June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of hypocrisy....

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    the gross moral/intellectual inconsistency characteristic of young (pseudo)-progressive Guardianistas....

.... vile ageism, and class, region, and level of education based elitism (and related assertions re: qualified voting rights)

Rejection of bigotry vs. assuming leavers are virtually all either uneducated/uninformed or regretting their decision, or else racist/bigots
    I nearly choked on my latte

ReputationRep:
    No. Let those patriots solve the problems. It's their independence day. Not mine. I'm too young to die...

Name:  1468155082682.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  26.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Permit me to help you, and your fellow catastrophising, lily-livered pansies, if not aboard HMS TakeControl then abroad,* good lady :top2:

Goodness knows how this country survived two world wars and an intervening depression, followed by rationing and the prospect of MAD :erm:

Really starting to wonder if there are any true Brits, with true grit, left in our major cities.

Such a sorry bunch 'protesting' Democracy :facepalm2:
    Meh.We should accept the result, but we dont have to think its a good or the right thing to do. 48% of the electorate voted to remain i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to protest. In any case,

We Joined in 1975
    We Left in 2016
    Hopefully we'll rejoin in 2030

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Does this mean my uncles from Tuscany can no longer buy a house in a leafy London suburb?
    Property ownership is not contingent upon freedom of movement, m'dear. That said, if they wish to reside in the house for long periods then they would need to apply for residency under the terms of our new immigration policies, going forward (e.g. supposing they did not take up permanent residency prior to EU withdrawal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Now its time to back peddle and make excuses when Scotland/Northern Ireland leave us, and when we lose the very 'sovreignty' that you idiots were trying to re-gain :rolleyes:
    1) No back peddling, I can assure thee. It is not the British way to run, like cowards, in the face of empty threats from butt hurt separatists

2) No idea what you mean by losing sovereignty

3) I can assure you that many of us are not idiots, far from it

Thank you, and good night :top2:

ReputationRep:
    #votelondonindependence

ReputationRep:
    Might I suggest that on the anniversary of this 'independence' day (read: shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot-day), we start a fine new tradition of pinatas beating the stuffing out of dolls of Farage, Johnson, Gove and IDS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    anyone identifying as non-male for the purposes of evacuation
    Oooh, you caught me out, sailor! :camp: :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    nothing will happen to them immediately. they will be taken East for resettlement in due course
    Only if they don't contribute 'enough', most likely (the gross salary benchmark of £35,000 is OTT in my opinion) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    GoldMoney Insights Article: Brexit post-mortem (highlights below, we 'hate to say I told you so!')

The Treasury’s economic weapons of mass destruction

• Households £4,300 "worse off", on average vs. validity of this message
    • Objectivity of economic models vs. assumption stacking and 'dodgy dossiers'
    • The school of free trade vs. economic illiteracy of assuming trade deals are a necessity
    • The precedent of the expansion of the remit of the BoE into political intervention
    • Treasury + BoE using 'Project Fear' to precondition markets a la Brexit volatility

What happened to the Brexit recession?

• Treasury doomsday has not arrived, economy is pretty much business as usual
    • GSK and others are announcing massive investment plans, in spite of Brexit
    • Countries are queuing up to talk to us about trading relations
    • Far from the "back of the queue", UK-US trade pronouncements are already being made
    • Scaremongerers in the scientific community have backtracked considerably; R&D continues
    • Mainstream Economists are confounded vs. those of us independent economists who believed in Britain

• The agenda of the Treasury plausibly had a lot to do with outdated, post-war strategic mindsets re: Europe
    • We can now dodge a bullet with respect to the demise of the EU as it, almost inevitably, self destructs
    • The British government/establishment could yet screw Brexit up - clearly there are significant challenges ahead
    • Mainstream economics are hot for cutting (austerity) and printing (monetary expansion) our way out of trouble
    • Brexit offers no guarantee that (unhelpful?) market interference by government/central banks won't continue
    • If/when UK/EU economies stumble and fall now, it will have very little, in fact, fundamentally to do with Brexit

ReputationRep:
    GoldMoney Insights Article: Brexit post-mortem (highlights below, we 'hate to say I told you so!'

