Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Knife incident in Russell Square - One dead, five injured Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspiringtop123)
    That quotation doesn't not disagree. Muslims pay a different form of tax- zakat, and non-Muslims pay jizya. Different but equal
    how can you claim (without producing any proof) that zakat and jizyah are "equal" ?

by nature, zakat and jizyah are very different : zakat is a yearly tax on assets, fixed at 2.5% of certain assets (e.g. gold, cattle) in proportion of the period of the year held, and above a certain level (nisab); it is paid by Muslims and used for the welfare of the Ummah

jyzyah is a "head tax" paid each year by all non-Muslim males (with some exceptions : priests, monks, disabled etc). It has no fixed level, but it can be fixed by the Muslim government at whatever level is considered appropriate. It is used to finance the general State budget (and not the welfare of non-Muslim communities)

historically, you have the case of jizyah tax fixed at levels so high, that in some communities non-Muslim families had to sell off their children as slaves in order to pay for it ...

and let there be no compulsion in matters of religion

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    "Equal", but "in a state of subjection".
    that is the second objective of jizyah: to humiliate non-Muslims

in fact, there are cases where some non-Muslim communities - which had cooperated militarily with the Muslims - obtained the privilege of paying twice the normal zakat amount instead of paying jizyah

so, they avoided the humiliation of having to pay jizyah _- and, most likely, they also saved money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    how can you claim (without producing any proof) that zakat and jizyah are "equal" ?

by nature, zakat and jizyah are very different : zakat is a yearly tax on assets, fixed at 2.5% of certain assets (e.g. gold, cattle) in proportion of the period of the year held, and above a certain level (nisab); it is paid by Muslims and used for the welfare of the Ummah

jyzyah is a "head tax" paid each year by all non-Muslim males (with some exceptions : priests, monks, disabled etc). It has no fixed level, but it can be fixed by the Muslim government at whatever level is considered appropriate. It is used to finance the general State budget (and not the welfare of non-Muslim communities)

historically, you have the case of jizyah tax fixed at levels so high, that in some communities non-Muslim families had to sell off their children as slaves in order to pay for it ...

and let there be no compulsion in matters of religion

best
    It's not compulsion. It's encouragement.

ReputationRep:
    dear Sir:

in your best interest, you should consider converting to Islam, so you won't have to sell your children into slavery : I am sure that Huey, Dewey and Louie will be hugely grateful

please do not consider this as compulsion : it's purely an encouragement... as you are well aware, in accordance with Quran 2:226, there is no compulsion in matters of religion

all the best from your friendly jizyah tax agent

ReputationRep:
    dear Sir:

in your best interest, you should consider converting to Islam, so you won't have to sell your children into slavery : I am sure that Huey, Dewey and Louie will be hugely grateful

please do not consider this as compulsion : it's purely an encouragement... as you are well aware, in accordance with Quran 2:226, there is no compulsion in matters of religion

all the best from your friendly jizyah tax agent
    I'm not going to argue with you, friend. We clearly have different opinions and you're not going to convince me and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Great news :yy:
    Yeah, finally not a muslim. Left-winger can finally relax.

ReputationRep:
    Don`t now gloat. It still stands the statistic that minorities/muslim comiteed more terror attacks than.ethnic Brits. It is because you are faulth for allowing millions low cultures to settle Europe. The sharia courts in uk are still here and wont go any soon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to argue with you, friend. We clearly have different opinions and you're not going to convince me and vice versa.
    you know, a discussion forum is made for people who have different opinions : difference in opinions is a prerequisite for a serious discussion, not an insuperable obstacle

best

ReputationRep:
    its all political dude

ReputationRep:
    you know, a discussion forum is made for people who have different opinions : difference in opinions is a prerequisite for a serious discussion, not an insuperable obstacle

best
    I'd rather not bother wasting my time, thank you. Have a great day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.