Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad_infinitum87)
    Right, I'll clarify what I said. From what I have observed, Britain is miles ahead of America in terms of basic human rights.

I was also beaten up and laughed at due to my English accent (what a wonderful thing to experience on a new continent, far away from home, at age 10!), and my family was looked down on for being mixed race. I have never EVER been questioned about my racial identity in the UK, in fact it's so common here that I'm one of a multitude, and I slipped right in. I'm sorry, but I hate how everyone is compartmentalised in the States. On forms, one is forced to identify as either black, white, or asian. There is no option whatsoever for the multiracial, and my parents were HASSLED when they refused to sign the form. The Pledge of Allegiance is BRAINWASHING, and when I refused to say it, I was given a detention. On one occasion, I was sent out of the class for correctly stating that Greenland belongs to Denmark. My teacher insisted it was American territory, and made me stand in the hallway for speaking my mind.
    I'm a bit shocked by your bad experience in the states! You must have just gotten stuck with a freak fanatical teacher but I assure you while Americans are proud we're not all brainwashed and despotic. The fact that you got beaten up for having an english accent shocks me the most. In America having a British accent will undoubtedly get you laid. (Granted you were only ten so that's not really applicable, but I'm still surprised that the other children weren't interested in you in a friendly/curious way).

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'll clarify what I said. From what I have observed, Britain is miles ahead of America in terms of basic human rights.

I guess I'm slightly biased because of the god awful time I had in the States. My father died because the medical treatment he received was inadequate. Yes, we had Medical insurance up to our eyeballs, but it remains a fact that had he been treated in Europe, he would have survived. I was also beaten up and laughed at due to my English accent (what a wonderful thing to experience on a new continent, far away from home, at age 10!), and my family was looked down on for being mixed race. I have never EVER been questioned about my racial identity in the UK, in fact it's so common here that I'm one of a multitude, and I slipped right in. I'm sorry, but I hate how everyone is compartmentalised in the States. On forms, one is forced to identify as either black, white, or asian. There is no option whatsoever for the multiracial, and my parents were HASSLED when they refused to sign the form. The Pledge of Allegiance is BRAINWASHING, and when I refused to say it, I was given a detention. On one occasion, I was sent out of the class for correctly stating that Greenland belongs to Denmark. My teacher insisted it was American territory, and made me stand in the hallway for speaking my mind.

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I certainly don't despise America in any way, shape, or form (in fact my best friend is from Chicago), but I believe very strongly that Britain is a more forward looking country. Trust me, I can look objectively as well, because I'm not even an English national.

-Becs

Thats ****ing horrible

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my screen name is danni_bell83 and I'm from Australia, and in terms of whether USA or UK is better when it comes to looking for information for biology/psychology/sociology I say UK is better!

I like to talk lots to people on this forum who are from UK, they are cool, luv from Danni x

P.S. I also like talking to different people, and people of other nationalities too, like Canada and stuff

ReputationRep:
    The NHS while far from flawless is superior to the healthcare system in the US. The monopoly that insurance and pharmaceutical companies have on the healthcare industry is frightening. The cost of care, supplies and medicine is absurd. The healthcare industry is run according to standards set by the insurance companies--meaning a hospital will charge as much as an insurance company will pay. The cost of care varies according to what the patient's insurance will pay for. Sometimes certain care is not given if it is not covered by insurance and the patient does not agree to pay for it themselves. An insurance company can drop you if you are too risky or can refuse to cover certain things and legitimize it with bureaucratic jargon. As you age your insurance and medicine costs become increasingly more expensive.

Out of pocket expense for the uninsured is skyrocketing because pharmaceutical companies can charge whatever they want. If you can afford good insurance in the US you are fine and well-taken care of. You can recieve care whenever you need it with no waiting. If you are very poor you can recieve state healthcare which is pretty good but you have to qualify for it. Lower middle class people with no insurance are screwed. Having no insurance and a major accident/illness will ruin you financially, though care will be provided for you regardless.

Of course the privatization of the healthcare industry increases the competition which leads to new technologies and drugs more quickly because it's for profit. A capitalistic healthcare system has led the US to be one of the most medically advanced countries in the world. It makes me sick though the way it's run and it's starting to become a major issue here.

:eek: I'm admitting there's something wrong with my country. What a bad American I am! Something went wrong with the brainwashing indoctrinated in me from watching TV and when I said the Pledge of Allegiance in school! :eek: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiesado)
    I'm a bit shocked by your bad experience in the states! You must have just gotten stuck with a freak fanatical teacher but I assure you while Americans are proud we're not all brainwashed and despotic. The fact that you got beaten up for having an english accent shocks me the most. In America having a British accent will undoubtedly get you laid. (Granted you were only ten so that's not really applicable, but I'm still surprised that the other children weren't interested in you in a friendly/curious way).
    My teacher was definitely a freak :rolleyes: She used to threaten spankings and paddlings if we didn't do as we were told LOL. I guess New Jersey wasn't the place to go :rolleyes:

I apologise for being so critical, and some things I said were, I admit, close-minded of me. What bothers me though, is the constant racial tension, and how black people are portrayed in my media, speaking 'Like dis mutha ****a'. They are ALWAYS oppressed (I can't count the amount of times I've heard 'It's cuz I'm black, ain't it?!') , from the Deep South, and in possession of an IQ of about 25. If you're mixed race, you're not 'black enough' or 'white enough'. Ok ok, I'll shut up about this now :rolleyes:

Once again, it is not my intention to actually offend anyone, but this IS the debating forum

-Becs

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for being so critical, and some things I said were, I admit, close-minded of me. What bothers me though, is the constant racial tension, and how black people are portrayed in my media, speaking 'Like dis mutha ****a'. They are ALWAYS oppressed (I can't count the amount of times I've heard 'It's cuz I'm black, ain't it?!') , from the Deep South, and in possession of an IQ of about 25. If you're mixed race, you're not 'black enough' or 'white enough'.
    I absolutely agree that there is racial tension in America. There is racial tension in Britain as well. I think in Britain people are just more private about it and the media is more focused on being pc. In America people are more outspoken about racism, not just arguing that it's wrong, but debating what it means and where it comes from. It almost has a bit of legitimacy that is deeply rooted in the opposing groups and it comes from blacks and whites. I agree that in the media blacks are overwhelmingly stereotyped. In regards to being "black enough" or "white enough" I think it stems from our history of segregation when how you were treated and what you could expect in life had a lot to do with how black or white you were. This doesn't exist in Britain. The blacks in Britain were never slaves and while there was racism there wasn't a policy of segregation to the extent that it was implemented here. We're still recovering from that and we're definitely aware that it's there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    I love living in the UK

I love visiting the USA
    Same here.

I definitely wouldn't mind living in New York City, though. Wonderful town.... even if English accents aren't so special there (but I can always take the odd trip to the west ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Dont be so ridiculously pedantic. Different nationalities do have different traits and what hes said (if gained from personal experience) is quite legitimate.
    Sorry? She made a statement, all i was trying to do is point out that saying brits are more openminded is rather silly, there are obviously openminded americans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Sorry? She made a statement, all i was trying to do is point out that saying brits are more openminded is rather silly, there are obviously openminded americans.
    It was a general statement and obviously so. Of course she wasnt saying ALL americans are this or that or whatever which is why your response was needless and irritatingly pedantic. Different nationalities do have different traits, characteristics and stereotypes and thus you CAN make a very general judgement about a people as a whole (not each individually) on this. She was not saying 'i know every american i meet will be X,Y,Z because theyre american' which would have been the only thing to necessitate your response of 'how can you judge us all when you havent met us all?'

ReputationRep:
    It was a general statement and obviously so. Of course she wasnt saying ALL americans are this or that or whatever which is why your response was needless and irritatingly pedantic. Different nationalities do have different traits, characteristics and stereotypes and thus you CAN make a very general judgement about a people as a whole (not each individually) on this. She was not saying 'i know every american i meet will be X,Y,Z because theyre american' which would have been the only thing to necessitate your response of 'how can you judge us all when you havent met us all?'
    And what NDGAARONDI pointed out wasnt overly pedantic? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    And what NDGAARONDI pointed out wasnt overly pedantic? :rolleyes:
    I reserve the right to hypocrisy when and where and how i please . (anyway it wasnt overly pedantic, what had been said was no more correct than stating 'i have californian nationality')

ReputationRep:
    I reserve the right to hypocrisy when and where and how i please . (anyway it wasnt overly pedantic, what had been said was no more correct than stating 'i have californian nationality')
    Then i reserve the right to be pedantic once and a while

ReputationRep:
    Are there any British people here willing to concede there are good things about America?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Are there any British people here willing to concede there are good things about America?? :confused:
    Of course there are.

ReputationRep:
    lol have been wondering the same for quite a while. It's obvious there a couple but...

ReputationRep:
    i convinced myself a while back that its a one woman team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i convinced myself a while back that its a one woman team.
    I always took you as playing for the 'Theres nothing wrong with America' team .

ReputationRep:
    There are some great things about America. In many many ways it is a wonderful country and place to call home.

But let's not get too star struck about it either!

ReputationRep:
    I think that the pledge of aligence is simple mass scale brain washing, straight up. Teaching children to abide by the flag is not such a bad thing on its own merits, however what this does to the child is to make them subjective on all matter concerning issues which will confront anything opposing the values which America stands for, which has clearly lead to people such as Bill O'Rielly!

I dated an American girl for 2 years and I've got to say her family were great, but somewhat different. Obviously they were American and everywhere's not like England but what I mean is that they have almost no cynisism, or even questioning sense about them until there's a problem right in their face.
    (Perhaps this was just them). The sense I get from our media and people I know who have visited America a couple of times is that their are two types of people in America, typically of course. There are people who are clued up, who know much about many things and are able to make rational comments, and there are people who are simply unplugged, have no concept of anything outside of theire realm of existence and no comprehension of anything other than "Corporate = Good". Obviously this is not true for every American.

I often question what it is about being an American which makes them the way thay are? And the answer is simple, the society which has been created is down to extremes of both paranoia and togetherness. the sense of togetherness for all of the people who made it our of thier countries into the new land, and the sense of not wanting to lose it, having paranoia that someone will come over and take it back from them.

American culture is hard to describe as the country is so diverse. Its like saying, why do all Europeans "X" or "Y"? The place is massive.

As far as politics goes , thats a ****ed up situation right now. The corporate hand is soo deep in the pockets it's past the knee and scratching the shins.

It is at a complete contrast to the original beliefs of the founding fathers, where all men were equal, a democracy of the people, for the people, by the people.

Look at the asendence in importance for Funding. No matter who wins this time, its a blue blood who wins. So congratulations to the Masons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acombfosho)
    ......that someone will come over and take it back from them.
    lines like this always amuse me.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.