Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveireandblog)
    Did I dispute that? They really are. I'm saying "you'll be fine" aka don't be scared off and Language is being made out by many to be one of the hardest which is plain weird imo. All personal perspective being given for them to make their own decision, god. But ty for personally telling me a levels are hard like I don't know that lmaoo
    Im not talking about languages! I just answered the question how hard really are A levels & i said really hard!
    Haha you are welcome!

ReputationRep:
    A Levels are only hard if you make them out to be hard. If you study consistently throughout the year and don't leave revision till last minute then they won't be hard. A Levels are like falling into a deep pit and crawling your way back out. But that's the thing - eventually you'll make it out if you work hard. It's one of the hardest exams you'll do in your life but it's not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wan Hury)
    Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks
    Got 3 A*'s and 6 A's at GCSEs; I now do Chemistry, Business, Economics and Geography.

Really and truly there is no rocket science involved and the main difference is not so much the difficulty level, but the amount of effort you have to put in even for a concise four marker. My main advice having just 1/8 of my exams left is:

1. Know every key word/definition for all your subjects like the back of your hand. This is the most important thing - it accounts for like 12 marks for each exam (sciences, social sciences and finances)

2. Use a range of sources - reading your class notes is calm but you should invest in a variety of branded revision guides. For example for chemistry I have the OCR A textbook provided by school, the CGP guide which is the best brand for all A-Levels and the collins guide and workbook which are over complex and crap (for chemistry anyway). CGP saved my ass for both Chem and geo, especially the latter.

3. Do not think that all A*-B in GCSE will guarantee you the same at A-Level. There's a reason why it is called general certificate of secondary education compared to advanced level. There is also a reason why they say an A* at GCSE equals a D at A-Level.

4. Even if you hate your teacher, work work work work work work. They are not sitting the exam, you are. The only thing they want is their bonus. At GCSE you could hate the teacher, argue everyday and still get an A. This is most certainly not the case at A-Level.

My last piece of advice, and the most important after point no. 1, is to take subjects you like. You will put in the required effort needed for an A. There is no point in taking all the sciences and maths for example if you wanna be a doctor but you hate biology. Setting yourself up for failure.

roll safe my g

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-bhakti-patel)
    LOL, It is really hard though, I had to do a mock exam question for English Literature and it was really, really hard.

yes its really tough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alevelhelp97)
    You'll be fine as long as you dont take english lol
    What's so bad about English? I want to take it so tell me the worst now.

ReputationRep:
    How hard would an A* in Further Maths be at A-Level? (Presuming some people here probably have obtained that grade)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 142701)
    currently revising for A2 lol it will be the death of me
    WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE CHEMISTRY
    amen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got myself a 99p A*/A grade revision guide/notes of ebay and it covered the entire thing for my subjects and it was in note form so it was so easy to revise which made the courses so easy for me. The ebay sellers name is bargaindealsdev if you interested, you can enter it into google and it will come up and all their notes for a ton of subjects are all 99p. They also have other subjects which are good too Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Uni is easier for me than my A-levels were and I'm not even joking.

Hope you're ready lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Uni is easier for me than my A-levels were and I'm not even joking.

Hope you're ready lol.
    What subject do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveireandblog)
    What subject do you do?
    Psychology. But then again I just finished first year and I've heard that second and third year are considerably harder, so I probably won't have as much free time.

Kind of like the jump between AS and A2.

ReputationRep:
    HOW IS PSYCHOLOGY I WANT DO IT FOR A LEVEL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can tell you what it's like at uni, but I didn't study it at A-level so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to help

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im doing the full a-level for it, but we are starting it after half term.

(Original post by 142701)
    currently revising for A2 lol it will be the death of me
    WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TAKE CHEMISTRY
    Oh my god I wanted to write the exact same thing

ReputationRep:
    I NEED TO TAKE BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY TO DO DENTISTRY WHAT THE **** AM I GOING TO DO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BECOME??? I love psychology and wanted to become a psychiatrist but I don't think I'd be successful with money especially in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BECOME??? I love psychology and wanted to become a psychiatrist but I don't think I'd be successful with money especially in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Psychiatrists are doctors so you would have to apply to study Medicine.

For Medicine, A-level Chemistry is a MUST, and 90% they want A-level Biology too. You wouldn't be able to become a psychiatrist by having a psychology degree.

But you can still do A-level Psychology if it interests you

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to be tho considering you're doing a psychology degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wan Hury)
    Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks
    They're fine so long as you work hard and focus on them. Get a good balance between working and relaxing in the beginning and maintain it, you can't really just cram in revision in the last 2/3 months before the exam with a levels, like you can with most GCSE's. So just work hard consistently and relax, try not to stress. They are much easier if you pass the first time (and don't have to go back to retake them). Good luck with everything!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.