The Current Year 10 Thread (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayu123)
    You doing triple science
    yes; specific subjects are biology, chemistry, and physicsim really bad at chemistry, but physics is just math and a bit of scientific concepts, and biology is all right i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sardonic Zarah)
    The reformed aqa French seems awful, how're you finding it
    It's been going quite well so far if I'm being honest but it's hard work. I admit that there is a lot to memorise but my memory is not that bad, so memorising Mrs Vandertramp as well as other vocabulary and tenses have been alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlushedTable)
    Hello my name is Nicholas and I'm (quite blatantly) in year 10

My subjects are

Triple science (AQA)
    English lit (AQA)
    English lang (AQA)
    Math (Edexel)
    History(Don't know)
    French (AQA)
    Music (Edexel)
    Computing (OCR)
    Religious Studies (Edexel)

My school starts GCSEs in year 9, so I'm already halfway through most of my courses.
    Someone else sitting exams this year (forgive me if I'm wrong), we're the last ones doing unreformed subjects 🎉

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDaniella7809)
    It's been going quite well so far if I'm being honest but it's hard work. I admit that there is a lot to memorise but my memory is not that bad, so memorising Mrs Vandertramp as well as other vocabulary and tenses have been alright.
    Memrise for learning vocabulary has been a god send, really recommend it for preparing for reading and listening Exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlushedTable)
    yes; specific subjects are biology, chemistry, and physicsim really bad at chemistry, but physics is just math and a bit of scientific concepts, and biology is all right i guess.
    how are you revising to succeeed??

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone coping with school so far? Any super difficult subjects or ones that seem easy? So far chemistry is a bit of a hassle for me lol but I find biology quite easy so far...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MartynaJP6)
    How's everyone coping with school so far? Any super difficult subjects or ones that seem easy? So far chemistry is a bit of a hassle for me lol but I find biology quite easy so far...
    Geography coursework is killing me. And Inspector Calls is a bore. The best I'll get is a b because my teacher is a wh*re

ReputationRep:
    Geography coursework is killing me. And Inspector Calls is a bore. The best I'll get is a b because my teacher is a wh*re
    I hate geography, thats why I took history haha. I find An Inspector Calls quite interesting, actually lol

ReputationRep:
    I hate geography, thats why I took history haha. I find An Inspector Calls quite interesting, actually lol
    Well because I'm a really smart great logical thinker, I took BOTH history and geography 😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    Well because I'm a really smart great logical thinker, I took BOTH history and geography 😊😊😊
    Haha How's that going? Are you also learning about the USA in history?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm Adrian and I'm going into Year 10 (obviously)

My interests (or obsessions) are Formula One, rugby and tennis also I enjoy athletics and I am a member of a club competing over sprint distance but also branching into endurance running cos who doesn't love doubling over in exhaustion at 9am in a park.

- English Literature (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - English Language (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - Maths (Edexcel))- Predicted a 9
    - I am probably taking Additional/Further Maths but not entirely sure atm
    - Chemistry (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - Biology (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - Physics (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - French (AQA, I think)- Predicted a 9
    - Philosophy and Ethics/Religious Studies (Don't Know Which Exam Board)- Predicted a 9
    - Geography (Edexcel)- Predicted a 9
    - Computer Science (OCR)- Predicted a 9
    - History (Edexcel)- Predicted a 9

Somehow I'm predicted all 9's due to the grades apparently being derived from KS2, is this the case for all UK schools?

My favourite subjects are undoubtedly the Sciences as they are my lifelong passion, however I've recently grown more interested in Maths as secondary has gone on mostly because of its application to in particular physics and generally I feel as if you just change your mindset from the generic 'I can't do maths it's only for geniuses and I won't need it in life', then at least inmy experience you'll notice a tangible difference in your achievement and maybe even begin to enjoy it.

To conclude, my ambition is to become an aerodynamicist in a Formula One team and I hope to attend Imperial College or Cambridge to study Aeronautical Engineering after completing A-Levels in Maths, Physics, Computing and Chemistry or History; if I pick a fourth subject.

