LSE 2017 Applicants

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    How are you feeling about your PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will private message you.

ReputationRep:
    what is the best time to apply?? Im still drafting my ps...

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone feeling about their personal statement? I find its so hard to know whether mine is good or not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcr342)
    what is the best time to apply?? Im still drafting my ps...
    Anytime before the deadline is fine. Honestly, makes no difference if you apply earlier or not. Once yours PS is done then its good to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    How is everyone feeling about their personal statement? I find its so hard to know whether mine is good or not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you feel good about your PS? If yes, then it should be good. Dont make it too complicated for yourself, considering that you have finished it already means that it should be fine, otherwise you would not have felt as if it is finished yet. (If it makes sense)

ReputationRep:
    I've finally finished my personal statement mines almost 4000 characters however when I post it into ucas I have no space or lines left to keep my paragraphs seprate! :/ do you think this will be a problem espec as the LSE admission team will be reading thousands of applications they'd want to read something In a nice layout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nc_x)
    I've finally finished my personal statement mines almost 4000 characters however when I post it into ucas I have no space or lines left to keep my paragraphs seprate! :/ do you think this will be a problem espec as the LSE admission team will be reading thousands of applications they'd want to read something In a nice layout
    Just putting spaces between the paragraphs - it should only take 4-5 characters, and it will immediately make the structure clearer and make the statement easier to read. For the price of a single word, I don't think that the risk of having a page of continuous, unbroken text is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think LSE would be reluctant to give too many offers for the same course to students from the same college? My grades were decent and I think I have a fair PS, but considering there are 10+ students in my college applying to LSE Economics, most of which have excellent AS grades (>90% average ums conversions based on notional grade boundaries), I am a bit worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM66)
    Is no one applying for Business maths and stats or stats and finance??
    I'm applying to BMS. May also apply to Maths with Econ but my UMS is shite and I don't think my PS is amazing as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arandomguyonline)
    Does anyone think LSE would be reluctant to give too many offers for the same course to students from the same college? My grades were decent and I think I have a fair PS, but considering there are 10+ students in my college applying to LSE Economics, most of which have excellent AS grades (>90% average ums conversions based on notional grade boundaries), I am a bit worried.
    No, it doesnt matter at all...
    I even once read someone saying 3 people got into LSE for Economics from the same school which was in another country (I "think" it was in Singapore).

Which means it is the same for UK colleges. I have heard of it happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    No, it doesnt matter at all...
    I even once read someone saying 3 people got into LSE for Economics from the same school which was in another country (I "think" it was in Singapore).

Which means it is the same for UK colleges. I have heard of it happening.
    thanks, 3 is a relatively small number to use as an example but i get your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arandomguyonline)
    One of the people I met here comes from a large school in Cyprus, which sent around 15 to LSE this year, some of whom (it is quite possible) got offers for the same course.

Other than using your school to contextualise your results (with postcode flags and all that), I can't imagine why any university would put a limit on the number of people with offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    One of the people I met here comes from a large school in Cyprus, which sent around 15 to LSE this year, some of whom (it is quite possible) got offers for the same course.

Other than using your school to contextualise your results (with postcode flags and all that), I can't imagine why any university would put a limit on the number of people with offers.
    Well I was afraid that they would want some diversity in terms of college chosen (applicants from the same school may be compared more often idk ). Also, my school's oxbridge co-ordinator advised us not to apply for the same course at the same college in oxbridge, so I was worried that this may apply to LSE as well since there are not separate colleges like Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Politics & Philosophy

(GCSEs and AS Levels during extenuating circumstances)
    GCSE: A*A*A*AAAABB
    AS: AAABC (As: 94 UMS, 85 UMS, Linear. B: 78 UMS. C: taken with GCSEs, can't remember)
    Prediction: A*AA

Do I have a chance? I know most have 4 As at AS and probably more A* predictions.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys im a female year 12 dreaming of doing accounting and finance at lse but unfortunately i only realised this recently and my gcse are very bad i got 1 a star 2 As in english and the rest Bs including maths do i have a chance? Its ok if i dont id rather just know early on i take politics economics and history which im working hard in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    Politics & Philosophy

(GCSEs and AS Levels during extenuating circumstances)
    GCSE: A*A*A*AAAABB
    AS: AAABC (As: 94 UMS, 85 UMS, Linear. B: 78 UMS. C: taken with GCSEs, can't remember)
    Prediction: A*AA

Do I have a chance? I know most have 4 As at AS and probably more A* predictions.
    You stand a fantastic chance! Definitely go for it, and even if you don't get it, worse things could happen. Of course, the strength of your application depends on how much your circumstances affected your situation.
    Congratulations btw, sick results

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know someone who got into LSE with average GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAls)
    I'm applying to BMS. May also apply to Maths with Econ but my UMS is shite and I don't think my PS is amazing as well.
    Sweet. I was thinking of applying for Econ and then BMS at LSE but is just hard to do a personal statement for both. BMS is nearly identical to Econ first year anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nc_x)
    Does anyone know someone who got into LSE with average GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know someone at the LSE who got a C in GCSE English then dropped English and finished with A*AA at the A2 level. Also applied for a competitive course.
    Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B
    A Level Grades - Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Chemistry B

Currently on a gap year doing an internship at Barclays.
    Does anyone know whether it is worth applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics - they ask for A*AA - if I have a strong personal statement and these grades?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.