Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why do people here hate Warwick so much? Is it bad?

ReputationRep:
    It's a matter of perspective. The oxbridge lot say it is inferior to their universities. The next division down - UCL, Bristol etc bash it because of it's 'boring'/'soulless' location. Those at the rest of RG Universities dislike it because of the high entry standards. The rest hate it because they could never dream of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    I like how everyone is bashing me. I guess no one likes to hear the truth. Poor pitiful Cambridge guy, princepie and the random numbers guy. Say whatever you want, won't change the truth. UCL > Warwick now and always. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scruffyjoe)
    I like how everyone is bashing me. I guess no one likes to hear the truth. Poor pitiful Cambridge guy, princepie and the random numbers guy. Say whatever you want, won't change the truth. UCL > Warwick now and always. x
    Okay, Manchester boy.

ReputationRep:
    just because UCL is pretty and warwick is not doesn't make UCL more prestigious than warwick. if we were to stick to that logic, then ucl would also beat imperial (which looks like a department store). except ucl could never dream of being anywhere near as good as imperial in any of the courses they share, bar medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterhouseKIL)
    Oh, wow. Scruffjoe is a Manchester graduate.

Manchester is heavily looked down upon at Cambridge, just for your slight information.

We all know Manchester lives heavily off clearing for students with BCC- it is one of the EASIEST universities to get into. Who is he to comment on Warwick and UCL? To everyone reading, do not follow this person and what he has to say. He is merely a Manchester student with the obvious little to no intellect.
    I don't know why you are attacking me and my university personally, this thread isn't even about Manchester. Just shows how pathetic you are. Maybe you should follow your own advice about not attacking others personally. Is this what they taught you at Cambridge? Tsk tsk tsk. I pity your cambridge education that taught you how to insult and bully others.

I may be a Manchester graduate of little intellect but I'm also a prospective post grad student at Columbia university - an Ivy League who didn't think I'm of little intellect when they offered me a place of admission.

X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    just because UCL is pretty and warwick is not doesn't make UCL more prestigious than warwick. if we were to stick to that logic, then ucl would also beat imperial (which looks like a department store). except ucl could never dream of being anywhere near as good as imperial in any of the courses they share, bar medicine
    Tbh UCL does smash Warwick in all international rankings (though Warwick often comes out higher in national rankings, these frequently have bizarre placings so I'm not sure how great they are). Then again, it is a bit weird to look at universities as a whole and ignore their departments. I think Warwick is pretty standard Russell Group affair in humanities and certain STEM courses like Engineering perhaps, but competes with (and, indeed, can be said to surpass in some cases) places like UCL and Imperial in subjects like Economics, Maths and Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Tbh UCL does smash Warwick in all international rankings (though Warwick often comes out higher in national rankings, these frequently have bizarre placings so I'm not sure how great they are). Then again, it is a bit weird to look at universities as a whole and ignore their departments. I think Warwick is pretty standard Russell Group affair in humanities and certain STEM courses like Engineering perhaps, but competes with (and, indeed, can be said to surpass in some cases) places like UCL and Imperial in subjects like Economics, Maths and Computer Science.
    true, but my argument was countering those who are using warwick's desolate location and lifeless buildings as a reason to prove UCL's superiority to it

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you are attacking me and my university personally, this thread isn't even about Manchester. Just shows how pathetic you are. Maybe you should follow your own advice about not attacking others personally. Is this what they taught you at Cambridge? Tsk tsk tsk. I pity your cambridge education that taught you how to insult and bully others.

I may be a Manchester graduate of little intellect but I'm also a prospective post grad student at Columbia university - an Ivy League who didn't think I'm of little intellect when they offered me a place of admission.

