Robot wars is BACK!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    wood + petrol + fire pit =
    Sparks will fly.

And the big red kill switch on top might be a weak point too.......

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The whole robot looks like one big weak point. :teehee:

Imagine if they survive the melee somehow, part of me wants to see them put it back together again repeatedly for each of the second round fights.

ReputationRep:
    AJ's Flipper heat predictions :blow:

Big Nipper - I loved Big Nipper's previous, stag beetle design; apparently the gripper-flipper weapon is still an option, but they also have an interchangeable flywheel. I'd love to see them do well.

Dantomkia - A rebuilt and more powerful version of the successful Series 6 - 7 robot, though with a different team (also veterans, having competed in Series 7 with Trax). Should dominate its first melee, given its opponents.

Glitterbomb - A fun looking machine, but the axe doesn't look that dangerous compared with those we've seen so far (apparently it was taken from unsuccessful Series 6 - 7 robot Edge Hog, which the team bought).

King B Remix - A real veteran, but given that the team made constant upgrades throughout the show's original run, and it still only escaped the heats in Series 2, I'd say it's an outdated design.

Or Te - AKA Bigger Brother 2. It's certainly one of the best looking robots in the heat, and Ian Watts can certainly build good flipper bots, so I'm going to tentatively back this one despite knowing little else about it.

Overdozer - On top of what's already been said, I don't think anyone's mentioned the fact they have no self-righting mechanism, and a shockingly high ground clearance.

Supernova - Disappointing to learn they're not in Overdozer's melee. Judging by its weight, they haven't made any changes to it since Series 7 either. It never responded well to being flipped, so my guess is it'll be ganged up on and knocked out early.

TR2 - Current UK robotic champion, from the live shows that have continued since the original TV run ended. Very powerful flipper, and a new axe too by the looks of things, but it's not the most reliable.

My prediction to win the heat: Or Te

ReputationRep:
    Episode 3 recap:

My thoughts on the episode
    Argh, I should have stuck with my original prediction instead of switching to Or Te, then I'd still have a 100% success rate at predicting the heat winners runners up. :ahee: Ah well, still two chances to get one right. :p:

Big shame Or Te went out with a single hit though, before we got to see what it was capable of; those safety links have led to the quick defeat of many a good machine in Robot Wars' first run, including Dantomkia.

Would have preferred to see Overdozer meet its end on the flame pit or against Supernova's spinner, but seeing them get flipped into pieces was entertaining enough.

Shame Big Nipper's weapons weren't working as intended; as mentioned before, I love their crusher/flipper combo, but we only got to see it once (and against a robot far too big and weird-shaped to grab, even if it was working). Their driving could use some work as well!

I underestimated TR2, as they seemed prone to breaking down a lot (flipper, drive or both) in a lot of the live show footage I've seen. Clearly it's a fantastic robot when it works, and the driver is excellent - I don't rate the 'bum axe', though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It can't just be me who thinks the returning teams have generally been let downs? Also, I'm beginning to dislike the whole '2 robots immediately eliminated' thing if I'm honest, it's like 'here's your 3 minutes of fame, see you later'...

ReputationRep:
    Catching up on the new episodes now. Team Nuts got utterly decimated in the first ep :lol:

Edit: My favourite house robot when I as younger was Dead Metal. Anything with saw/spinny parts in general are my thing. Liked the look of Carbide so far here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    It can't just be me who thinks the returning teams have generally been let downs? Also, I'm beginning to dislike the whole '2 robots immediately eliminated' thing if I'm honest, it's like 'here's your 3 minutes of fame, see you later'...
    The 'four way, two robots eliminated' starting melee isn't anything new, Series 6 and 7 did the same thing. The difference was that in the past, there was a greater quantity and less overall quality of robots, so the returning favourites (which were seeded to ensure they didn't face each other) rarely came up against any big threats until the heat finals.

Now there's a real mix of old robots that mostly haven't been updated, 'new' teams that have actually been performing in live shows for years using the latest technology, and genuinely new robots that were built in a rush and are untested. It's definitely the latter two groups that have been putting on the best performance so far.

