The Student Room Group

AQA AS GOVP1 Question Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tee1199
does any one remember the exact wording of the 25 marker for participation and voting behaviour please?

I think it was should voting in Elections be one way (or the only way) to measure participation.
Reply 161
(Original post by Tee1199)
does any one remember the exact wording of the 25 marker for participation and voting behaviour please?I think it was explain why voting is the only way of measuring political participation

does any one remember the exact wording of the 25 marker for participation and voting behaviour please?Why? XD are you sitting tomorrow?

It was just about ways of measuring participation. If you did the paper you woulda seen it

thanks,and no i have done it today and did that question, I just cant't remember if due to the wording of the question you were supposed to a agree or disagree with the premise if you argument is on the lines of " there are other forms of participation such as pressure group membership e-petitions etc"

i vaguely remember it as being

Voting in elections in not the only way to measure political participation. Discuss
Original post by Tee1199
does any one remember the exact wording of the 25 marker for participation and voting behaviour please?I think it was explain why voting is the only way of measuring political participation

does any one remember the exact wording of the 25 marker for participation and voting behaviour please?Why? XD are you sitting tomorrow?

It was just about ways of measuring participation. If you did the paper you woulda seen it

thanks,and no i have done it today and did that question, I just cant't remember if due to the wording of the question you were supposed to a agree or disagree with the premise if you argument is on the lines of " there are other forms of participation such as pressure group membership e-petitions etc"

i vaguely remember it as being

Voting in elections in not the only way to measure political participation. Discuss

Yeah that was it
The unit 1 25 marker:

1. Voting is the only way of measuring political participation.

1st point- I wrote about voting - Turnouts, legitimacy of govt etc

2nd point - party membership - lots of party stats

3rd point - pressure group activity

4th point- protest movement

I ran out of time to write a conclusion but I made good links to participation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So disappointed I ran out of time.. I completely forgot about evaluating on the 25 markers. Does anyone know if evaluation can simply be a paragraph of a contrasting point to the question?? Or does it have to be evaluating each point at the end of the paragraph
The unit 2 25 marker was really good

Ams over FPTP

I talked about Ams in increased voter choice instead of FPTP safe seats etc

I talked about FPTP allowing tactical voting

Disproportionality of FPTP

Ams more opportunities for minorities

Ams reduces safe seats

Coalition of Ams despite two coalitions and a two minority governments

Concluding with saying how turnout in Scottish assembly, where it's used is at around 40% 2016 election so turnout would reduce which undermines legitimacy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't get the By-elections 10 marker, anyone care to explain please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Warriner4

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the Q again?
The context were the 2010 general election by elections

Explain two ways by elections are poor indicators to general election outcomes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I struggled with that one and was running out of time too, so from the source I just got about variable turnout in by elections and how people might use protest voting in by elections...
The context were the 2010 general election by elections

Explain two ways by elections are poor indicators to general election outcomes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh yes the UKIP examples. Well I put that by election constituencies come under fire from heavy campaigning that isn't seen at a general election because they're the centre of attention, and in the case of Clacton and Rochester & Strood Farage made a number of personal visits and may have appealed to the anti-politics supporters disillusioned with the Con-LD govt. It was unpredictable because of this unusual campaigning.

Also the turnouts were crap (28.2% in Wythenshawe / Sale East) which is far below general election average so it means a larger proportion didn't turn out and they could swing it in a general
Original post by Browns10
For participation I distinguished between formal and informal, talked about falling party membership in one paragraph, voting in another and also did online participation through social media, online campaigns and e-petitions.

I talked about electoral and non-electoral.
My first point was about how the people protest vote against the government through by elections. Conservatives defecting to UKIP

My second point was that how members from their own party turned against their own party. The defection example again

I forgot the bloody definition though 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also for referendums undermining representative democracy.

1st point was that it's a tool of direct democracy- clement atlee blah blah

2nd point was that the public decide on matters that we elect people to do
E.g Harold Wilson eec membership

Conclusion - refernda have low turnouts- undermine legitimacy blah blah

What do people think I'd get, please help a sister out haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dnt know if I got full marks but first I said is that by election are volatile as because of protest votes as people who usually vote for a certain party in GE don't in by elections due to regency factors like unpopular policy's and dissatisfaction I gave an example of the proposal of tax cuts in 2015 ect but those who usually win over cumbent party in by elections dnt in GE gave an example of UKIP only winning 1 seat.
Second point I have was tactical voting. I spoke about tactical voting and mass media as people sometimes vote in order to keep their gov in power gave example of election of Jeremy Corby where MPs in the cons side were ask snog they pod their £3 and spoke about how mass media was influential in recencyfactors
The unit 1 25 marker:

1. Voting is the only way of measuring political participation.

1st point- I wrote about voting - Turnouts, legitimacy of govt etc

2nd point - party membership - lots of party stats

3rd point - pressure group activity

4th point- protest movement

I ran out of time to write a conclusion but I made good links to participation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

mine was virtually identical, haha! my structure was really bad though and all over the place so im thinking 18 marks ish. I put some party stats from the past and present, I also put pressure group stats and iraq war march stats etc etc
I think I got like 3/5/21 and 5/5/22
Original post by Sademajek
I dnt know if I got full marks but first I said is that by election are volatile as because of protest votes as people who usually vote for a certain party in GE don't in by elections due to regency factors like unpopular policy's and dissatisfaction I gave an example of the proposal of tax cuts in 2015 ect but those who usually win over cumbent party in by elections dnt in GE gave an example of UKIP only winning 1 seat.
Second point I have was tactical voting. I spoke about tactical voting and mass media as people sometimes vote in order to keep their gov in power gave example of election of Jeremy Corby where MPs in the cons side were ask snog they pod their £3 and spoke about how mass media was influential in recencyfactors

i said tactical and protest too but didnt write as much detail as you ah well!
Original post by PrinceAli
mine was virtually identical, haha! my structure was really bad though and all over the place so im thinking 18 marks ish. I put some party stats from the past and present, I also put pressure group stats and iraq war march stats etc etc

Oh wow that's amazing haha, fulled with confidence now

I put protest movements- the recent junior doctors strike :smile:

I'm happy with 17/18 for that - 4/5 + 7/8 + 17/18 = 28/31 which is like B/A?
Original post by BirdIsWord
I think I got like 3/5/21 and 5/5/22

Wow, you're so certain!! Predicted an A? Wow, I wish I was as confident as you, I want an A so bad!! Want to go to Queen Mary's to study politics further (ABB)

What topics are you doing in Unit 2?

Btw you helped me remember the protest movements in the forms of participation haha, thank you ever so much!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest