Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British woman stabbed to death by knifeman ‘chanting Allahu Akbar’ Watch

ReputationRep:
    These discussions always pull out the ignorant - I love it. It's like a coffee filter. I'm impressed though, the media have done a spectacular job at feeding society.
    I find it hella ironic too that people are saying to read the Qur'an and understand the scripture - sorry, I didn't know you were fluent in old Arabic and have read the Qu'ran fully, without it being taken out of context like all of this anti-religion rhetoric in addition to having read the Hadith alongside it...
    I just don't understand why its so sudden. Like... how old do you think Islam is???? 16 years old????? If Islam is the problem, then why is it only after 9/11 in which there is now an issue with Islam.

It's really sad that people wish to divide the Earth as it is. If doom is what you want then go ahead - but I'm good with unification so please take your bigotry next door. You'll find it beside Donald Trump, EDL and meninism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nosler)
    Can anyone here name many Islamic countries that are democratic and respect human rights?

If you cant name any does that not tell you something?
    Indonesia is possibly the best, but even it has issues with gender discrimination, FGM and rising political extremism. One province has been granted semi-autonomous sharia rule.

ReputationRep:
    so why don't the majority of peaceful Muslims (that we are often told about) speak out against extremism?
    well, to be fair, some of them do . Especially (but not only) the Ahmadiyya

too bad they are considered as being "out of the fold of Islam" by so many Muslims...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheckmateJoy)
    These discussions always pull out the ignorant .
    welcome to the club, mate

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    So you're going by one example? Your argument of losing someone is flawed on so many levels. Every single person in the world has lost someone close to them. Hell, even the Christians and Yazidis in the Middle East have had it much worse than you have and you don't see them blowing themselves up in the name of their faith.

The bombers in the 7/7 attacks had a religious motive. The Boston Marathon bombings had a religious motive. The Madrid bombings had a religious motive. The Brussels attacks had a religious motive. My my look at how much damage religious motives can cause!

Really? The only religion that I can think of is Christianity. I believe in Judaism. you don't even have to be Jewish to go to heaven and the same applies in Dharmic religions too. So wrong there.

Hahahahahaha where's your evidence that 1.6 billion Muslims in the world have adapted themselves to modern beliefs? Are you talking about the Muslims who only discriminate against Christians and Jews in Asia and Africa?
    There are so many examples, every single one of these has been since the Sydney Siege in 2014, and all involved in attacks on the west, so its relevant, terrorism has fundamentally changed since 2014, I agree that there were attacks for religious motives long before ISIS had established itself as what it is, but nowadays, its never religious:

Sedifine Rezgui (Tunisian beach attacker) - radicalised during the Libyan Civil War
    Said and Cherif Kouachi (Charlie Hebdo) - radicalised in prison, also their mother killed herself and they were adopted
    Amedy Coullibaly (Kosher supermarket hostage crisis) - got involved in petty crime and drug trafficking from an early age
    Man Haron Monis (Sydney Siege) - put on bail for sexual assault charges
    Salah Abdeslam (Paris attacks) - arrested at a young age, fired from his job because of crimes, wife left him
    Abdelhamid Abaaoud (Paris attacks) - arrested in 2010 for breaking into a parking garage, spent a further three separate times in jail
    Omar Mosfetai (Paris attacks) - involved in petty crime and arrested several times
    Mohamed Abrini (Brussels attack) - also involved in petty crime, brother killed while fighting for ISIS (EVIDENCE OF FAMILY LOSS)
    Yassine Labidi and Saber Kachnaoui (Tunisian Museum attack) - both radicalised because of the Tunisian uprising and conflict, loss of family and homes in both cases
    Adel Kermiche (recent Church hostage-taking and murder) - spent time in jail for attempting to go to Syria
    Omar Mateen (Orlando) - got refused to join law enforcement due to test failures, failed to get jobs, and had lots of disputes with family
    Riaz Khan (train stabbing) - refugee who had to flee Syria, no doubt had family killed and lost a sense of reality because of the conflict
    I could go on but you get the picture.

These people are ALWAYS radicalised by their lives being uprooted, generating hateful feelings, causing them to sympathise with ISIS. The presence of ISIS online means it is excessively easy to get help from them or join them.

That's the problem, not Islam.

Thankfully our government is being sensible in separating extremists in prisons, thats the first actual effective step they've taken, alongside airstrikes against ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    so why don't the majority of peaceful Muslims (that we are often told about) speak out against extremism?
    they do, lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    And in my view, which corresponds to the same view held by many people,
    Love it!

ReputationRep:
    There are so many examples, every single one of these has been since the Sydney Siege in 2014, and all involved in attacks on the west, so its relevant, terrorism has fundamentally changed since 2014, I agree that there were attacks for religious motives long before ISIS had established itself as what it is, but nowadays, its never religious:

Sedifine Rezgui (Tunisian beach attacker) - radicalised during the Libyan Civil War
    Said and Cherif Kouachi (Charlie Hebdo) - radicalised in prison, also their mother killed herself and they were adopted
    Amedy Coullibaly (Kosher supermarket hostage crisis) - got involved in petty crime and drug trafficking from an early age
    Salah Abdeslam (Paris attacks) - arrested at a young age, fired from his job because of crimes, wife left him
    Abdelhamid Abaaoud (Paris attacks) - arrested in 2010 for breaking into a parking garage, spent a further three separate times in jail
    Omar Mosfetai (Paris attacks) - involved in petty crime and arrested several times
    Mohamed Abrini (Brussels attack) - also involved in petty crime, brother killed while fighting for ISIS (EVIDENCE OF FAMILY LOSS)
    Yassine Labidi and Saber Kachnaoui (Tunisian Museum attack) - both radicalised because of the Tunisian uprising and conflict, loss of family and homes in both cases
    Adel Kermiche (recent Church hostage-taking and murder) - spent time in jail for attempting to go to Syria
    Omar Mateen (Orlando) - got refused to join law enforcement due to test failures, failed to get jobs, and had lots of disputes with family
    Riaz Khan (train stabbing) - refugee who had to flee Syria, no doubt had family killed and lost a sense of reality because of the conflict

These people are ALWAYS radicalised by their lives being uprooted, generating hateful feelings, causing them to sympathise with ISIS. The presence of ISIS online means it is excessively easy to get help from them or join them.

