TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Our pass mark was something like 53% usually set at 50%, no idea how many failed as our ranks haven't come
    Out yet.

62% from 50-55% is a massive leap, did you feel the exams were super easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Brockle)
    I think ours is usually about 60%, or so it's rumoured. (I don't know where to look to find out for sure.) I guess it varies year on year based on how difficult the papers are deemed to be?
    Well almost everyone came out of the SAQ feeling it was super easy but then we had 2 MCQ papers which everyone thought was really difficult. Once again, testing us on stuff we haven't learnt!!!

It was worse for the first years as I heard 25 failed the written :/

(Original post by Mrs House)
    Well almost everyone came out of the SAQ feeling it was super easy but then we had 2 MCQ papers which everyone thought was really difficult. Once again, testing us on stuff we haven't learnt!!!

It was worse for the first years as I heard 25 failed the written :/
    No idea how many are in your year so not sure how bad 25 is, in the year above me (when they were in first year) 10% of the year failed, which for me was a massive amount (30 people).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No idea how many are in your year so not sure how bad 25 is, in the year above me (when they were in first year) 10% of the year failed, which for me was a massive amount (30 people).
    That's around 170 each year so that's 14% :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    again that was not supposed to be anon.

ReputationRep:
    We got our second year results last week (passed woo) but the writtens pass mark was pretty high at 62%. It's always been 50-55%.
    Most people passed with 15 failing.

How's the pass mark with other medical schools like?
    Ours is always high 50s to mid 60s, but I think that's because I'm on a gem course. Our undergrad course has significantly lower pass marks for their exams for some reason!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    Ours is always high 50s to mid 60s, but I think that's because I'm on a gem course. Our undergrad course has significantly lower pass marks for their exams for some reason!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quite unfair to have a high pass mark in GEM because you guys have a LOT more to cover in 1 semester

ReputationRep:
    Quite unfair to have a high pass mark in GEM because you guys have a LOT more to cover in 1 semester
    No medical school uses an absolute pass mark (i.e. "this exam we want everyone to get 40%"), most use Angoff or modified Angoff. Higher pass marks actually mean the exam questions are easier or don't require as much in-depth knowledge, which would make sense if they're covering loads on GEM but want to test a broad range of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  13909380_1378568578837431_9089684196895943399_o.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  79.6 KB

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

ReputationRep:
    What's the highest fail % you've seen in OSCE stations? One of our (absolute joke of an) OSCE stations had a 33% fail rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    What's the highest fail % you've seen in OSCE stations? One of our (absolute joke of an) OSCE stations had a 33% fail rate.
    Not sure on the % fail but we once had an OSCE station where the pass mark was 7/30...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Not sure on the % fail but we once had an OSCE station where the pass mark was 7/30...
    Haha you're kidding? What was the task out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    Haha you're kidding? What was the task out of curiosity?
    It was a video of a stroke patient where you had to list the clinical signs and then answer some questions about types of stroke and management etc.

None of us could understand why we all did so badly on it, as it seemed like a fairly straightforward station!*

ReputationRep:
    Say hello to the new CEO of the GMC

ReputationRep:
    Eeeek George's is in clearing for medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I failed a modified CVS exam (asking for just inspection and palpation) with 65%, though others with different examiners passed with less. No idea what happened there, didn't have any negative feedback on my feedback sheets either! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    It was a video of a stroke patient where you had to list the clinical signs and then answer some questions about types of stroke and management etc.

None of us could understand why we all did so badly on it, as it seemed like a fairly straightforward station!*
    Omg do you go to UEA? They did a film Clip of a woman recovering from a stroke for my end of year OSCE last month. The pass mark was pretty low too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Eeeek George's is in clearing for medicine!
    They announced this a few weeks ago. Pretty sure its planned i.e. they kept like 2 or 3 spaces spare to try to see if they can pick up some ridiculously overqualified candidates who got rejected from everywhere else. A bit bizarre, but lets face it, med school entry requirements have never exactly been the most sensical/consistent!

ReputationRep:
    Omg do you go to UEA? They did a film Clip of a woman recovering from a stroke for my end of year OSCE last month. The pass mark was pretty low too...
    I did, I'm an F2 now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    They announced this a few weeks ago. Pretty sure its planned i.e. they kept like 2 or 3 spaces spare to try to see if they can pick up some ridiculously overqualified candidates who got rejected from everywhere else. A bit bizarre, but lets face it, med school entry requirements have never exactly been the most sensical/consistent!
    Yea, I read it somewhere a while back. I can't imagine them having many places through clearing. I'm not sure why they'd bother to pick up 2 or 3 candidates through clearing... surely it's makes more sense to just give the places to the 2 or 3 people who just missed out on the offer or interview score... Waiting list...

Hmm then again maybe it's a good idea for each of the med schools to have 2 or 3 places in clearing for the 'ridiculously overqualified' candidates...

ReputationRep:
    You'd assume that. But in my GEP year a third failed one of the exams due to it being horrific and high pass mark... We are known as THAT year haha. We just did 3 exams and an OSCE at the end of the 10 months of all pre clinical, hell absolute hell

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.