Community Assistant
    (Original post by Bobyhowars)
    Can you tell me why please
    Because if is true then 1 = \sqrt 3
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lulabellead)
    Hi, for q6 part iii I went wrong in the method somewhere and got the wrong answer, but I realised and still wrote N=38. How many marks would I get? Also for the equating coefficient question I used k as the coefficient and somehow got +/- root 1/9. Would I get any marks?
    6iii) should get full marks

your other question just sounds wrong - probably no marks for that bit
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kantth)
    For 9 (ii) dont even know what i did but ended up gettin a=0 and when i subbed a into another equation it gave me k=0 would i even get a mark for writing k=0 or will they ignore it?
    No marks.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone happen to have a copy of the question paper please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    6iii) should get full marks

your other question just sounds wrong - probably no marks for that bit
    Thanks - will i not drop marks for getting the method wrong?
    Also what was the question for the last part of question 9?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    7) drop 1

9iii) drop 1 probably
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For question 7iii) I differentiated the equation and then simplified it but I forgot to put it equal to 0. How many marks would I lose?

ReputationRep:
    I got 65 out of 72 what UMS might that be?

What was 100 last year?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sir, for 6iii) I found the sum to N of the geometric instead of the arithmetic series (so my inequality was sum to N of the geometric > sum to infinity of geometric). I then tried to solve this by trial and error. Would I get just 1/6 for correctly calculating the sum to infinity of the geometric or would I get another mark somewhere?

Also could you explain the answer to 9ii)? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    for 9 iii I squared the side which had root3cosax only. Then I substituted in 3(1-sin^2ax). I cant remember if it was ax but would that gain any marks???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2016

1. (i) 10 cm (2 marks)

(ii) 5.04 cm (2 marks)

2. (i) \displaystyle \frac{3 \pi}{10} (2 marks)

(ii) r=20.4 (3 marks)

3. (i) \displaystyle 27 +27kx+9k^2x^2 +k^3x^3 (4 marks)

(ii) k=\pm \sqrt{3} (2 marks)

4. (i) \displaystyle \log_3 \frac{x^2}{x+4} (2 marks)

(ii) x = 12 (4 marks)

5. (a) \displaystyle \frac{x^4}{2} -x^3 +2x^2-6x+k (3 marks)

(b) (i) \displaystyle \frac{2}{a^2} - \frac{6}{a} + 4 (4 marks)

(ii) 4 (1 mark)

6. (i) k=91 (3 marks)

(ii) \displaystyle S_{16} = 978 (2 marks)

(iii) N=38 (6 marks)

7. (i) Quotient x^2-4x+3 and remainder 0 (3 marks)

(ii) x=1 or x=-1 or x=3 (3 marks)

(iii) Show (2 marks)

(iv) \displaystyle \frac{512}{15} (4 marks)

8. (i) Translation by 2 units in the positive x direction (2 marks)

(ii) Stretch parallel to the y axis scale factor \displaystyle \frac{1}{9} (2 marks)

(iii) Sketch showing (0, \frac{1}{9}) as the only point of intersection (2 marks)

(iv) x=6.73 (3 marks)

(v) 9.60 (3 marks)

9. (i) \displaystyle \frac{2 \pi}{a} (1 mark)

(ii) \displaystyle a=\frac{5}{3} and \displaystyle k=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} (3 marks)

(iii) \displaystyle x=\frac{\pi}{3a} and \displaystyle x=\frac{4 \pi}{3a} (4 marks)

Sorry guys I made a mess of 9(ii) at the start - I didn't notice k had to be positive. It's right now.
    Will you be making one for edexcel maths paper 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For question 6iii, if I used the right method, used the formula for sum of the arithmetic sequence, calculated sum to infinity plugged in the numbers and made it > than a sum to infinity, but ended up with the wrong value of N, so I went wrong somewhere in my calculations, how many marks would I get?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Will you be making one for edexcel maths paper 1?
    I was thinking about doing so tomorrow but I don't want to get involved with the embargo breaking that is currently going on so I think I'll just give it a miss.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nikita_2313)
    For question 6iii, if I used the right method, used the formula for sum of the arithmetic sequence, calculated sum to infinity plugged in the numbers and made it > than a sum to infinity, but ended up with the wrong value of N, so I went wrong somewhere in my calculations, how many marks would I get?
    Drop 1 or 2.

ReputationRep:
    For q3 part 2 I wrote the wrong constant (used 3 instead of 27) I'm guessing that's no marks but wanted to check to see if anyone thinks they could give a mark for right method?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm still confused about -3 not being a solution to 4 (ii) - why isn't 2log3(-3) = log9?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluegirl64)
    Sorry I'm still confused about -3 not being a solution to 4 (ii) - why isn't 2log3(-3) = log9?
    Try putting log(-3) on your calculator, its invalid
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aiman_)
    Mr M I am so sorry for asking this in an a level thread but can you pleaseeeee make a mark scheme for the edexcel mathematics A exam higher that we did today pleaseeee, I really want to get an accurate judgement about how I did today so that I can see how many marks I need to get an A* overall.

Than you soooo much!!
    Other people have already done this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrybirds)
    Try putting log(-3) on your calculator, its invalid
    thanks for replying - yep I was wondering why it's invalid, and why for 2log3(-3) the power 2 wouldn't 'go up' and square the -3 as it would a positive number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluegirl64)
    thanks for replying - yep I was wondering why it's invalid, and why for 2log3(-3) the power 2 wouldn't 'go up' and square the -3 as it would a positive number?
    But that's in a different form. The question asked for it to satisfy whatever it was, and x = -3 did not since you can't have negative logs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.