Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's keep holding referendums until we get the result you want then stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    So you'd ban some of the most experienced individuals in society from voting? Men & women who have often fought for their country, paid taxes & worked their whole lives. Whereas most 16-21 year olds are still a drain on society at that point in their lives.

Sound logic.

Maybe we should just make euthanasia mandatory & kill off all pensioners as they're draining the NHS & care systems too?
    Paying taxes and working for a number of years does not mean that they are experienced in modern politics or know what is best for the future of the younger generation who will have to pay the consequences. Considering many of their responses to modern day issues is "Back in my day [aka in the 1950s/60s] we did this...", I highly doubt that they had the future in mind when they voted, or had any idea how the future will be affected if we leave the EU.
    My granddad for example (who strangely enough, I do not wish to kill off), voted to leave simply because he didn't like so many immigrants entering his country, and he voted to leave because of this alone. However, now we all know that immigrants are the least of our worries.

ReputationRep:
    So if we have a second referendum and the Remain campaign wins with 51.9%, will there be a 3rd referendum? A 4th? Where does it stop?
    The UK people have spoken, we are in a democracy and Brexit won (albeit not by a landslide) - accept this and move on. Both sides were deceitful, lied and fabricated statistics to get votes. It may only be a small majority, but Leave won by majority nonetheless.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by bigoliver)
    Let's keep holding referendums until we get the result you want then stop.
    Worked in Ireland

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you want to have another referendum so you get the result you want? smfh...
    Accept you lost and move on. The decision's been made; drop it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheWetNoodle)
    drop it.
    Like the GBP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Like the GBP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's right - disregard the rest of my post and answer it with a joke. Ignorance at its best.

ReputationRep:
    move on.
    move on to fact that Britain IS ON THE VERGE OF SPLITTING UP!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's right - disregard the rest of my post and answer it with a joke. Ignorance at its best.
    Like you disregarded my post directly above yours.

There's nothing to say we can't have multiple referendums. And if you look at, for example, Ireland. That's exactly what happened.

Oh and if you think the £ falling is a joke, well...

ReputationRep:
    This is not how a democracy works. You can't just make another referendum simply because you didn't get your way. Pretty childish. We have to stand together and make this work.

ReputationRep:
    Like you disregarded my post directly above yours.

There's nothing to say we can't have multiple referendums. And if you look at, for example, Ireland. That's exactly what happened.
    I read that. I find that quite funny how if people have an opinion: stay or leave; why after voting multiple times would that change a person's opinion. If I were to vote tomorrow as I did on the 23rd, I'd vote the same thing. What difference would it make voting again?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I read that. I find that quite funny how if people have an opinion: stay or leave; why after voting multiple times would that change a person's opinion. If I were to vote tomorrow as I did on the 23rd, I'd vote the same thing. What difference would it make?
    Because you would be voting with improved knowledge about the choice you are being asked to make, and possibly the terms of staying in/out the EU itself will have evolved.

There's not going to be a 2nd Ref anytime soon, that's clear.

But there could well be one in Scotland, and if so and they choose independence, AND the English/Welsh economy isn't doing quite so well, and immigration is still a "problem" and .... etc etc. Then maybe asking the question again in a year or 2 will yield a different answer.

This particular petition is a complete red herring. It's badly worded. It's after the fact. And it won't change anything. But it's a bit of fun for Remainers and re-thinking Leavers to sign it.

A 2nd referendum certainly isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Petition calling for a second referendum :

'I don't like the result but let's keep asking the British people till we get the result we want'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Immaturity of some Bremainers at its finest. Leave won fairly and they cant just keep demanding referendums until they get the result they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    we need a Hitler Reacts to Brexit video...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7w0BDO4fYEQ/maxresdefault.jpg
    That would be the stuff of legend.

ReputationRep:
    Because you would be voting with improved knowledge about the choice you are being asked to make, and possibly the terms of staying in/out the EU itself will have evolved.

There's not going to be a 2nd Ref anytime soon, that's clear.

But there could well be one in Scotland, and if so and they choose independence, AND the English/Welsh economy isn't doing quite so well, and immigration is still a "problem" and .... etc etc. Then maybe asking the question again in a year or 2 will yield a different answer.

This particular petition is a complete red herring. It's badly worded. It's after the fact. And it won't change anything. But it's a bit of fun for Remainers and re-thinking Leavers to sign it.

A 2nd referendum certainly isn't.
    How much more "knowledge" would i be able to have - more propaganda from both sides of the argument? i don't see that as knowledge.
    Immigration will always be a problem - people don't just come from the EU, but also from asia, the middle east too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How much more "knowledge" would i be able to have - more propaganda from both sides of the argument? i don't see that as knowledge.
    Immigration will always be a problem - people don't just come from the EU, but also from asia, the middle east too.
    Indeed to paragraph 2.

And read the rest of my post - knowledge was just one aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    Petition calling for a second referendum :

'I don't like the result but let's keep asking the British people till we get the result we want'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Immaturity of some Bremainers at its finest. Leave won fairly and they cant just keep demanding referendums until they get the result they want.
    Very true - I don't see the need to complain about a decision which has been fairly been made with the whole of the UK. Nor request that that decision be proposed again in order for the "expected result". I even thought the UK would stay, but hey - leave majority won. GG lol.

ReputationRep:
    There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it is crashing the gov site
    => https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7099996.html
    there is no 2nd referendum pal its in the contract. Its done

ReputationRep:
    Very true - I don't see the need to complain about a decision which has been fairly been made with the whole of the UK. Nor request that that decision be proposed again in order for the "expected result". I even thought the UK would stay, but hey - majority won. GG lol.
    Twitter has gone nuts with Brexit. The number of tweets that have called Brexiters racist is unbelievable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.