Thankfully our government is being sensible in separating extremists in prisons, thats the first actual effective step they've taken, alongside airstrikes against ISIS.
    They were radicalised to a more extreme version of Islam. So religion has everything to do with it and considering they followed the "Kill the infidel" part of the Quran seriously, it can be said that religion was a reason as to why they did it. You never addressed my question about Middle Eastern Christians and Yazidis being forced to experience war and death but yet they don't radicalise.

If Islam had nothing to do with it then why have there been more terrorist from that faith in comparison to other faiths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    They were radicalised to a more extreme version of Islam. So religion has everything to do with it and considering they followed the "Kill the infidel" part of the Quran seriously, it can be said that religion was a reason as to why they did it. You never addressed my question about Middle Eastern Christians and Yazidis being forced to experience war and death but yet they don't radicalise.

If Islam had nothing to do with it then why have there been more terrorist from that faith in comparison to other faiths?
    Because, as I've explained before, there is an Islamist militant group called ISIS which legitimises the hateful feelings of Muslims. Instead of this handful of hateful Muslims rejecting their negative feelings, it has the potential to be concentrated by ISIS onto whoever they want.

Islam plays a role, but its merely the veil of justification behind which these hateful murderers hide. Without their hateful feelings from their lives being ruined, they would not sympathise with ISIS.

ReputationRep:

Every one of those examples has a different backstory. However, there is on constant thread that runs through them all. The ideology that is used to achieve the radicalisation.
    Correct. Islam - or more specifically, a particular Islamist interpretation.
    And yet, you claim that we should ignore this element. How many of those example were non-Muslims? How many Christians, Druze, Yazidis, Zoroastrians, Jews from the region have been involved in religiously justified extremist attacks?

Your argument fails utterly.
    Again.

ReputationRep:
    they do, lmao
    Really? How do you know this?

Did you know that there are 1.6 billion Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, global warming is a far more existential threat to western civilisation. Islamic terror is brutal, harmful, and kills many of our citizens. But the worst ISIS attack on western soil only killed 130 people, that is a small number compared to the billions of us who are at risk because of climate change.
    ...killed ONLY 130 people. Please just get over yourself. You are getting rekt on this thread. Every argument you've made has been weak. And please do come at me for being an observer of this thread who has stated an opinion that opposes yours. Virtually no one supports your flawed statements.

Edit: Have some respect for the unfortunate people that are deceased as a result of the literal practice of your religion *it's in your scriptures if you didn't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    ...killed ONLY 130 people. Please just get over yourself. You are getting rekt on this thread. Every argument you've made has been weak. And please do come at me for being an observer of this thread who has stated an opinion that opposes yours. Virtually no one supports your flawed statements.
    I guess you missed the emboldened COMPARED word.

Smh

but at least 'my future hasn't been ruined'

ReputationRep:
    Because, as I've explained before, there is an Islamist militant group called ISIS which legitimises the hateful feelings of Muslims. .
    So the reason for the radicalisation of Muslims is because there are radicalised Muslims.

Circular logic much?

What radicalised the first radical Muslim? I guess that would have been Muhammad, so it was Allah that radicalised him, through the Quran.
    QED!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand where all of this argument is leading to?
    If we make you all happy and say that Islam is evil then what?
    Move all the muslims to some other country?
    Sorry - but do you really think concentrating 1.6billion people (growing rapidly btw - the most rapid religion growth out of all) will do much? unless you want to gas them all - I don't really understand what you anti-religion people are getting at in terms of and end goal.

ReputationRep:
    Ibut at least 'my future hasn't been ruined'
    Look. We all know that your "I got into the uni of my choice" is just ********, like everything else you say. It is entirely clear from your standard of reasoning and argument that you would struggle with even the most basic subjects at any kind of advanced level.

And no thanks, I don't want to go large with that.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you missed the emboldened COMPARED word.

Smh

but at least 'my future hasn't been ruined'
    Lmao :laugh:. Pathetic response. You never know what's going to happen in the future you terrorist condoner

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - but do you really think concentrating 1.6billion people (growing rapidly btw - the most rapid religion growth out of all) will do much? unless you want to gas them all - I don't really understand what you anti-religion people are getting at in terms of and end goal.
    I have a dream of a world without mass indoctrinating religions.

ReputationRep:
    Not familiar with the concept of "academic debate" then?

"Evil" implies some kind of agency, which Islam does not have. However, accepting that Islamic ideology contains much that is unacceptable is a reasonable position.
    Do you think that people should respond to Trump, Farage, etc with a "meh, so what?"

Sorry - but do you really think concentrating 1.6billion people will do much? unless you want to gas them all - I don't really understand what you anti-religion people are getting at in terms of and end goal.
    Dude just went full 'tard.

You could have just left it at the bold bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otah007)
    Source please? Chapter and verse? As well as the name of the translator (I assume you're not reading it in the original Arabic). I'm sick and tired of people repeating the same bull over and over again without any evidence. Oh, and before you reply to this with the first thing that comes up in a Google search, I can already predict which verse you're going to pick and I've already got my 'out of context' answer ready.
    Still waiting for your response to my response.

Difficult when you can't play the "context" card, isn't it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.