The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iano101)
    Nah for Jones Day they do the academic reference as a standard process between looking at app and then calling you for interview, it's not about mitigating circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair play to them. It must be a nightmare for them to manage that. Academic references can take a lifetime to get back and certain referees get highly peeved at having to write references for so many people, and b*tch about it like there's no tomorrow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It allows you to work 20 hours during term time, but you can work any hours outside of term time.

Vacation schemes are usually contracted at either 35, 37.5 or 40 hour weeks. Reality is your hours will be slightly longer than that, mainly down to social events.
    Thank you so much for this! This was really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

For those who've already sent off/working on the Jones day app, did you start off the cover letter as Dear Diana.... Or did you just dive straight into your answer (bearing in mind you have a 300 word limit)

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Hi All,

For those who've already sent off/working on the Jones day app, did you start off the cover letter as Dear Diana.... Or did you just dive straight into your answer (bearing in mind you have a 300 word limit)

Thanks in advance
    I wrote 'Dear Ms. Diana Spoudeas' - they do say where to address it, so you should in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaybone93)
    DLA PIPER, Squires, AG, KWM, Nabarro, Kennedys
    Which one did you get your TC in? Those are still huge firms I would say.

ReputationRep:
    When is everyone going to start their applications for vacation schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiUNI)
    When is everyone going to start their applications for vacation schemes?
    Probably a day before the deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

Im just wondering if you get offered the chance to apply for a training contract at the end of a vac scheme and say no (for example you may not be sure commercial law is right for you, want to look at other options etc) would this put you at a disadvantage if you then decided to apply for a training contract at that firm in say the following year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rend82)
    Hi all.

Im just wondering if you get offered the chance to apply for a training contract at the end of a vac scheme and say no (for example you may not be sure commercial law is right for you, want to look at other options etc) would this put you at a disadvantage if you then decided to apply for a training contract at that firm in say the following year?
    In my view potentially.

Your best bet would be to call grad rec and have a conversation with them about it. You were obviously good if you got on the vac scheme in the first place. The only things that will hold you back is

A. If they didn't like you on the scheme, then you will unlikely get a TC.

B. They may question your commitment to law and so may just reject your application.

You will need to make sure you can convince them that commercial law is truly for you and particularly that firm even more than you did before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I applied to Jones Day on 10th September and I still haven't heard from them. I see that there are some people on this thread who already have a response and even interviews. Is there anyone who hasn't heard from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legaleagle121)
    Hi All,
    I applied to Jones Day on 10th September and I still haven't heard from them. I see that there are some people on this thread who already have a response and even interviews. Is there anyone who hasn't heard from them?
    Chill - it's barely been a couple of weeks.

Last year I applied mid September and didn't hear till mid/late October. Less than a month is not much time at all.

A friend of mine who also applied to Jd last year had their app processed in around a week, so it really does vary and you just have to be patient!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interview with Jones Day! Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hodgey111)
    Their interview is very much a conversation trying to get to you know better.

Read up on your commercial awareness before it, go back over your original application and apart from that there's not a lot more you can do.

They like to throw slightly random questions at you e.g I had one last year asking me if I were prime minister for the day what would I do... so that they can see how you deal with things you haven't prepared for.

It was probably my favourite interview so just try to stay calm and it'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ashurst pfo, first one of the season I am guessing on this thread? good firm but I'm not too put out, they did seem to be one of the more stringent firms. hopefully they manage to sort themselves out and stem the partner exits. anyone else heard anything from ashurst/jones day/BLP etc?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grisham)
    Hey. When did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Early September a few days after applications opened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iano101)
    Their interview is very much a conversation trying to get to you know better.

Read up on your commercial awareness before it, go back over your original application and apart from that there's not a lot more you can do.

They like to throw slightly random questions at you e.g I had one last year asking me if I were prime minister for the day what would I do... so that they can see how you deal with things you haven't prepared for.

It was probably my favourite interview so just try to stay calm and it'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok will do. Thanks for the advice. What do you mean read up on your commercial awareness?

ReputationRep:
    Ok will do. Thanks for the advice. What do you mean read up on your commercial awareness?
    Have some understanding and opinion of what will be influencing both law firms and their clients at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

With regards to the generic "what recent news story has interested you and how might it affect the firm?" question is there any specific structure or type of news story that would be desired?

For instance would it have to include a client? a press release which names them? - sorry if it seems a silly question but I never know whether to go extremely specific or keep it quite broad and use topics or articles like Brexit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thornton123456)
    Hi guys,

With regards to the generic "what recent news story has interested you and how might it affect the firm?" question is there any specific structure or type of news story that would be desired?

For instance would it have to include a client? a press release which names them? - sorry if it seems a silly question but I never know whether to go extremely specific or keep it quite broad and use topics or articles like Brexit
    Doesn't have to include a client or a press release that names the firm.

Find something that genuinely interests you and talk about that. Just make sure it's fairly recent and that it is in a market/sector the firm does work in.

Brexit is too broad a topic to discuss in these type of questions. You can find a million and one more specific "stories" within Brexit though.

Structure:

- Why it interests you
    - Bit of detail of the story
    - Your opinion on how it may affect the firm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.