Good Luck to everyone this year and the next, slightly more but with a little less procrastination hopefully I will achieve my targets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayu123)
    Wow congrates to her i am doing inspector calls as well do you have any old notes that i can see for revsion and i will show you mine xD
    ill tell her you said that to her. I will ask her for her revision notes if she still has them and i will definiteley share them xD

ReputationRep:
    Haha How's that going? Are you also learning about the USA in history?
    I'm with edexcel doing the unreformed course with exams this year. Doing Medicine through time, Germany 1912-45, Vietnam (with coursework), surgery through time. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwendo)
    Hi I'm Adrian and I'm going into Year 10 (obviously)

My interests (or obsessions) are Formula One, rugby and tennis also I enjoy athletics and I am a member of a club competing over sprint distance but also branching into endurance running cos who doesn't love doubling over in exhaustion at 9am in a park.

- English Literature (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - English Language (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - Maths (Edexcel))- Predicted a 9
    - I am probably taking Additional/Further Maths but not entirely sure atm
    - Chemistry (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - Biology (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - Physics (AQA)- Predicted a 9
    - French (AQA, I think)- Predicted a 9
    - Philosophy and Ethics/Religious Studies (Don't Know Which Exam Board)- Predicted a 9
    - Geography (Edexcel)- Predicted a 9
    - Computer Science (OCR)- Predicted a 9
    - History (Edexcel)- Predicted a 9

Somehow I'm predicted all 9's due to the grades apparently being derived from KS2, is this the case for all UK schools?

My favourite subjects are undoubtedly the Sciences as they are my lifelong passion, however I've recently grown more interested in Maths as secondary has gone on mostly because of its application to in particular physics and generally I feel as if you just change your mindset from the generic 'I can't do maths it's only for geniuses and I won't need it in life', then at least inmy experience you'll notice a tangible difference in your achievement and maybe even begin to enjoy it.

To conclude, my ambition is to become an aerodynamicist in a Formula One team and I hope to attend Imperial College or Cambridge to study Aeronautical Engineering after completing A-Levels in Maths, Physics, Computing and Chemistry or History; if I pick a fourth subject.

Good Luck to everyone this year and the next, slightly more but with a little less procrastination hopefully I will achieve my targets.
    Fellow Rugby player 🎉🎉🎉 and Cambridge aspirer

ReputationRep:
    Fellow Rugby player 🎉🎉🎉 and Cambridge aspirer
    Yasss what position do you play(full-back or wing) and do you support a Premiership or domestic rugby club cos uno Harlequins!!!!

anyway I'm more set on Imperial just cos they offer my specific course of choice
    rather than the broader one of Cambridge but saying that if I were to be other both I would probably end of leaning towards the latter cos of the academic supervisions
    and extras which they are known for but Imperial and Cambridge are on a virtual
    even keel for STEM, not that you care as you despise them.

*I ramble, a bit*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwendo)
    Yasss what position do you play(full-back or wing) and do you support a Premiership or domestic rugby club cos uno Harlequins!!!!

anyway I'm more set on Imperial just cos they offer my specific course of choice
    rather than the broader one of Cambridge but saying that if I were to be other both I would probably end of leaning towards the latter cos of the academic supervisions
    and extras which they are known for but Imperial and Cambridge are on a virtual
    even keel for STEM, not that you care as you despise them.

*I ramble, a bit*
    I play full-back and I'm from Oxford so Quins all the way 🎉. I don't completely despise STEM, just as school subjects. I'm part of a robotics club that works with Oxford university. Imperial sounds cool because of London and stuff but I'm not sure about their law department

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    That is complicated, but its an interesting mix, no-one could say that you're boring! What accent do you speak in, an Australian, British, American or other?
    My American friends say I speak in an Australian accent, my Australian friends say I've got an American accent, and my riding teacher says I've got an South African accent. So take your pick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrIso)
    ill tell her you said that to her. I will ask her for her revision notes if she still has them and i will definiteley share them xD
    Thks so much xDMeans the World xD

ReputationRep:
    I'm with edexcel doing the unreformed course with exams this year. Doing Medicine through time, Germany 1912-45, Vietnam (with coursework), surgery through time. What about you?
    We will be doing surgery through time, but currently we're doing the USA, then surgery and medicine and last super powers so Russia etc.

ReputationRep:
    your doing geography coursework ??? im doing geography as wellxD:p:o

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.