
This has reassured me. I managed to attain an A* average in coursework worth 40% (37/40) and a high A in Speaking and listening (26/30), so I believe I should get an A* or A overall? ps. Does anyone know how to calculate the marks I needed to get an A*?

Didn't your school do that for you? My teacher calculated it for each student and made a grid of marks. I'm not sure if this will help but it might give you a rough idea, I dropped 3 marks on my coursework overall so that's a 39/40, 39/40 and 40,40 on written coursework and a 29/30 on speaking and listening and I had to get 32 marks in the exam to get an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest