• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    CANDIDATES:

What is your stance on the Crisis Committee?
    I would put it 'Under review' - if over the course of 2-3 months, activity in the sub forum was low, and only 1 or 2 crises had been submitted, I would look to close it down. However, if it shows that it can do crises every 3-4 weeks, and provide sufficient debate with the Government etc, then I would be happy to let it continue.

I think it may need the pressure of being 'under review' to actually do something.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    CANDIDATES:

Having only had one reasonable crisis from it in the past year if it can't improve I'll look to end it.

ReputationRep:
    CANDIDATES:

We could probably get one of those board games that randomly combine words into a scenario and still have more fun. I'd either ask the CT if they could turn it into a forum-wide activity (there's a lot of silly role-playing games on this site so perhaps those no-lifers could generate the scenarios and have some weird fun that way) or disband it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    The annoying thing is the hold ups by the powers above that be. I am in contact with Pickles and QC to get things moving, as without private subs/ user groups, it really isn't an easy task.
    Plus the MHOC is a house already stabilised, the MEU- we are talking about something where we need to build on it, and we are working on the foundations!
    But it's been about five months already and you are basically the manager. If you aren't prepared to accept the responsibility, you probably aren't going to be a good Speaker. We don't know what's going on but it doesn't encourage confidence in your abilities… Perhaps you aren't pestering them enough or they lack confidence in the way you manage what you currently have at your disposal and therefore are reluctant to proceed to the next stage.

Moreover, how can you commit to both of these roles and do a good job if previous Speakers could hardly keep up with just one?

ReputationRep:
    CANDIDATES:

The CC has great potential; having been a member since its inception; I know great things are possible, and great ideas are floated around.

Would I close the CC, hell no- I would work with them, and they key is to get good detailed, with follow up crises- which would make everyone appreciate our work!

(Original post by Life_peer)
    But it's been about five months already and you are basically the manager. If you aren't prepared to accept the responsibility, you probably aren't going to be a good Speaker. We don't know what's going on but it doesn't encourage confidence in your abilities… Perhaps you aren't pestering them enough or they lack confidence in the way you manage what you currently have at your disposal and therefore are reluctant to proceed to the next stage.

Moreover, how can you commit to both of these roles and do a good job if previous Speakers could hardly keep up with just one?
    What you don't seem to understand is the workload of the powers above that be, and how little time they have for 'little projects' like the MHOC or MEU. Maybe thats why your deluded as to why they will work with you on your dashboard!

ReputationRep:
    What you don't seem to understand is the workload of the powers above that be, and how little time they have for 'little projects' like the MHOC or MEU. Maybe thats why your deluded as to why they will work with you on your dashboard!
    User groups are not necessary to have a normal debate on EU-related matters but there is nothing to be seen. People aren't interested, there seems to be no influx of members, the CT reportedly don't have time to create a few user groups in five months… Are you really trying, and if yes, why?

You still haven't answered how you can manage MHoC and MEU at the same time successfully.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    CANDIDATES:

I want to see it in action before I make a decision to close it, to see whether it has any potential to add value, but I have always been sceptical and my experiences as PM with crises did nothing to change that. In short, I'd give them their last chance.

We could probably get one of those board games that randomly combine words into a scenario and still have more fun. I'd either ask the CT if they could turn it into a forum-wide activity (there's a lot of silly role-playing games on this site so perhaps those no-lifers could generate the scenarios and have some weird fun that way) or disband it.
    An MHoC game of Consequences? Sounds interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    An MHoC game of Consequences? Sounds interesting...
    Something like that, but perhaps more similar to role-playing games like D&D. I must admit I never played it but I understand there's a modular scenario whose development depends on players' actions weighted by dice throws, so we could for example let the nerds develop the scenario tree and then play it. The Speaker's role would be to ensure it's not completely bonkers…

ReputationRep:
    User groups are not necessary to have a normal debate on EU-related matters but there is nothing to be seen. People aren't interested, there seems to be no influx of members, the CT reportedly don't have time to create a few user groups in five months… Are you really trying, and if yes, why?

You still haven't answered how you can manage MHoC and MEU at the same time successfully.
    They know how to create usergroups; but have told me they do not want to, as it slows down site load times across the board when there is more; so they were experimenting with private sub forums without user groups; which doesn't seem to have went as successfully!

Should I be elected speaker, I would concentrate my sole effort on the MHOC, and would step down from my MEU role!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They know how to create usergroups; but have told me they do not want to, as it slows down site load times across the board when there is more; so they were experimenting with private sub forums without user groups; which doesn't seem to have went as successfully!

Should I be elected speaker, I would concentrate my sole effort on the MHOC, and would step down from my MEU role!
    If you became Speaker, do you think the MEU project will never be finished?

ReputationRep:
    If adam becomes speaker I would be interested in getting the MEU going.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

It's simple, they don't want to, or are simply lazy. If a few extra groups meaningfully slows the site then the site is awfully written, or more likely they're just too lazy. If the site is slowed so much demand they delete the football usergroups as they are totally pointless. How about the Political Ambassador, also pointless. What about UN and Security Council, as soon as they became redundant they should have been deleted to speed up the site.

Out of interest, could Queen Cersei enlighten us on why these redundant groups (ambassador, UN, and SC) weren't deleted when they became redundant, and pointless (football) groups created in the first place if they are so slowing?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    So would I but I may not have too much time in light of my recent appointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    If you became Speaker, do you think the MEU project will never be finished?
    I think there would be someone who would be willing to do it; although it is no easy task!

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It's simple, they don't want to, or are simply lazy. If a few extra groups meaningfully slows the site then the site is awfully written, or more likely they're just too lazy. If the site is slowed so much demand they delete the football usergroups as they are totally pointless. How about the Political Ambassador, also pointless. What about UN and Security Council, as soon as they became redundant they should have been deleted to speed up the site.

Out of interest, could Queen Cersei enlighten us on why these redundant groups (ambassador, UN, and SC) weren't deleted when they became redundant, and pointless (football) groups created in the first place if they are so slowing?

I would also like to see those groups dealt with.
    QC works office hours, so just letting you know that it could be Monday until you hear back from her!
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Why not just help out regardless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Why not just help out regardless?
    I'd like to, I'm not really sure what I can do though. It all seems quite secretive at the moment.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'd like to, I'm not really sure what I can do though. It all seems quite secretive at the moment.
    There's a few of us kind of half working on a constitution at the moment (the bulk of it is done. It's just the increased details and stuff that need doing) but it can't really move forward until the CT sort us out with sub forums.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    DMcGovern I would encourage the CC to have more activity, but if it fails to do so this term then I'd move to shut it down. It has the potential to be great however and I'd work with the CC to ensure that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think there would be someone who would be willing to do it; although it is no easy task!

I would also like to see those groups dealt with.
    QC works office hours, so just letting you know that it could be Monday until you hear back from her!
    I'm aware I may be waiting a while, and to be totally honest wouldn't be one bit surprised if there is no real response, either nothing at all or, in effect, a "just because" answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    There's a few of us kind of half working on a constitution at the moment (the bulk of it is done. It's just the increased details and stuff that need doing) but it can't really move forward until the CT sort us out with sub forums.
    I'd like to get involved with that if possible.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.