Summer 2017 Applications

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    How important is networking given all the applications are done through an online system?
    Who do you think screens the applications? It's very important at every step of your career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Add barclays to the no tests list

Prep for all three types.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will of course prep for all three types. I just want to know which to focus on the most and would be sad to prep for all three, if I am not actually gonna be taking all three. As you know, this stuff is time consuming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    How important is networking given all the applications are done through an online system?
    networking and knowingº people is the number one most important thing ever, even more if you are not from a target uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    Denmark!
    nice, I am in Hamburg now. Will go visit soon.

ReputationRep:
    Add barclays to the no tests list

Prep for all three types.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure about Barclays? I had to do a numerical, verbal and situational judgement for them last summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Are you sure about Barclays? I had to do a numerical, verbal and situational judgement for them last summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Interesting, I heard they got rid of tests from A but might be for the spring week only dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alright. I just thought networking had marginal effects when applying to big Bulge Bracket firms, unless you know a VP/MD or actually participated in Spring Week there.

How would you actually convert your so called networking in the application process. Would you mention you've talked to person X and he/she introduced you to whatever division you plan to intern in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    Alright. I just thought networking had marginal effects when applying to big Bulge Bracket firms, unless you know a VP/MD or actually participated in Spring Week there.

How would you actually convert your so called networking in the application process. Would you mention you've talked to person X and he/she introduced you to whatever division you plan to intern in?
    there's ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)

It's more about their perception of you and what they're willing to do for you than what you can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone finished a levels recently ( waiting to start uni) and made a start on spring week applications? They're probably not open but just increasing awareness of different divisions and stuff?

Also anyone know any good sites for background reading into IB regarding all the different divisions and more?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Anyone finished a levels recently ( waiting to start uni) and made a start on spring week applications? They're probably not open but just increasing awareness of different divisions and stuff?

Also anyone know any good sites for background reading into IB regarding all the different divisions and more?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again, this is the summer internship thread. Wait until the SW one gets more active.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I heard they got rid of tests from A but might be for the spring week only dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The actual online application process has traditionally been the exact same whether you apply for SI or SW. So it would be highly unusual just to remove it for the SW and nothing else. Where it differs is at the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    Any point in applying to french banks without knowing french? (london office obviously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib101)
    Any point in applying to french banks without knowing french? (london office obviously)

(from semi target with an IB internship this summer & spring week this year)
    Yes. I interned with a french bank in London last summer. I cannot speak any french at all.

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanks.

ReputationRep:
    interested in finding out more about the whole networking aspect, my uni hosts many such events but mainly from October-December. Since I'll have already sent off my applications by then, how should I go about networking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econibpe)
    interested in finding out more about the whole networking aspect, my uni hosts many such events but mainly from October-December. Since I'll have already sent off my applications by then, how should I go about networking?
    Ask them to put in a good word for your application? Tell HR you've applied etc...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where one might find the names of the relevant HR staff at BB's who will be dealing with S&T applications? For cover letter purposes - or is it OK to just address it to the HR department?

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that you can apply for spring weeks in second year if you're doing a 4 year degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robv96)
    Does anyone know where one might find the names of the relevant HR staff at BB's who will be dealing with S&T applications? For cover letter purposes - or is it OK to just address it to the HR department?
    I normally just say "Dear [Morgan Stanley / Citigroup / Barclays etc.] Graduate Recruitment Team"

Chances are the cover letter will be seen by a whole series of different people.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.