MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    does anyone have the answer to the first part of 4i 2011, the mark scheme doesnt say
    Doesn't it? I mean, I presume you can draw the graphs, and it gives the largest value of x + y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Doesn't it? I mean, I presume you can draw the graphs, and it gives the largest value of x + y.
    it doesnt show a pic of the correct graphs

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt show a pic of the correct graphs
    Do you not trust yourself to sketch straight lines correctly?

ReputationRep:
    Do you not trust yourself to sketch straight lines correctly?
    ....and curved lines

ReputationRep:
    ....and curved lines
    Curved lines. Lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ....and curved lines
    Do you refer also to part ii?

ReputationRep:
    Do you refer also to part ii?
    yes,i dont know how accuarate the gradient has to be

ReputationRep:
    yes,i dont know how accuarate the gradient has to be
    Ah right. Well if you're particularly concerned you can just plot a few points to better guide the line, for instance at x = 0.5, 1, 1.5. They probably wouldn't care too much about this sort of thing, so long as the graphs have the right relationship with each other and the quarter circle.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that hasn't studied for the MAT for two or more months?
    Though, I kind of regret it now because the recent papers aren't as easy as those from earlier years. Can I ask you to tell me how much you got on the 2013, 2014 and 2015 papers for comparison please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evariste18)
    Though, I kind of regret it now because the recent papers aren't as easy as those from earlier years. Can I ask you to tell me how much you got on the 2013, 2014 and 2015 papers for comparison please?
    ive literally done every paper apart from those 3

ReputationRep:
    ive literally done every paper apart from those 3
    Ok, I am just trying to find out some scores because the fact (which I only realised a short time ago) that you are all preparing makes me quite uncomfortable knowing that I could have studied much more.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I am just trying to find out some scores because the fact (which I only realised a short time ago) that you are all preparing makes me quite uncomfortable knowing that I could have studied much more.
    check the oxford website and you can see the average score of all applicants, and the avg score of ones who got interviews and offers. basically, you want to aim for 70 to get an offer

ReputationRep:
    I think I really started preparing in earnest just over a month ago, mainly doing 1 past paper a week (I'm doing the 2012 paper on Wednesday), though because I'm in Scotland I had to learn a few bits and bobs (trapezium rule, binomal thereom, sums of series, etc.) before I could really start. I think having relatively long gaps between papers is important, so you can spend time between doing them really looking over what you've done, and understanding where you could improve.

If you start now, if you haven't already, I think there's definitely enough time for you to prepare for it well. I think the most important thing when you're preparing is good evaluation of your work - taking the time to learn and understand what you can do better, and how to improve on that for the next paper.

Also, on the Maths Institute website, there's information for each paper, showing the average score for all applicants, the average score for applicants that are interviewed, and the average score for successful applicants. Note that this is specifically for questions 1-5 - the amounts may differ if you're applying for Computer Science instead (or both).

ReputationRep:
    No. There's plenty of time left to prepare. Those who started preparing two or three months ago are just overzealous and I don't think there's any benefit after a certain point anyway. I think the optimal time to start preparing would be around mid-September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No. There's plenty of time left to prepare. Those who started preparing two or three months ago are just overzealous and I don't think there's any benefit after a certain point anyway. I think the optimal time to start preparing would be around mid-September.
    Ok, got it. That's comforting to hear.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me out ? I've made the mistake of going through all of the mat past papers in summer and now I'm left with nothing to exercise on. I'm applying for CS btw so any CS -themed questions would be of great help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by player777)
    Can anyone help me out ? I've made the mistake of going through all of the mat past papers in summer and now I'm left with nothing to exercise on. I'm applying for CS btw so any CS -themed questions would be of great help.
    ...this is exactly what I mean by overzealous and starting overly early.

Anywho, have a look at Cambridge's CSAT question specimen paper, look at the NSAA and whatever mathematics related admissions test specimen papers there are for Cambridge. Try the really old MAT papers from 2000-2005 or whatever that's recently been uncovered.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any websites with good practice multiple choice questions? I remember stumbling upon one when looking for revision material but now can't seem to find it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputeiT)
    Are there any websites with good practice multiple choice questions? I remember stumbling upon one when looking for revision material but now can't seem to find it again!
    dunno but if you find it post it here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputeiT)
    I don't know about additional multiple choice questions, but if you look up the "Reimann Zeta Club" they've got a great powerpoint, organising some multiple choice questions by topic, with commentary on getting the questions right.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.