A100 Edinburgh Medicine - 2017 Entry

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I think anything from 710 and below will fall into the second octile onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patryk_)
    i think you slightly misunderstood me, I got 2050 not 1990, however in 2016 the top octalie was 3600-2900, which would be 2700-2000 this year, or even lower considering the lower average, so wouldn't that mean I'm likely to be in the top octalie. Or I'm I just being stupid and overlooking something?
    Yes, but you cannot just take 900 off each score, as most people did not score 900 in DA. The best "guess" is probably to take last years octiles, divide by 4 and multiply by 3 as DA has typically been worth about 25% of the score in the UKCAT over the last 2 years, whereas (barring the top possible score), 900 would be a far bigger percentage than this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GANFYD)
    Yes, but you cannot just take 900 off each score, as most people did not score 900 in DA. The best "guess" is probably to take last years octiles, divide by 4 and multiply by 3 as DA has typically been worth about 25% of the score in the UKCAT over the last 2 years, whereas (barring the top possible score), 900 would be a far bigger percentage than this
    That makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

In the scoring for IGCSEs, do they mark you down for having a B?
    I have 8 A*s 1A and 1B (English Language)
    What score would I get?
    As it states I will get a 2 if I have a 'B in any other subjects' I am very worried.
    http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/file...book_final.pdf pg33

ReputationRep:
    Also I have A level grades of A*A*A*A b. My A Grade was taken 2 years early (in Year 11). Will they consider my A level that was taken early as the 4th subject? Or would they take my b grade at AS level in one of my subjects. What score would I get out of 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patryk_)
    However each subtest is worth 900, so if you remove DA from 2900, you'd get 2000.
    That's not how it would work though. If it was 2000 then the octiles average would be 666, which would mean everyone had done much worse for no apparent reason.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if and when they release the octiles for ukcat for Edinburgh??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandasandpens)
    Does anyone know if and when they release the octiles for ukcat for Edinburgh??
    I don't think they ever do until the following year's UKCAT results are released. But with a fallen average this year, the octiles will probably be about the same as last year.

ReputationRep:
    What were the octiles last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esoryma)
    What were the octiles last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See post #112. It's all in the second document

ReputationRep:
    What does a full-mark personal statement look like? 38/40 assuming 6/6 on PS, and a UK applicant.... So if i get any less than 6/6 then I don't really stand a chance!!

ReputationRep:
    Do I have a chance of getting an interview?

UKCAT: 649
    SJT: Band 1
    A*AA
    strong ps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)

A*AA
    strong ps
    Edinburgh only interviews graduates

ReputationRep:

A*AA
    strong ps
    Edinburgh don't interview for undergrad medicine - I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Edinburgh only interviews graduates
    A place*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GANFYD)
    See post #112. It's all in the second document
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    A place*
    You're UKCAT is 'only' average but you should still stand a reasonable chance if you get a good score for your PS

ReputationRep:

A*AA
    strong ps
    Depends on your GCSEs, your AS/4th A2 and whether you are a Scottish or RUK applicant (as well as how the rest of the cohort have performed!). Your UKCAT would have fallen in the 4th or 5th octile in the last 2 years, meaning you would lose either 3 or 4 marks here, so it depends on the other criteria they score.

ReputationRep:

A*AA
    strong ps
    Well no interviews but reasonable chance of an offer. The band 1 will rank you up and your UKCAT looks above average this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when Edinburgh start giving out offers?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.