Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird to want to wait until marriage to have sex? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi so basically just what the title says, I'm a bit worried that I'll be unable to have a serious relationship because a lot of guys don't want to wait so long for sex :/ so is it weird? Should I just give up on it?
    Definitely not weird. focus on yourself, your career getting to know yourself better before you invite someone else into your life.
    Don't focus on trying to be with someone, pray for the one to come to you but don't go searching just enjoy life love on others, make meaningful relationships and work hard and that person will come to you.
    When you feel you have found the one you should really take the time to get to know them as a friend if you can before moving forward, really understand the ins and outs of that person if you intend to stay with them for the rest of life.

“Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”**1 Corinthians‬ *6:16-20‬ *

That is why sex is for after marriage (marriage being the magical thing, only because that is when you make yours vows of commitment before God and before witnesses) - the 'prostitute' bit is a bit extreme, and essentially Paul is just trying to show how psychologically and spiritually involved sex is
    But it all comes down to this, God created sex as something beyond a mere reproductive system so as to give us a glimpse into the crazy oneness which he experiences in the trinity, (please don't take that too literally though) we are of course made in His image

For further reading beyond Paul's letters Corinthians, CS Lewis' book the four loves is particularly good at helping to understand love and desire etc

ReputationRep:
    I agree it may seem like it's against the norm to wait till marriage to have sex nowadays but its YOUR body. THEREFORE, its not up to boys to decide what you do with it. If you want to save yourself till marriage, so be it. Don't give in if you don't want to. Any boy who's pressuring you to do that isn't worth your giving up your virginity to him right?
    Personally I think it's beautiful, experiencing your first time with someone you love and trust is a good thing.

Even though I'm a Christian and the Bible seems to go against the idea of sex before marriage...I choose to ignore it. Why? Because the stories the Bible reflects is set at a time in which married couples first met each other on the day they were getting married or through arranged marriages, there was no such thing as having a 'boyfriend' like there is now. So of course the Bible will preach against having sex with a complete stranger....

(Original post by ebxnyxo)
    Personally I think it's beautiful, experiencing your first time with someone you love and trust is a good thing.
    Such a state of affairs can exist outside of marriage, too.

ReputationRep:
    Not weird. I didn't and wish I did, not for religious reasons, just personal preference.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    “Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.” But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”**1 Corinthians‬ *6:16-20‬ *

That is why sex is for after marriage (marriage being the magical thing, only because that is when you make yours vows of commitment before God and before witnesses) - the 'prostitute' bit is a bit extreme, and essentially Paul is just trying to show how psychologically and spiritually involved sex is
    But it all comes down to this, God created sex as something beyond a mere reproductive system so as to give us a glimpse into the crazy oneness which he experiences in the trinity, (please don't take that too literally though) we are of course made in His image

For further reading beyond Paul's letters Corinthians, CS Lewis' book the four loves is particularly good at helping to understand love and desire etc
    At least it's not pre-marital sex

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's weird, after all, your life, your body, your choices.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.