Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenthBelt1993)
    I know way more than 3 Classicists very personally. Given that I spent 4 years at Oxford and in my class at school everyone bar me went and did classics at Oxbridge.

Please get your brother to dig up and examiners finals report and see the grade breakdowns, then go and compare it to Physics/Maths.

At Oxford you can get away with doing almost no Language options, and just philosophy papers in which you are guaranteed high grades. Go and ask you brother about that.
    Doesn't maths have the highest amount of firsts in the country?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TenthBelt1993)
    'What stochastics are' hahahahahahha wtf is a stochastic.

Go on then explain (in 1-2 sentences) what Stochastic Calculus is and why it's very important in finance.
    You're just clutching on straws with that laugh tbh.

Err ok, stochastic processes are basically random time-linked 'processes' that evolve over some length of time. They're a time-sequence representation of a system's evolution represented by a random variable - basically a time series sequence of random variables.

Stochastic calculus is the study of how to 'measure' the value of a stochastic process (via integration) with respect to other stochastic processes - and given that the stock market is effectively a stochastic process, one can model the value (price) of stocks/securities based on how other stocks/securities behave all whilst acknowledging their random nature.

I mean, I'm no expert but this is what I understand it to be. Slate away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting perspective... Where are you hoping to do PPE/ Pol and Econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    What did you study out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I began with law and then transferred to politics

ReputationRep:
    English degrees, it seems like it's the degree to do if you don't really have an idea what you want to do with your life but still want the Uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    I'll see your Economics and raise you PPE.

Never a met a single PPE student who isn't a complete snob who thinks they're on a ticket to be a politician, without any other life experience.

I'm pretty certain that applications for PPE are based solely on imagined prestige rather than any interest or understanding of the course.
    This hurts

ReputationRep:
    I'd say maths I mean its difficult to get a job after it unless you have good experience and internships. A lot of people seem to think you get a high flying job in it instantly it can take quite a long time.

ReputationRep:
    How has no one mentioned liberal arts?! Its suddenly become the "fashionable" degree to be reading.. for no explainable reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    That feel when your starting a PPE degree soon.
    Lmao me too, what uni?

ReputationRep:
    Anything with "studies" at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Law grad here from a middling uni and Law is probably the correct answer. Everyone thinks you're really clever but hardly anyone gets a training contract. Half of the time you need a law degree to get a non-graduate law job to give you the experience to get a training contract so while there is money to be made from law it is, for most people who pursue law, a very long term process. The over saturation is so bad that I've seen legal apprenticeships at the £6.70 per hour apprentice minimum wage for law graduates with LLB and LPC qualifications.
    Apprentice minimum wage is £3.30. If requiring a degree doesn't make a job a graduate level job, what does?

(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    law. not many people who study law end up practicing law and its difficult to get a training contract unless you go to a top tier university.
    It's difficult to any good job without going to a top tier university. Why does people not continuing into law show that the degree is overrated?

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I began with law and then transferred to politics
    Says a lot really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Even though I aspire to do it, it's medicine for me. It seems as if everyone that takes it is touted as a genius and that you're an automatic success in life. I'm intrigued as to why physics/chemistry don't get the same level as respect, because they seem to be much harder. I mean, from some of my taster days, medicine seems like A Level Biology on steroids; there's excessive memorisation in every topic!
    Not sure how doing the course specific to becoming a doctor is overrated. We need more doctors and thats the route to take.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Underscore__;67193868]
    Says a lot really.
    yeah, and what's that supposed to mean?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Medicine, Maths/Engineering and Law... I can't stand the reaction students who study this gets when they reveal it. It's usually "Omg, you must be so clever!" It degrades every other degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabana)
    I'd say maths I mean its difficult to get a job after it unless you have good experience and internships. A lot of people seem to think you get a high flying job in it instantly it can take quite a long time.
    Can I ask if this is from experience or just what you've been told?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    medicine easily

who the **** wants to examine penises for a living
    Rolf Harris.

ReputationRep:
    Classics and History of Art...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sleepysnooze;67193918]

yeah, and what's that supposed to mean?
    You tried to study law, changed to an easier subject and now think law is overrated, I can smell the lemons from here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Although I'm planning to do it, Psychology

It seems far too many take it just because they don't know what to do or "enjoyed it at A Level". I've wanted to do it since I was 14 and have my entire career planned. You can be extremely successful in Psychology and earn a lot of money, but it's hard work and not many people make it, I don't think people realise this.
    Agree! I'm in the same position too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You tried to study law, changed to an easier subject and now think law is overrated, I can smell the lemons from here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it wasn't harder - I actually got the same grades in my first year of it as I did in my first year of politics. I just hated it and its course content. it was an awful, grey, bland, pointless time. but here you are, probably somebody who *did* study or continue to study law and thinks that their degree is nothing less than perfection. I've met way too many people like you. people who think that studying a non-sensical, contradictory collection of vague principles and rules makes them intelligent. at least, of course, that would apply if you *did* study law, with your typical response in mind obviously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.