Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eddie Izzard talks to you about the EU Referendum! Monday 23rd May watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How to school a well meaning, if well out of his depth, 'celeb' #101

(Original post by She-Ra)
    we'll see if we can get Eddie back on site during his #standupforEurope tour
    I trust that if you're able to then he'll respond to the outstanding Q's in the order in which they were put, in this thread

(Original post by Eddie Izzard)
    we have no chance of making the EU work better if we leave it altogether
    Wrong, it’s possible to use soft-power diplomacy and leading by example to affect real change in Europe. The fixed, totalitarian EU regime will not sit up and take note until we upset their cosy little nest. Cameron tried, and failed, to achieve meaningful change so, sadly, there is nothing else for it

The EU isn't perfect - either is the way the UK or any other governmental system is run
    So, your argument is: it’s bad but hey, so are other things. Thank God you’re not in a position of political responsibility is all I can say, with an attitude like that Rome would surely fall

what we are trying to do, work across a whole continent, it's an incredibly difficult thing, it's never been done before
    Yes it has, plenty of empires/alliances have united Europe under a single banner (some more malevolent than others)

we won't fix it by running away and hiding
    Facetious comments like that will not win you any intellectual credibility, and betray your less than honourable intention: to demean those of us principled/erudite enough to see the value in standing up for Democracy and for Britain. No-one has suggested that we ought to sever all ties with Europe and to disengage, so you’re on a hiding to nothing with a puerile, patronising comment like that

I have no expert knowledge on bees Comfy Cardi but I know for sure that we can't tackle global problems like the environment in isolation
    Agreed. I also know that if you want to help bees then you will not be a part of TTIP (which will drive down environmental standards and open the floodgates to all manner of deleterious pesticides), oh and you’ll also stop waving your smartphone around and encouraging kids to expose themselves to the same microwave radiation that is messing up bees, birds, and whales attempts to navigate (and may well be linked to honey bee decline) :yy:

we have to work together with our friends and neighbours in this world
    Does not being part of a customs union prevent us from working together with friends in other countries? Nope. Be serious mate

people who share our beliefs and aims, and working across Europe seems a pretty good start
    Agreed, and we do have shared beliefs/aims with much of the population of Europe, but not the Crony Capitalist / totalitarian technocrats who run the show, and certainly not the 6,000,000 Turks who support the aims of ISIS

economic ones which will help secure .. security
    What qualifies you to make this statement? A: zilch

Europe provides so much opportunity for our young people, the right to travel, to work, helping create the jobs of the future
    So does TROTW, and, again, we’re not in a customs union with TROTW. You just can’t square that circle, so do yourself a favour and stop pedalling #ProjectFear as if we’ll be locked in a box and tossed into the mid-Atlantic when we #VoteLeave

Me and so many others have had opportunities from Europe that the generation before never had
    Congrats. Problem is, the rest of society are not seeing the benefits and do not believe that we should be paying for the proclivities of progressive international elites like yourself with our Democratic rights

the Treasury, the CBI, the IMF, Barack Obama, everybody thinks our economy is stronger as part of the EU
    They’re status quo, on-message institutions that have only tended to comment on short-term effects (often under worst-case scenarios that take little/no account of political economy involved in real-world trade deals). Quelle surprise :pierre:

The other side can't even agree on a settled view outside of Brexit
    What do you expect, one individual, or group, to lay down how it’s going to be arbitrarily? The point is we have a number of models we can roll with – surely that’s a good thing!

I am for a fair Europe that is fair for everyone
    Deciphering obscure tautologies aren’t a strong point, perhaps you could expand on this?

if history shows us anything it's that we human beings can live and work together. We are the United Kingdom, not the disunited kingdom
    We will continue to become the evermore disunited kingdom, and divided continent, if the UK does not escape the clutches of technocratic tyranny and the EU does not reform and focus on serving the will of the people of Europe, rather than the agendas of the elites

I think young people should get out there and see the world, as I have been lucky enough to do, and that means remaining inside a Europe of opportunity rather than running away from it
    Ok, so, by extension, citizens of countries that lie outside of the EU customs union are unable to see the world? Dear me

the access to the single market gives our economy such a boost and help us create jobs back here in Britain
    So access to EU markets e.g. on the basis of common tariffs of a few percent (max) would somehow mean the loss of that boost to our economy? False dichotomy. Intellectual dishonesty

It's about deciding we want to work with the rest of the world, reach out open-handed and work together with our neighbour
    Just in case this needs stating, as above, Eddie: The EU =/= TROTW + the UK has been handling itself with aplomb on the world stage diplomatically for hundreds of years. Please don’t do us down or debase the historic achievements of our public servants

It don't believe that is what TTIP will do but we need real assurances this is the case
    You don’t believe, or you won’t believe it? No substance. Also, how do you propose we get those real assurances, given the secrecy agreements and restrictions in place? Again, no substance, just wishful thinking

TTIP isn't on the ballot paper on June 23rd
    Everything in prospect is on the ballot paper come the referendum, including TTIP, Turkish VISA-free travel and accession, and the continuation of the migrant crisis madness. To deny this is socially irresponsible

So get on yo your parents and grandparents, aunties and uncles, and everybody you know and get them to vote to stay
    Not get them to politically engage, or exercise their (remaining) Democratic rights, but make them vote a certain (ill informed) way? High minded stuff, truly..

