Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would your reaction be if your son came out as a transgender? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Maybe it's making you angry because you know it's the truth. That's my take, anyway.
    Are you aware that transgender people have gender dysphoria?

(Original post by GeorgeB16)
    Me, my gay friend, my transgender friend, we were all born this way and we know that we have known from a young age.

My transgender friend who naturally never wanted to play with Barbie but wanted Action Men, at an age when they didn't even know this sort of stuff was on TV, just proves that it is a completely natural thing! Oh my why can people not get their head around it, it's so simple!!!
    Who says girls should play with Barbie, and can't play with Action Men? What kind of backwards view is that? Just because a girl enjoys sensible things does not make her a boy.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'd make sure he was secure in his decision and then support him and ensure he had access to counselling/whatever before making any permanent decisions. Can't understand how you could react differently tbh.

ReputationRep:
    not bothered at all, I'd just see how I could accommodate them like what would they like to be called etc, help explaining to other family members and offering support
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Who says girls should play with Barbie, and can't play with Action Men? What kind of backwards view is that? Just because a girl enjoys sensible things does not make her a boy.
    I'm not dictating what they should and shouldn't play with, I'm just explaining that that is what it was like for her and that's how she found out...long before we were "brainwashed" by watching the likes of Eastenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmosandy)
    lol what ?
    In fairness although mostly tongue in cheek there is a lot of useless husband intelligent wife type comments in day to day life.

I worked retail before my current job, fair few women worked there. When I was around the till area doing things (didn't go on the till much, was mainly putting out stock and such) you'd get a lot of jokes from middle aged female customers towards the female staff members "well he's just a man he can't do anything right", "well he's a man what do you expect?" "you need a woman to sort it out!" etc etc, and I mean a lot, as in daily occurrence multiple times if I was around that area enough. Obviously it was all "hahaha" and I had to laugh along and be a good sport, but it did get irritating, especially when I was there to fix an error they'd made. Yet can you imagine a single utterance of the likes of "well she's just a woman...she's there to be pretty", even as a joke...yeah that's probably going to get you severely disciplined or cost you your job if it happened on multiple occasions

ReputationRep:
    The responses in this thread is so disheartening. I would expect better from today's generation. My heart goes out to the trans people.

It is the parent's responsibility to teach the child about the world, but also what they do is to love their child unconditionally.

Note: if you wouldn't support your child, even to go far to disown them or abuse them, I firmly believe you shouldn't have a child, as your parenting skills are so lacking of kindness and acceptance.

[I would be so pleased at the fact that my child came out to me as it takes a lot of effort, bravery and trust to do that. I would accept them regardless and support them. Although it is going to be pain trying to get used calling my child their sudden change of gender pronouns and possibly, name]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    In fairness although mostly tongue in cheek there is a lot of useless husband intelligent wife type comments in day to day life.

I worked retail before my current job, fair few women worked there. When I was around the till area doing things (didn't go on the till much, was mainly putting out stock and such) you'd get a lot of jokes from middle aged female customers towards the female staff members "well he's just a man he can't do anything right", "well he's a man what do you expect?" "you need a woman to sort it out!" etc etc, and I mean a lot, as in daily occurrence multiple times if I was around that area enough. Obviously it was all "hahaha" and I had to laugh along and be a good sport, but it did get irritating, especially when I was there to fix an error they'd made. Yet can you imagine a single utterance of the likes of "well she's just a woman...she's there to be pretty", even as a joke...yeah that's probably going to get you severely disciplined or cost you your job if it happened on multiple occasions
    Then don't except women to do all the cleaning/cooking because you don't want to as men and make the lower sex do it and drill into their heads that they should as women because you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Oh, and this is not for every man who doesn't think this way but the way you men have set up a society dedicated to women to be the responsible of everything - so you could be justifiably lazy. And now you hate it, people call you out/streotyping men, well you made it, so deal with it lool

I'm not dictating what they should and shouldn't play with, I'm just explaining that that is what it was like for her and that's how she found out...long before we were "brainwashed" by watching the likes of Eastenders.
    Now I'm confused; you refer to your transgender friend as "her", but I was under the impression that she is a female-to-male trans-person?

Me, my gay friend, my transgender friend, we were all born this way and we know that we have known from a young age.

My transgender friend who naturally never wanted to play with Barbie but wanted Action Men, at an age when they didn't even know this sort of stuff was on TV, just proves that it is a completely natural thing! Oh my why can people not get their head around it, it's so simple!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmosandy)
    Then don't except women to do all the cleaning/cooking because you don't want to as men and make the lower sex do it and drill into their heads that they should as women because you're too lazy to do it yourself.

Oh, and this is not for every man who doesn't think this way but the way you men have set up a society dedicated to women to be the responsible of everything - so you could be justifiably lazy. And now you hate it, people call you out/streotyping men, well you made it, so deal with it lool
    ah...sorry thought I was dealing with a sensible poster, my mistake.

"this is not for every man"..."but the way you men".....in the same sentence, then "deal with it"...wow, so really you're no different.