Hopefully if we get another series, preferably with more than a couple months notice for the roboteers this time, we'll have a higher number of entries, and if they have any sense then they'll seed the best of this year's robots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Catching up on the new episodes now. Team Nuts got utterly decimated in the first ep :lol:
    They reminded me abit of Diotor back in the day :moon:

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    The 'four way, two robots eliminated' starting melee isn't anything new, Series 6 and 7 did the same thing. The difference was that in the past, there was a greater quantity and less overall quality of robots, so the returning favourites (which were seeded to ensure they didn't face each other) rarely came up against any big threats until the heat finals.

Now there's a real mix of old robots that mostly haven't been updated, 'new' teams that have actually been performing in live shows for years using the latest technology, and genuinely new robots that were built in a rush and are untested. It's definitely the latter two groups that have been putting on the best performance so far.

Hopefully if we get another series, preferably with more than a couple months notice for the roboteers this time, we'll have a higher number of entries, and if they have any sense then they'll seed the best of this year's robots.
    It's just like 'I'm just getting to know you' and then you're gone :sad: I'm still to see some of destruction à la Hypnodisc and having watched an episode of Robot Wars Extreme last night, I'd bring Craig Charles back in a heartbeat

ReputationRep:
    I still feel someone should just strap a couple of thermic lances to their robot, shouldn't be too hard to win then despite them burning out relatively quickly ..

ReputationRep:
    Its gonna be awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I still feel someone should just strap a couple of thermic lances to their robot, shouldn't be too hard to win then despite them burning out relatively quickly ..
    Unfortunately, I believe flame/heat weapons are still against the rules in the UK series (only Sgt Bash and the arena hazards ever used them, not the competitors). :p:

(Original post by JordanHardy)
    Its gonna be awesome
    It's already been airing for three weeks, if you weren't aware - you can catch up on iPlayer though.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware, been away for two weeks. When I left they didn't have a date. I shall binge on it now

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I believe flame/heat weapons are still against the rules in the UK series (only Sgt Bash and the arena hazards ever used them, not the competitors). :p:

It's already been airing for three weeks, if you weren't aware - you can catch up on iPlayer though.
    Buzz kills..

ReputationRep:
    Episode 5 predictions. :waffo:

Apollo - New to the heavyweight division, though the team did enter earlier series with featherweight and antweight robots. Looks like a very good flipper (they claim they can throw a 100kg robot 6 feet into the air), seems well armoured, could be a real threat.

Eruption - Despite Apollo's promise, I'm putting my faith in Eruption's tried and tested flipper, which boasts a superior 10 feet flipping power. Twice UK champion at Fighting Robotics Association events. I'm liking the new gripping claw and paint job, as despite the fact Eruption was always fun to watch, it was also quite boring to look at!

Kan-Opener - Claims to have the strongest crushing weapon in this series. A rebuild of the robot that, despite winning two Annihilator specials in Extreme 2 and Series 7, failed to get past round 1 of a main series in any of its three attempts.

PP3D - Built and captained by Gary Cairns, from the same team that previously entered with controversial Series 7 winners Typhoon 2 - so this is the closest thing we have to a Robot Wars reigning champion if you discount the live show awards. The weapon looks great, but the wheels look vulnerable...

Sabretooth - The team's previous two TV appearances didn't end well, but I have to say their new machine looks gorgeous. :coma: Probably the nicest looking robot this series, and featuring some great weapons. Plastic armour though...

Storm 2 - And here's the robot that controversially lost to Typhoon 2 in Series 7. I hope they and PP3D survive their melees so we get to see a grudge match, though whether or not they'll reference stuff from the original run on TV is another thing. In addition to their battering ram speed and power, and the lifter they had in S7, they now have an interchangeable vertical flywheel.

Sweeney Todd - I though this looked quite impressive for an all-new machine from a team completely new to the sport... then I saw the weight. 45kg. Under S7 rules, this would be a middleweight. I wonder how high Apollo will be able to flip what is effectively half a robot?

Terror Turtle - :rofl: Usually found topping lists such as 'least effective S7 robot', with 0 wins and 4 losses to its name. The main robot looks unchanged, still sporting part-wood, part-fibreglass, part-aluminium, all fragile armour. They used the extra weight allowance on a weaponless minibot. Cannon fodder.

