Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need Maths for A-Level Chemsitry? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is A-Level Maths important for A-Level Chemistry?
    It helps a lot
    31.58%
    It helps a small amount
    47.37%
    It isn't really necessary at all
    21.05%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katya_z)
    I did Chemistry to A2 and got an A, and I dropped maths at GCSE! Personally I found that the maths needed wasn't hard at all, there was no need to take A level to cope (btw I was on AQA)
    Which year did you take your exams? Was it recently?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    All the maths in AS Chemistry is alright, apart from Titration oh god! A2 Chemistry is for more maths based and although it is a fair bit of rearranging, it isn't to the standard of GCSE; a lot harder in fact
    Obviously a level is waaayyyy harder than GCSEs but I NEVER struggled with titration at GCSEs so how hard does that topic get. I've just enrolled at my sixth form and chose chemistry I was in no way advised to not take it despite getting a B ( I desperately want to do it though) and as for bio which I got a C they just put me down for 1 term of extra classes to help with a level bio Do you think I'll ever be able to survive Alevel chemistry with a B at gcse? I'm not taking (hate it so much) but did get an A GCSEs -Any chance is survival???
    I'm prepared to work really hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    There is not a thing in chemistry that require maths of a higher standard than GCSE. You'll be fine.
    And I'm hoping that even if there is, it'll be something I can easily learn anyway? Hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomSuffolk)
    And I'm hoping that even if there is, it'll be something I can easily learn anyway? Hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There isn't. Period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight2000)
    Obviously a level is waaayyyy harder than GCSEs but I NEVER struggled with titration at GCSEs so how hard does that topic get. I've just enrolled at my sixth form and chose chemistry I was in no way advised to not take it despite getting a B ( I desperately want to do it though) and as for bio which I got a C they just put me down for 1 term of extra classes to help with a level bio Do you think I'll ever be able to survive Alevel chemistry with a B at gcse? I'm not taking (hate it so much) but did get an A GCSEs -Any chance is survival???
    I'm prepared to work really hard
    To be honest it doesn't really matter what you get at GCSE. A lot of our work ethic changes at sixth form because we realise that University is only a few years away, meaning we work harder. I've only done AS at the moment but didn't do Further additional chem at GCSE. I heard its similar in some aspects but thats only at the start. The easy part in Chem is remembering the info, the relatively hard bit is understanding it. If you listen to your teacher and throughly understand everything in Chemistry then it becomes easy.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it doesn't really matter what you get at GCSE. A lot of our work ethic changes at sixth form because we realise that University is only a few years away, meaning we work harder. I've only done AS at the moment but didn't do Further additional chem at GCSE. I heard its similar in some aspects but thats only at the start. The easy part in Chem is remembering the info, the relatively hard bit is understanding it. If you listen to your teacher and throughly understand everything in Chemistry then it becomes easy.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum323)
    Honestly those questions aren't too bad. Logarithms are easy, you just haven't been taught how to use them yet.

Maths in chemistry gets quite difficult at A2, and having daily practice with maths is useful for it. If you work hard enough you'll do just fine, though.
    what are you doing currently? GCSE? A-level? At Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Quite unrelated, but how much work per week is normal for A-Levels? I'm not worried about the work at all, it's just people have told me various different things?

I've heard 4 hours per subject independent study, I've also heard 20 hours per week. I've heard people saying way more than this, like 30hours+

What seems about right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quite unrelated, but how much work per week is normal for A-Levels? I'm not worried about the work at all, it's just people have told me various different things?

I've heard 4 hours per subject independent study, I've also heard 20 hours per week. I've heard people saying way more than this, like 30hours+

What seems about right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I mainly only did any homework given and then went over any topics I struggled as well as writing up all my notes again after lesson and managed to get 3As and a B in my AS results.

So basically, more work than GCSEs but not so much that you don't have any time to yourself.

ReputationRep:

What seems about right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Treat it like a full time job (including hours in lessons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Treat it like a full time job (including hours in lessons).
    So almost like a 9-5 everyday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So almost like a 9-5 everyday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, somewhere between 35-40 hours a week including lessons is a good place to be.

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths if you are able

ReputationRep:
    Which year did you take your exams? Was it recently?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I took them this year, just got my results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katya_z)
    I took them this year, just got my results
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah, somewhere between 35-40 hours a week including lessons is a good place to be.
    That doesn't sound TOO bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound TOO bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not. Just work a decent amount consistently and you wont have to work crazy hours close to exams.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know what to do, people are telling me different things

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know what to do, people are telling me different things
    The main thing is to chill out.

Do all the work you're set, read the textbook, and do past papers in preparation for exams.

If you do that, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    The main thing is to chill out.

Do all the work you're set, read the textbook, and do past papers in preparation for exams.

If you do that, you'll be fine.
    I know, but it's just the whole maths thing. I really want to do medicine so I need AAA at the end. Just worried that halfway through I'll realise that I've made a fatal error by not taking maths and do badly in chemistry.

Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.