Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Italy: 10,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean in 48 hours Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelstresss)
    :troll: confirmed

goodbye, should I block you too?
    That was then, this is now.

Oh, you're one of those people, who block people they don't like. It's not your fault, though. It's a generation of bubble wrapped children which has led to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    That was then, this is now.

Oh your one of those people, who block people they don't like. It's not your fault, though. It's a generation of bubble wrapped children which has led to this.
    Actually he tells people he's blocked them then replies to their posts for days afterwards....

ReputationRep:
    With the best will in the world you can't maintain a cohesive society with sustained immigration at these levels from the third world. I'm not in the let them drown camp, but not the head in the sand one either. I'm not against the county taking in those that are desperate but there needs to be a manageable limit and proper vetting due to the terrorism threat.

My opinion is to increase (and strictly supervise) foreign aid to try and deal with the root cause(which I know is equally unpalatable for a lot of people).

Nothing will change while Libya is ****ed so Europe needs to do everything they can to un**** it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Brizio)
    Oh my God.
    I'm interested in the topic as I'm Italian myself, but I couldn't make it past the first page. I didn't expect so much racism in so little space HERE, I'm used to see it on fascist pages, but I thought I'd find at least people who received an education.
    You're wishing death for billions of people because you don't want them to touch you! You hope they die because otherwise you may not be able to afford to go on holiday as much as you do now.
    I realize there must be some limit to migrations, but what you're writing here is the very reason why ISIS exists. If we (as the western world) keep on doing what we like with other people lives, letting them die at our front door or handing them to Turkey so Erdogan can kill them in our name, we're no different from ISIS. Actually, we're much worse, as we're killing many more than a few hundreds innocent lives every five or six months.
    I am really intrigued where you got this "billions" from, even if we take the entire population of Africa and the Middle East you're barely half way to billions. And the funniest thing about this all is the EU's policy on the Mediteranean migrant crisis has actually killed MORE people than the conflicts they're using as an excuse to try to move to Northern and Western Europe. In fact, since the beginning of 2014 over TEN THOUSAND have drowned in the Med due to the policy, in the same time the total dead in Lybia is not even half of that, and the civilian fatalities, well, lower still.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are suggesting things like that, or simply dumping them in Libya.

And these refugees are integrating fine, its just the critics of this immigration like to focus their spotlight on the tiny handful which aren't integrating to promote their hateful agenda. You get many many many many more rapes, stabbings and incidents committed by the native population, but the ones done in relation to the migrant crisis gain headlines because the racist idiots in a country love to buy newspapers which blame their petty problems on foreigners, so they publish about these for £££. In reality, they are causing fewer problems than locals.
    think how similar Sweden is prove you are wrong .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brizio)
    what you're writing here is the very reason why ISIS exists. If we (as the western world) keep on doing what we like with other people lives, letting them die at our front door or handing them to Turkey so Erdogan can kill them in our name, we're no different from ISIS. Actually, we're much worse, as we're killing many more than a few hundreds innocent lives every five or six months.
    this is far too simplistic and deeply wrong
    it is wrong to think that "we" or "Europe" or "the West" is ultimately responsible for whatever happens in the world. Sure, we have influence, but ultimately it's the people themselves who are directly responsible for their civil wars and massacres, their corrupt and inefficient ruling classes, their economic and political failures. Our responsibility (where it exists, and it does existin some cases) is only an indirect responsibility : in the meantime, we are directly saving thousands of people from drowning

Most people drowning in the Mediterranean are not political refugees, but economic migrants (mostly from Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Mali etc) who are looking for a better life. An understandable desire, but it's not like they have some sort of inherent right to settle wherever they wish : on the contrary, States have a right to control immigration (as well as the status of asylum seekers)

It is a naive platitude, favoured by the "regressive left", to fork out appalling nonsense like "we are worse than ISIS" , "it's all of our fault" etc etc

If anything, it's by our wishy-washy, ambiguous attitude that we are encouraging more people to attempt dangerous trips and - in that sense - we do have some responsibility for the drownings : we should send out much clearer messages, stressing how economic migrants are, as a general rule, not desired and will be repatriated. And then, we should (whenever feasible) actually repatriate them

cerca di guardarti attorno un po' di più (try looking around a bit more)

best

ReputationRep:
    People like stability. As long as the middle east continues becoming destablised because of developed nations addiction to oil and lack of effort developing alternatives, the refugee and migration problem will continue. As long as a country or continent is unstable, the religious problem will also remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterJack)
    People like stability. As long as the middle east continues becoming destablised because of developed nations addiction to oil and lack of effort developing alternatives, the refugee and migration problem will continue. As long as a country or continent is unstable, the religious problem will also remain.
    Are you kidding? What do you think will happen when these countries' oil bonanza has ended due to the advanced countries' development of alternatives (or when the oil has gone)? How stable do you think they will be then? Will it be the west's fault that their governments cannot provide for them after frittering the oil away in corruption, desert ski centres and skyscrapers? Will it be the west's fault they are still buried in the seventh century?

ReputationRep:
    The Quran doesn't command people to be pedophiles,
    it's quite obviously about Muhammad's example authorising pedophilia, not about commanding it
    his role model behaviour is obviously the other things he achieved in his life.
    this is your personal interpretation, based on what ?
    Not to mention the fact that many Muslims acknowledge this and evidently don't go around marrying underage people.
    except for those who do, and feel they are doing something which is good and commendable, perfectly in line with Muhammad's example

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.