Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliemoore__)
    Music AS is extremely hard too
    Is it though? What do you actually do in it? I've heard that whichever board we're doing (I think it's Edexcel) will be changing their syllabus next year. Anyway I think I'm pretty good at Harmony -- what else is there?

(Original post by Samii123)
    In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?
    (Original post by surina16)
    I'm almost going to be taking the same as you:
    Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology (and an EPQ )

******** myself because I've heard the same - apparently Chemistry is a killer
    (Original post by siamesedaffodil)
    at least you're not taking english lit lol
    english is worse than bio, chem and maths

Good luck with your subjects! you'll be fineee :bigsmile:
    (Original post by _Xenon_)
    SAME except that I'm taking 3 A levels without Biology!

I heard same
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    yay! In the exact same boat as you mate! :five:
    I'm sure all of you will do alright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...12-months.html

(Original post by Audrey18)
    I'm sure all of you will do alright.
    ew he got a B

ReputationRep:
    in loo,kitchen table anywhere always read your biology notes its very helpful

ReputationRep:
    HOW.

ReputationRep:
    In September I will be starting A-level maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Pretty much everyone who I have talked to have said that these are the hardest subjects I could have took and how I will have such a phenomenal workload that I won't be able to have a social life but is it really THAT vigorous and THAT difficult?
    Yes. Work hard from day 1 even when you feel like you're on top of the workload. Do every homework and ask as soon as you find you're stuck on something. It is so easy to slip behind.

ReputationRep:
    Look it's not that they are extremely hard, they are meant to be studied but it's the amount of workload that will fall on you that is massive, especially Biology has endless pages of plant cells and ecology (which bore the human soul out of you) and there's just so little human biology which is the actual interesting part. I am guessing you are interested in medicine but i have heard many unis don't mind not having chemistry so if you can drop chemistry or physics and substitute them with something more practical like mathematics I think you will be better off

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing Maths Physics and Bio at A2 (English Lit last year) and I still love my social life; I've had time (but maybe not money) to go out 3 nights a week all year and work 2 jobs.

Don't worry about not having enough time since if these are the subjects you enjoy/are good at then that will be the biggest determining factor in your success than their relative difficulty!

ReputationRep:
    Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Got my chemistry AS level tomorrow, there isn't a day i regret taking it. Very hard subject to get a grasp of.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that those are the four hardest subjects... Obviously it's Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Biology is just a memory game, there's barely any application of logic, it's essentially a game of "Smart Ass".

ReputationRep:
    I'll say this much, Media sure is a piss in a bucket compared to the difficulty of Maths. Biology and Physics have some of the highest fail rates too

ReputationRep:
    replace BIo with history and then were talking. BIO is easy, the other 3 i would agree are the hardest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    replace BIo with history and then were talking. BIO is easy, the other 3 i would agree are the hardest.
    Is history actually that bad? God I'm scared now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twhiddy)
    History was really difficult for me, not because of the content but rather the exam technique and 2nd unit being absolute ass hat

ReputationRep:
    I did biology, chemistry, maths and Spanish at AS and I found Spanish the hardest. To be honest sciences/maths don't have that much work, because you don't have to write essays and there isn't too much coursework. You just need to do a lot of revision. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't worry. It depends what you like tbh. Only about 500 people in the country take my course on the Angevin kings, and I love it so much studying is easy because it doesn't feel like a chore. I'm not too keen on US history though, so that's where I feel the strain.

I won't lie, it feels like you're taking 2 A levels because of the content, but if you like history, you'll enjoy it.
    Agreed the exam technique does change a lot, and I struggled to understand what the examiner wants from me at first. But around halfway through the year the penny dropped and I've been getting full marks for a while now. Plus my teacher is known to be a really harsh marker.
    Don't be scared, history at A Level is great- so much better than GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gold-Confetti)
    Hey don't worry. It depends what you like tbh. Only about 500 people in the country take my course on the Angevin kings, and I love it so much studying is easy because it doesn't feel like a chore. I'm not too keen on US history though, so that's where I feel the strain.

I won't lie, it feels like you're taking 2 A levels because of the content, but if you like history, you'll enjoy it.
    Agreed the exam technique does change a lot, and I struggled to understand what the examiner wants from me at first. But around halfway through the year the penny dropped and I've been getting full marks for a while now. Plus my teacher is known to be a really harsh marker.
    Don't be scared, history at A Level is great- so much better than GCSE.
    I'm more scared because I didn't take it at GCSE - but I've always been intrigued by the subject. I'm afraid of the workload I might get because I haven't done History for a while and I've missed GCSE (even though people say GCSE History wasn't much of a help at A Level, but I'm still nervous)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Maths is fine, if you work you'll get an A or A*. Physics i think is trickier, the A2 course is soooo large

ReputationRep:
    I'm more scared because I didn't take it at GCSE - but I've always been intrigued by the subject. I'm afraid of the workload I might get because I haven't done History for a while and I've missed GCSE (even though people say GCSE History wasn't much of a help at A Level, but I'm still nervous)
    I would agree that GCSE probably doesn't help much. I took GCSE history in year 9, so it had been 2/3 years since I'd even studied history when I started this year. My friends took it last year so skills like source analysis and argumentative essays were fresh in their minds, but I still did consistently better than them. If you listen to your teacher and put the work in, not having done the GCSE or whatever won't matter (I certainly don't remember stuff from when I was 13 ahah) plus feel free to message me if you want any help with history when you start it. I'm keeping it on next year so I, and probably lots of other people, would be willing to help you. Don't worry about it- you'll be fine! 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.