Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do with £10,000? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Forget savings, I'd splash it out!
    Same bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonundergrad)
    You make a bit of money with ISAs - really depends on what type. With nearly 9k in an 'safe' cofund investment ISA I have gained £400 roughly (goes up an down), which isn't much. But if I wanted to I could buy more 'risky' funds, meaning that I could make more profit, or if I'm unlucky, I could make a loss.
    After how many years?

ReputationRep:
    I unexpectedly found myself with £10k after winning two scholarships from my uni.

I've spent half, saved half. What I've bought with the spent half..
    - Took my boyfriend to NYC for his birthday.
    - GoPro and accessories.
    - Clothes. Though mainly from TK Maxx as I still cba to pay a lot of money for clothes..
    - PS4
    - Booked flights / car rental / hotel for the roadtrip me and my boyfriend are going on at the end of June. We'll be spending almost a month roadtripping round the Canadian Rockies, also dipping into the US to visit Yellowstone National Park.
    - Haven't bought it yet, but when I get back from Canada I'll be getting a new telly. I like the look of the curved Samsung SUHD ones. I'll be going halfsies on that with the boyfriend though.

Makes me look kind of selfish compared to all the people here saying they'd donate some to charity / give to to family.. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy a Mazda Eunos Cosmo!
    Man those things are awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Towards uni and some new clothes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    After how many years?
    The £400 interest on 9k? 1.5 years.

ReputationRep:
    I would buy a caravan, a copper on the inside, a few AS and A-Level chemistry textbooks and the tools necessary to cook crystal meth.

ReputationRep:
    Buying some properties in Europe and I''ll trip around the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have actually considered this amount specifically recently.

£1000 would go into my main account for general spending and splashing out. Could be anything from random days out to books to games, etc.

£1000-1500 would go into my smallest savings account. I use this to save fro things that are more expensive and I wouldn't normally be able to just go out and buy after a single payday. This would be for things like a new graphics card or phone.

Whatever is left over (£7500-8000) would go into my ISA. That's purely a backup account where all my savings go. It's where I pull money from when I need something expensive, like buying my car, insurance and so on. With university coming up it would likely just be a backup fund. Once I left it would hopefully have grown a little and I'd be able to buy a new car or go on holiday to Japan (or both). I certainly wouldn't want to squander it though. It may even just sit there until I want a deposit for a house.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Personally, I'd help my mum with her debt and then save up the rest for uni :yep: — what would you do with £10,000? I'm interested to know :beard:
    Just got me thinking as I saw this competition on TSR...sounds like a good deal to me! :yay:
    Build an app I've been wanting to build for ages.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Build an app I've been wanting to build for ages.
    What sort of app? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamzahPatel)
    oops I forgot to add the extra zero
    Wouldn't that drain all of your money though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleiya)
    Wouldn't that drain all of your money though?
    sh*t someone finally noticed

ReputationRep:
    sh*t someone finally noticed
    To be honest, I'd probably spend like most of my £10k on some nice parts/periphals for a gaming PC then spend the rest on makeup and clothes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleiya)
    then spend the rest on makeup
    Not necessary for you

ReputationRep:
    make it rain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I have actually considered this amount specifically recently.

£1000 would go into my main account for general spending and splashing out. Could be anything from random days out to books to games, etc.

£1000-1500 would go into my smallest savings account. I use this to save fro things that are more expensive and I wouldn't normally be able to just go out and buy after a single payday. This would be for things like a new graphics card or phone.

Whatever is left over (£7500-8000) would go into my ISA. That's purely a backup account where all my savings go. It's where I pull money from when I need something expensive, like buying my car, insurance and so on. With university coming up it would likely just be a backup fund. Once I left it would hopefully have grown a little and I'd be able to buy a new car or go on holiday to Japan (or both). I certainly wouldn't want to squander it though. It may even just sit there until I want a deposit for a house.
    Good answer! 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'd say take my mates on a bender in Vegas when the youngest turns 21, but in reality I'd probably just save it

ReputationRep:
    Not necessary for you
    Cheeky

ReputationRep:
    Not necessary for you
    Aww thank you x but I love make up, I just feel like it covers up my flaws you know what I mean? No one is perfect.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.