My prediction to win the heat: Eruption.

ReputationRep:

Apollo - New to the heavyweight division, though the team did enter earlier series with featherweight and antweight robots. Looks like a very good flipper (they claim they can throw a 100kg robot 6 feet into the air), seems well armoured, could be a real threat.

Eruption - Despite Apollo's promise, I'm putting my faith in Eruption's tried and tested flipper, which boasts a superior 10 feet flipping power. Twice UK champion at Fighting Robotics Association events. I'm liking the new gripping claw and paint job, as despite the fact Eruption was always fun to watch, it was also quite boring to look at!

Kan-Opener - Claims to have the strongest crushing weapon in this series. A rebuild of the robot that, despite winning two Annihilator specials in Extreme 2 and Series 7, failed to get past round 1 of a main series in any of its three attempts.

PP3D - Built and captained by Gary Cairns, from the same team that previously entered with controversial Series 7 winners Typhoon 2 - so this is the closest thing we have to a Robot Wars reigning champion if you discount the live show awards. The weapon looks great, but the wheels look vulnerable...

Sabretooth - The team's previous two TV appearances didn't end well, but I have to say their new machine looks gorgeous. :coma: Probably the nicest looking robot this series, and featuring some great weapons. Plastic armour though...

Storm 2 - And here's the robot that controversially lost to Typhoon 2 in Series 7. I hope they and PP3D survive their melees so we get to see a grudge match, though whether or not they'll reference stuff from the original run on TV is another thing. In addition to their battering ram speed and power, and the lifter they had in S7, they now have an interchangeable vertical flywheel.

Sweeney Todd - I though this looked quite impressive for an all-new machine from a team completely new to the sport... then I saw the weight. 45kg. Under S7 rules, this would be a middleweight. I wonder how high Apollo will be able to flip what is effectively half a robot?

Terror Turtle - :rofl: Usually found topping lists such as 'least effective S7 robot', with 0 wins and 4 losses to its name. The main robot looks unchanged, still sporting part-wood, part-fibreglass, part-aluminium, all fragile armour. They used the extra weight allowance on a weaponless minibot. Cannon fodder.

I wonder if your predictions will be more accurate this week? :angel:

omg i always forget this is on and then get excited when i see this thread :excited:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if your predictions will be more accurate this week? :angel:
    It would make a nice change. :moon: Though if Eruption did go out, I'd be just as happy to see Storm 2 or Sabretooth advance. Wrong for a 4th time, but still happy. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought the last episode was great. It's always entertaining to see the House Robots get beaten at their own game.

ReputationRep:

Results spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well you were close. I'll give you that

So sad Sabertooth's srimech didn't work as they were - as you said, a really looking robot and may have been able to go much further. Storm 2 bored me to death. £20k on a robot and all you're going to do is push people? Might aswell just build a brick on wheels :unimpressed:

Apollo were so much fun though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Results spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Well you were close. I'll give you that

So sad Sabertooth's srimech didn't work as they were - as you said, a really looking robot and may have been able to go much further. Storm 2 bored me to death. £20k on a robot and all you're going to do is push people? Might aswell just build a brick on wheels :unimpressed:

Apollo were so much fun though :lol:

Ep 4 spoilers
    I'm always close. :moon: Or Te never happened. :nah:

Terror Turtle hold onto their 'never beyond round 1' title from the original shows, along with Sabertooth and unfortunately Kan Opener. The latter two looked greatly improved, but both had problems. I really hope we'll be seeing them again.

I'm a huge supporter of Storm 2/ram bots in general. The show has given the team a hard enough time in the past as it is! Their battle against Steel Avenger for example was anything but boring.

Admittedly though, I preferred their faster S7 speeds. And it's a huge shame we didn't get to see their flywheel, though I did like their flipper and how quickly it allowed them to self-right.

Overall, this was my favourite episode, as any of the four that escaped the first round melees could have won it TBH, so none of the fights were predictable. There weren't any robots like Foxic or King B Remix that just happened to survive. I actually thought Apollo were the least likely of the four to come out on top, due to their wheel/drive issues, but their weapon certainly made up for it. :coma:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.