There are lots and lots but worth trying out Michael Mittermeier, Yacine Belhousse, Igor Meerson and Francesco de Carlo.
    Rating comedians is what you should stick to, dear Eddie - you’re way way out of your depth when it comes to PPE current affairs dear heart, as you’ve further confirmed in this appearance

if we have a weaker economy, and all the experts tell us that's what will happen if we vote to leave, then that will be bad for wages and for jobs
    How much of current GDP growth translates into growth in high quality employment (long term, high remuneration) or real terms wage rises? A: Next to none. We’ll take a minor, short-term, hit on phony-productivity Eddie, take it from this Economist, it’ll be a worthwhile investment – particularly if we really are focussed on building a better (fairer) Britain; Brexit will be a major shock to the system of the global capitalist elites, and EU migrants will no longer have to play such a pivotal role in driving down wages/employment conditions

For two and a half thousand years Europe fought with each other
    Which two and a half thousand years were these? Perhaps you’re not au fait with international relations but the last time I checked, barring the French wars, the Treaty of Westphalia ostensibly delivered several hundred years of peace in Europe, and it was only the totalitarian zeal of dictators seeking to unite Europe under a system of Germanic hegemony (note the similarities to the EU of 2016) that disrupted that trend

For the last 50 years we have lived peacefully and prosperously together
    Indeed so, thanks to NATO and the will, fraternity, pacifism, and cooperation of the European people. The EU came after the Cold War

Please educate yourself, Eddie: Countdown to the Referendum: What We Should All Know About the EU vs. UK Independence
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    x
    You know he's gone right?

You're effectively yelling into the void :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    In the spirit of democracy and not being bias, which celebrity will be coming on TSR promoting the Leave campaign?
    Bernie Sanders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You know he's gone right?

You're effectively yelling into the void :unsure:
    You know he's not the only person who could possibly view this post, right?

You're not terribly effectively concern-trolling :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    woohoo Eddie has arrived at Reading and they'll be doing a live periscope of a debate at the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    woohoo Eddie has arrived at Reading and they'll be doing a live periscope of a debate at the uni
    "Debate"

Does this mean he'll sit and ignore 90% of the questions he's asked again?

Eddie's already spoiled his whole tour with this single thread (and yes, I took screenshots for posterity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    "Debate"

Eddie's already spoiled his whole tour with this single thread (and yes, I took screenshots for posterity)
    haha yeah it will be a 'debate' :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah it will be a 'debate' :rofl:
    Oh, ouch, he's up against Hannan too...

This really isn't starting off well for Izzard is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hannan will crush Izzard

ReputationRep:
    You haven't given any examples of Farage telling outright lies, but nobody mentioned him anyway. I certainly don't support everything he says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    "Debate"

haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    Hannan will crush Izzard
    Not really a fair fight, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Half way through the reading 'debate' and Izzard is really out of his depth. The remain camp could have used so many other figures but they choose someone who seems incapable of forming a coherent argument.

I hope that there are more of these debates
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Half way through the reading 'debate' and Izzard is really out of his depth. The remain camp could have used so many other figures but they choose someone who seems incapable of forming a coherent argument.

And against somebody who's job it is to make coherent arguments. If celebrities are going to be debating it should be against other celebrities, not professionals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And against somebody who's job it is to make coherent arguments. If celebrities are going to be debating it should be against other celebrities, not professionals.
    I think you missed my point. I was criticising the remain camp for pushing someone who lacks intellectual capability to the front of the student campaign, despite the vast reserves of other celebs they could call up instead.

To put a comedian up against someone with such powerful rhetoric as Dan Hannon was abit careless.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think you missed my point. I was criticising the remain camp for pushing someone who lacks intellectual capability to the front of the student campaign, despite the vast reserves of other celebs they could call up instead.

To put a comedian up against someone with such powerful rhetoric as Dan Hannon was abit careless.
    I would say that pretty much any celebrity would fail, it would be careless with pretty much all of them, at least those that would actually be willing to do it.

ReputationRep:
    woohoo Eddie has arrived at Reading
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Oh, ouch, he's up against Hannan too
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    Hannan will crush Izzard
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Not really a fair fight, is it?
    Half way through the reading 'debate' and Izzard is really out of his depth
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And against somebody who's job it is to make coherent arguments
    IKR? Actually starting to feel bad for the poor sod. Seems the Beeb are quite keen to push this particular comedian as their man in the fight (remain). Would've loved to have been at that particular board meeting - rather reminds me of something, actually..

ReputationRep:

Where'd you see it? Live or online?

Bit of a mess for Izzard so far it seems - being out of his depth on a student forum and then going up against Hannan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuanF)
    Where'd you see it? Live or online?

Bit of a mess for Izzard so far it seems - being out of his depth on a student forum and then going up against Hannan.
    It was streamed on periscope, but im sure it will be online soon

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBII...ature=youtu.be

Izzard got slaughtered.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.