X
    I lol'd, this reeks of insecurity

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Love the name I got :borat: (unless I'm confusing it with the other random numbers guy who is actually smart and stumped the UCL entry requirements and went for Warwick [for the bants])
    I bashed you (if that's what you call it) for one sentence and I was making and observation followed by an assumption. You really did get fired up back there with no good reason; it's just in bad taste. Not only does attacking the speaker weaken your argument it also adds an element of bias (under an assumption of course but weakens the argument further none the less). When you try back up your argument without credible sources (I.e. Your opinions) that also weakens the argument. I am very much aware of UCL's great name and I don't doubt that they obliterated Warwick in things like Law, Engineering, Architechture and many more. To me Mathematics is of interest and Warwick is simply stronger in that than UCL. Hence the only reason I put Warwick over UCL. Hell, I didn't apply to Warwick because I knew it was going to be harder and more demanding than UCL.

ReputationRep:

X
    Funny you mention Columbia, one of my "acquiantants" (guy who did Maths and Further Maths) who graduated school last year got accepted to Columbia for Physics and said no and went to UCL for Computer Science, it took him 3 months to quit it. Not because the uni was bad, just the course didn't suit him as well as he thought.
    Off topic but relatable none the less.

ReputationRep:

X
    i feel like you're not in a position to really comment on the relative prestige of UCL and warwick, because you seem to have a seriously warped view of what prestige and mediocracy is when it comes to UK universities (going by your previous threads)

ReputationRep:
    smh so childish, you ALL need to get a grip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    i feel like you're not in a position to really comment on the relative prestige of UCL and warwick, because you seem to have a seriously warped view of what prestige and mediocracy is when it comes to UK universities (going by your previous threads)
    I'll do (and comment on) whatever tf I want. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:

X
    Yeah sure, okay Manchester boy, keep defending yourself.

Kind of have to disagree to an extent. In humanities, they are in top 10 in the UK/ top league in the int rankings for Philosophy, English, History etc, rank 33rd in the world for Humanities and Arts. They are in every single magic circle target uni list. They are stronger in the UK for engineering by rankings. I only know this because whilst being at Cambridge, we were literally, whilst going for internships, always being told that there are certain other unis competing with us (Oxford, Imperial, LSE, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, UCL). The only natural science that UCL is better for is Biology/ life science related courses.

ReputationRep:

Kind of have to disagree to an extent. In humanities, they are in top 10 in the UK and the top league section in the international rankings for subjects such as Philosophy, English, History etc, rank 33rd in the world for Humanities and Arts. They are in every single magic circle target uni list. They are stronger in the UK for engineering by rankings. I only know this because whilst being at Cambridge, we were literally, whilst going for internships, always being told that there are certain other unis competing with us (Oxford, Imperial, LSE, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, UCL). The only natural science that UCL is better for is Biology/ life science related courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure, okay Manchester boy, keep defending yourself.
    Aww the loser from Warwick is yapping on about something again. *ignore*

I'm from Cambridge and Warwick. Both. But that's cute, you "ignore" but come straight back. Manchester boy trying to use tactics.

ReputationRep:

I'm studied at Cambridge AND Warwick. Both. But that's cute, you "ignore" but come straight back. Manchester boy trying to use tactics.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of have to disagree to an extent. In humanities, they are in top 10 in the UK/ top league in the int rankings for Philosophy, English, History etc, rank 33rd in the world for Humanities and Arts. They are in every single magic circle target uni list. They are stronger in the UK for engineering by rankings. I only know this because whilst being at Cambridge, we were literally, whilst going for internships, always being told that there are certain other unis competing with us (Oxford, Imperial, LSE, Durham, Warwick, Bristol, UCL). The only natural science that UCL is better for is Biology/ life science related courses.

Tbh I just have a vague distrust for national rankings. The Guardian and TCUG come up with some bizarre placements. Didn't know they were so high internationally for humanities though. I've paid most attention to STEM as I am a Maths student there and just figured, due to lack of hearing much to the contrary, that they weren't massively special otherwise.

edit: Oh right did you mean top 10 in the UK in the international rankings? Sorry I just read "top 10 in the UK" as a separate bit

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.