Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    1. Get everything under same denominator
    2. Tidy up the numerator
    3. Cancel any common factors

Attachment 566268
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok now im more confused. Wouldnt it be easier to multiply the first fraction by x+2 / x+2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    ok now im more confused. Wouldnt it be easier to multiply the first fraction by x+2 / x+2
    Sure, but then you would need to multiply it by (x+1)/(x+1) because (x+2)(x+1) is the quadratic on the second fraction so you would only be multiplying by one of the factors when you need both.

All I'm really doing is applying \frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=\frac{ad  }{bd}+\frac{cb}{db}=\frac{ad+cb}  {bd} and simplifying everything. Doesn't get any more complex than that.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, but then you would need to multiply it by (x+1)/(x+1) because (x+2)(x+1) is the quadratic on the second fraction so you would only be multiplying by one of the factors when you need both.

All I'm really doing is applying \frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}=\frac{ad  }{bd}+\frac{cb}{db}=\frac{ad+cb}  {bd} and simplifying everything. Doesn't get any more complex than that.
    But the first fraction already has x+1 as a denominator??

ReputationRep:
    Ah right I see what you mean. Yes you can just ignore multiplying by (x+1) then. Though you should still follow that method if the denominator don't share anything in common.

ReputationRep:
    I think my mind is going blank; how do I get the expansion for cosec(2x)? Do I just use binomial with (1+[sin(2x)-1])^{-1}? Seems a bit long winded. I found the expansion for sin(2x) but unsure how I can use that here.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right I see what you mean. Yes you can just ignore multiplying by (x+1) then. Though you should still follow that method if the denominator don't share anything in common.
    Yep. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you've got the right idea, your method is much more suitable and shows understanding. :-)

ReputationRep:
    I think my mind is going blank; how do I get the expansion for cosec(2x)? Do I just use binomial with (1+[sin(2x)-1])^{-1}? Seems a bit long winded. I found the expansion for sin(2x) but unsure how I can use that here.
    How many terms do you need? Just differentiate and plug in x=0 into the derivative, same for the second derivative, etc... up till how many terms you need. If you want the general formula, express it in terms of complex exponentials and use their respective taylor expands, you'll get something in the form of Bernoulli numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    How many terms do you need? Just differentiate and plug in x=0 into the derivative, same for the second derivative, etc... up till how many terms you need. If you want the general formula, express it in terms of complex exponentials and use their respective taylor expands, you'll get something in the form of Bernoulli numbers.
    I just need the first 3, is there no direct way to use the first 3 terms from expansion for sin(2x) for this?

ReputationRep:
    I just need the first 3, is there no direct way to use the first 3 terms from expansion for sin(2x) for this?
    Heuristically, nope. Not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Heuristically, nope. Not worth it.
    Ah right.

Just differentiate and plug in x=0 into the derivative, same for the second derivative, etc... up till how many terms you need.
    Do you mean carry out this? cosec(2x) doesn't exist at x=0 :/
    Name:  asdasd.PNG
Views: 41
Size:  2.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean carry out this? cosec(2x) doesn't exist at x=0 :/
    Name:  asdasd.PNG
Views: 41
Size:  2.7 KB
    Can you post a picture of the question? Maybe using \text{\cosec}\,  2x = (1 + \cot^2 x)^{1/2} might work if you know the series for \cot.

ReputationRep:
    Can you post a picture of the question? Maybe using \cosec 2x = (1 + \cot^2 x)^{1/2} might work if you know the series for \cot.
    I only know the series expansion for cosx and sinx as far as trig is concerned so far.
    Q17 part b

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469987850.092453.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  123.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only know the series expansion for cosx and sinx as far as trig is concerned so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, okay. Then it's as simple as \sin 2x \csc 2x = 1, expand \sin 2x and then compare coefficients.

i.e:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} \left(2x - \frac{4x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^5}{15}\right) (a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3) = 1\end{equation*}

dropping terms of degree >3.

Also, would make the numbers nicer if you just used \sin x \csc x = 1 and then x \mapsto 2x.

ReputationRep:
    Q17 part b

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to use part a.

You know the expansion of sin2x so 1/sin2x = (sin2x)^-1 = (.....)^-1. Now use binomial expansion.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay. Then it's as simple as \sin 2x \csc 2x = 1, expand \sin 2x and then compare coefficients.

i.e:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} \left(2x - \frac{4x^3}{3} + \frac{4x^5}{15}\right) (a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3) = 1\end{equation*}

dropping terms of degree >3.

Also, would make the numbers nicer if you just used \sin x \csc x = 1 and then x \mapsto 2x.
    That makes sense, but what coefficients do I exactly compare? If 2ax=1 \rightarrow a=\frac{1}{2x} which fits the answer but I'm not sure about others.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense, but what coefficients do I exactly compare? If 2ax=1 \rightarrow a=\frac{1}{2x} which fits the answer but I'm not sure about others.
    Look at my post. I remember doing this question 2 year ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Math12345)
    Look at my post. I remember doing this question 2 year ago.
    I attempted binomial expansion but it got too hairy when it came to replacing sin(2x) by its expansion.

ReputationRep:
    I attempted binomial expansion but it got too hairy when it came to replacing sin(2x) by its expansion.
    sin(2x)=2x-(4/3)x^3+... (You can fill in the missing third term)

(sin(2x))^-1 = (2x-(4/3)x^3))^-1 = (2x(1-(2/3)x^2))^-1 = 1/(2x) [1+(2/3)x^2 +...]

You can continue (I used the expansion (1-y)^-1 above).

ReputationRep:
    Math12345's answer is rather nicer, but anyways, for completeness:

Coefficient of x^2 gives 2b - \frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{4}{3}= 0 \Rightarrow b=\frac{1}{3}

x^3 gives 2c = 0 \Rightarrow c=0

x^4 gives 2d - \frac{4b}{3} + \frac{2}{15} = 0\Rightarrow d = \frac{7}{45}

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.