The Student Room Group

What exactly is your problem with benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
x

I could hug you for writing this :hug:
Original post by 0to100
Well go on.

Oh stop it :rolleyes:
Even your mum and dad collecting pensions? Which is included in the same budget as tax credits? Because it's the same exact concept of welfare? They're scum? Wowo. Make sure to tell them.

I can't rep you enough on this thread @0to100 I bet he thinks people who use food banks are scroungers aswell
Original post by 0to100
Well go on.

Oh stop it :rolleyes:
Even your mum and dad collecting pensions? Which is included in the same budget as tax credits? Because it's the same exact concept of welfare? They're scum? Wowo. Make sure to tell them.
There's a difference between paying a pension to someone who has worked their whole lives, contributing to the economy, and someone who just scrounges off the state.

I believe someone mentioned that child benefit has been reduced down to 2 children? Good, everyone should have the right to have children but no one should have the right to demand others pay for them. 2 is a suitable limit as it's the replacement rate for a couple, only giving benefits for 1 child may discourage parents from having another, which would be bad for the economy.

I agree that a degree of welfare is necessary but it should be kept as minimalistic as possible. In a civilised nation we shouldn't just let people die in the streets, but if they're living solely from state contributions then they should not be permitted to live a luxurious life. Benefits should be set each year to the minimum needed to buy goods/pay bills each week based on the consumer price index; if they wish to buy things like flat screen TVs then they should get a job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JRKinder
There's a difference between paying a pension to someone who has worked their whole lives, contributing to the economy, and someone who just scrounges off the state.

I believe someone mentioned that child benefit has been reduced down to 2 children? Good, everyone should have the right to have children but no one should have the right to demand others pay for them. 2 is a suitable limit as it's the replacement rate for a couple, only giving benefits for 1 child may discourage parents from having another, which would be bad for the economy.

I agree that a degree of welfare is necessary but it should be kept as minimalistic as possible. In a civilised nation we shouldn't just let people die in the streets, but if they're living solely from state contributions then they should not be permitted to live a luxurious life. Benefits should be set each year to the minimum needed to buy goods/pay bills each week based on the consumer price index; if they wish to buy things like flat screen TVs then they should get a job.

My point is right here:
do you know what their life is like if they do? Psh go visit someone who lives solely off benefits lol with like one kid as well. It's a crack in the floor away from living like a tramp on the streets. Some people are envious of those who seem to live pretty good off them with loads of kids. That's an unfair and untrue depiction.
Original post by 0to100
Well go on.

lmao relax:colonhash:
Original post by Chrissy_035
lmao relax:colonhash:

:ahhhhh:
You reminded me: I was just gonna make a thread on if you're ashamed to go to the food banks :eek:
Should I?
Original post by 0to100
You reminded me: I was just gonna make a thread on if you're ashamed to go to the food banks :eek:
Should I?

Yes do it; there's definitely a stigma around it and it's not good.
It's when claiming benefits becomes a job. That's where my problem lies
Original post by Pinkberry_y

The nature of claiming benefits is actually quite time-consuming and they are very strict when it comes to appointments and stuff. My mum is currently on unemployment benefits and the amount of stuff she has do to do that detracts from her looking for work is ridiculous

Well some people are trapped into claiming because then their monies will stop if they get a job or residence lol I myself have been on JSA only and that was once during a gap year :\ but temporary/emergency claimants are still stigmatised.
I'm not sure of what your situation is like with benefits so I can't comment on it. But I know several families that are on benefits then go visit their home country for 2 months whilst claiming benefits here. Then when they're back here they spend all day at home or going to eachothers Houses
Basically.
Original post by 0to100
Well some people are trapped into claiming because then their monies will stop if they get a job or residence lol I myself have been on JSA only and that was once during a gap year :\ but temporary/emergency claimants are still stigmatised.

I have no issue with temporary/emergency claimants, that's why the system was designed imo. But I will always be against someone who's been on benefits for years when they could realistically find a job if they wanted to
I have no issue with temporary/emergency claimants, that's why the system was designed imo. But I will always be against someone who's been on benefits for years when they could realistically find a job if they wanted to

Ok.
I'll def do it when I have the energy to argue :laugh:
I'm not sure of what your situation is like with benefits so I can't comment on it. But I know several families that are on benefits then go visit their home country for 2 months whilst claiming benefits here. Then when they're back here they spend all day at home or going to eachothers Houses

Myself? I work two part time jobs as of present whilst I sort myself out academically but I've been on JSA in the past and had I not been living with my mother at the time I would not have managed financially because of how little they give you. They don't even give you money to cover costs for interviews, job tests etc so how are you supposed to get a job if you have to choose between spending what little money you have on either an interview or food or bills?

I don't know what kind of families they are but they are defiantly the exception as opposed to the rule. Likely lying or gaming the system in some way
Wow the replies here obviously show how uneducated some people are.
Let's break this down shall we..

Pensions is very different from benefits without a doubt. If you are comparing pensions benefits, I suggest you do abit of researching.
Benefits are stigmatised. You cannot stereotype someone who is on benefits, you do not know why and how they ended up on welfare.
Now... When you're talking about these families with 5+ children and are claiming... Well what can you say? Are you in a position to stop them from having children? Are you in a position to dictate how much they get? Are you in a position to decide whether or not they get money.
If not then please keep mouth shut. If you cannot do anything about the situation don't vent it out on TSR by ranting and complaining about it, it's funny.. I see a lot of people talking and arguing over benefits and the people they feel are making it a problem. Just don't forgot... Most of the people on benefits are 'white unemployed'. Check out .gov stats and eat a ice cream.

Posted from u a hoe mobile
Original post by 0to100
I'll def do it when I have the energy to argue :laugh:

Good lad, someone has to say this kind of stuff.

Also, I know its not relevant to the thread but you're kind of a cute guy, if you don't mind me saying
Reply 179
I CLAIM BENEFITS AND IT IS THE WORST EXISTENCE ON THIS GOD DAMN PLANET.

Ok maybe having no benefits and starving to death would be worse. But oh my godddd.

Like probably every time I'm in the job centre somebody breaks down in tears. I've seen grown men in tears.
A man with a walking stick, who said he had to quit his last job because he can't stand for long periods of time, was advised by his job coach to apply for a job in a bar.
A girl went in with 10 GCSEs mostly As and A*s and they refused to believe that they were all legitimate.

Whenever I hear people moaning about the amount the government spends on benefits, I DREAM of the day that I can pay taxes!!! Out of touch or what.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending