Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not everyone going to uni has a supportive family Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Not with me. HSBC wanted their money back within a year of opening up my student bank account.

Defo wouldn't suggest to anyone who has financial difficulty to get one as banks expect you to constantly put money in and pay off the account very quickly. Or, at least HSBC does.
    That doesn't sound like a normal student account-the terms of your interest free over draft should not change until your status as a student changes to graduate status.

You should read the terms and conditions of these things closely to avoid being screwed over like this
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    That doesn't sound like a normal student account-the terms of your interest free over draft should not change until your status as a student changes to graduate status.

You should read the terms and conditions of these things closely to avoid being screwed over like this
    Every contract says the banks are within their rights to ask for the money back whenever they want.

It was an interest-free account.

I don't need a lecture on how to read a contract. I was merely pointing out my experience and now every student bank account is beneficial for someone who hasn't got money to repay the bank. A student bank account isn't supposed to be used as a scapegoat for people who haven't got money. It's supposed to be used in terms of being temporary. I knew loads of other friends who needed to pay back their loans within their first year of opening theirs too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Every contract says the banks are within their rights to ask for the money back whenever they want.

It was an interest-free account.

I don't need a lecture on how to read a contract. I was merely pointing out my experience and now every student bank account is beneficial for someone who hasn't got money to repay the bank. A student bank account isn't supposed to be used as a scapegoat for people who haven't got money. It's supposed to be used in terms of being temporary. I knew loads of other friends who needed to pay back their loans within their first year of opening theirs too.
    That's a very unusual system. Normally the "temporary" is the 3-4 years you spend as an undergrad. Especially as a lot of students have to live out of their overdraft due to lack of funding and can't pay back anything until they're working after graduation.*

ReputationRep:
    You cant select your parents, but how you are to live (read: exist) with them is your decision. It is unlucky to have such a rough start though.

I would just solo'ing everything. Which I do, mostly.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell you a story of supportive family...

When I was in my 2nd year at uni, my father who suffers from early onset Parkinsons, gambled away our entire family fortune of 120.000 euros. Our family business went bankrupt because of this.

I was left with no money and I didn't have access to maintenance loans due to being an EU student. I had the option to drop out or pay the bills myself. I chose the 2nd and worked 2 jobs throughout the last 2 years of my architecture course. I ended up failing a lot of units and due to the excessive pressure I put myself into, I suffered psychosis (experiencing hallucinations) and spent 2 months at a mental health clinic.

I am still under medication, broke and still haven't managed to finish my degree and I doubt that I will be able to resume my studies, qualify as an architect and get a job in the UK, now that Brexit has also happened.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.