The Treasury’s economic weapons of mass destruction

• Households £4,300 "worse off", on average vs. validity of this message
    • Objectivity of economic models vs. assumption stacking and 'dodgy dossiers'
    • The school of free trade vs. economic illiteracy of assuming trade deals are a necessity
    • The precedent of the expansion of the remit of the BoE into political intervention
    • Treasury + BoE using 'Project Fear' to precondition markets a la Brexit volatility

What happened to the Brexit recession?

• Treasury doomsday has not arrived, economy is pretty much business as usual
    • GSK and others are announcing massive investment plans, in spite of Brexit
    • Countries are queuing up to talk to us about trading relations
    • Far from the "back of the queue", UK-US trade pronouncements are already being made
    • Scaremongerers in the scientific community have backtracked considerably; R&D continues
    • Mainstream Economists are confounded vs. those of us independent economists who believed in Britain

• The agenda of the Treasury plausibly had a lot to do with outdated, post-war strategic mindsets re: Europe
    • We can now dodge a bullet with respect to the demise of the EU as it, almost inevitably, self destructs
    • The British government/establishment could yet screw Brexit up - clearly there are significant challenges ahead
    • Mainstream economics are hot for cutting (austerity) and printing (monetary expansion) our way out of trouble
    • Brexit offers no guarantee that (unhelpful?) market interference by government/central banks won't continue
    If/when UK/EU economies stumble and fall now, it will have very little, in fact, fundamentally to do with Brexit
    Yeah, because Brexit is, like, in the past... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting, yet worthless as article 50 has not been triggered.

ReputationRep:
    Now is not a time for puerile/jubilant triumphalism. Instead, we must focus on dampening the fires of hysteria, restoring confidence, reuniting the nation behind a positive vision of a prosperous future UK, and collectively taking the country forward in a calm, considered, and responsible spirit

This means holding politicians well and truly to account, going forward, and ensuring that we mitigate risk and ward off the circling vultures – preventing them from capitalising on/worsening societal conditions e.g. in terms of rights, freedoms, inequality, spatial deprivation, and division

Whichever way we voted – rich or poor, young or old, urbanites or rural folk, North, South, East, or West – and whatever our reasons for doing so, it now falls to each and every Brit to make the most of our revitalised Democratic powers, for the common good and in the national interest

We will pause before changing our leadership and effecting withdrawal under Article 50; let’s each and every one of us support the public/private/third sectors in making the most of this time by steadying the ship and charting a sensible course through uncharted waters

Britannia: unite, heal, and prosper

ReputationRep:
    London won't be missed
    Do you have much experience of London, Mr. Bear? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I know you might not understand but Brexit has not happened yet.

What will cause a major economic disaster is when or if brexit actually happens

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    Now its time to back peddle and make excuses when Scotland/Northern Ireland leave us
    You seem to be a little anachronistically confused

when we lose the very 'sovreignty' that you idiots were trying to re-gain :rolleyes:
    We'll thank you for refraining from arbitrarily disparagingly labelling us all idiots (puerile bigoted prejudice much?) :yy:

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be a little anachronistically confused

We'll thank you for refraining from arbitrarily disparagingly labelling us all idiots (puerile bigoted prejudice much?) :yy:
    talk about anachronistical confusion all you want, but it won't stop Scotland from attempting to leave us

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about, of course we will!
    London/Londoners isn't/aren't very/much accessible/loved to/by those outside the South-East m'dear :innocent:

#votelondonindependence
    I encourage you to redact this from your post as it displeases me and doesn't paint you in a very good light, particularly given the fact you are not ethnically English :naughty: Talking about 1,000 years of history, so tread carefully/respectfully :girl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by statistics16)
    There will be no such thing as Britain at this rate!!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.