Fyi I cook as I enjoy it and my partner isn't skilled in that department...and I wash the pots afterwards. Though I'll freely admit I never iron, I cause more creases than before it was touched.

ReputationRep:
    surely being transgender is a mental illness, because if it was a biological thing (mutation etc) then it would have been stamped out by evolution as it is not beneficial to passing on genes as they don't reproduce?

ReputationRep:
    It's not up to me to decide what my child can or cannot identify as. As long as it makes them happy and they are not harming others, then who am I to judge? A parent's love is supposed to be unconditional - if I refused to love my child because they identified as trans, then that makes me a pretty sh*tty parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    a young kid wouldn't even know or care about what transgender is unless they're being brainwashed by the parents or the media
    yeah - brainwashing. Making people aware of severe emotional/mental/physical issues within themselves. how awful to try and be understanding and compassionate.

(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    choosing a career is different to saying i wanna wear a dress and have my p3nis chopped off
    Are you being facetious or just ignorant?

(Original post by Kyle1198)
    BUT the bit in bold - that's called victim blaming. By saying what you said, you're basically indirectly pre-empting and condoning the bullying which is never okay regardless of who/what someone is.
    Or just an understanding of how society works. Like it or not they are opening themselves up to a lot of bullying and worse. No it is not a transgenders fault but that does not mean it wont happen.

(Original post by ivybridge)
    No, the most loving thing to do is accept that your child is their own rationally autonomous being and that your religious drivel is your own beliefs, not your child's. If they make legally acceptable, non-harmful, and informed choices, then you cannot as a parent, not accept them. You need to accept them and love the child, regardless of your own qualms with those choices.

Makes me so mad even listening to you validate your points with religious nonsense. IT IS A BOOK CONSTRUCTED BY PRIESTS HUNDREDS OF YEARS AGO TO MANIPULATE THE POPULATION INTO FOLLOWING WHAT THE CHURCH WANTED THEM TO FOLLOW, AND TO CONSOLIDATE POWER. STOP. YOU HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS FIGURE LIVES ON A CLOUD. IT IS YOUR BELIEF. IT IS NOT FACT. THERE'S BARELY ANY BACKING FOR ANY OF IT. LITERALLY JUST STOP.
    Not all religious people are like that even those of the Abrahmmic faiths. Im celtic pagan (so we are very open about things like that anyway) my partner is a Methodist both of us are very strong advocates for equal rights for LGBT (she is also bisexual). I know if we have our own children we would be very open towards them no matter the issue.

ReputationRep:
    I would support them in any way I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    yeah - brainwashing. Making people aware of severe emotional/mental/physical issues within themselves. how awful to try and be understanding and compassionate.

Are you being facetious or just ignorant?

Or just an understanding of how society works. Like it or not they are opening themselves up to a lot of bullying and worse. No it is not a transgenders fault but that does not mean it wont happen.

Not all religious people are like that even those of the Abrahmmic faiths. Im celtic pagan (so we are very open about things like that anyway) my partner is a Methodist both of us are very strong advocates for equal rights for LGBT (she is also bisexual). I know if we have our own children we would be very open towards them no matter the issue.
    Cba to delete what doesn't apply to me.

I'm not saying transgenders won't get persecuted, he is absolutely right they are more likely to be bullied. I am saying the fact that they will is not a reason to be sceptical. You might as well say black people or gay people are 'opening' up themselves to bullying. That wording suggests victim blaming. We need to focus on reducing the persecution (and it's getting better, albeit not perfect) rather than get rid of an excuse for them to bully. People will persecute you for anything, so to say that having a certain characteristic will 'open' you up to persecution is a little insensitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    ah...sorry thought I was dealing with a sensible poster, my mistake.

"this is not for every man"..."but the way you men".....in the same sentence, then "deal with it"...wow, so really you're no different.

Fyi I cook as I enjoy it and my partner isn't skilled in that department...and I wash the pots afterwards. Though I'll freely admit I never iron, I cause more creases than before it was touched.
    who cleans the house and looks after the washing??

^ I mean men have created that stereotype because it's suited to them - they wanted to live carefree and make the women the sole responsible of the household - now men don't like it when they're being called lazy and not skilled? It's ridiculous. even if I wasn't a misogynistic man and liked to do cooking/cleaning I wouldn't blame women for deeming they're superior' because they think i'm unskilled, because I know my gender in time have created the stereotype because they wanted it.

It's not all men who think like this, some men actually protest against misogyny or sexism but when I mean ' but the way you men ' in a general i'm not talking about all men , i'm talking about men in a general term like ' white people have enslaved ' not saying all white people were slave owners, eh/
    Oh, and if you actually quote someone's post reeking with misogyny with ' well men always get picked on at work for being unskilled it's done as a joke but it's kinda annoying ' ' then you're part of same problem, jerk.

ReputationRep:
    Being honest, I would be very dissapointed. It's nothing personal, just how I would feel

ReputationRep:
    I would be absolutely horrified and make it my duty to dissuade them from making the biggest mistake of their lives. It's like a living horror film...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    "No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.
    I would nail him to my cross.. he must pay for his sins

ReputationRep:
    i'd probably hang myself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.