Hong Kong/ Viet
Original post by 0to100
Me mum is English, dad is Scottish :u:

:medieval::viking:

Father is a Sikh [with a background mixed of Pakistani & Turkish]

Mother is White/English

That makes me a mixed heritage British Sikh

:u:
Mother's side English, Father's side Catholic Irish, what can I say, I'm old school :cool:
Nigerian/British :smile:
im either

3/4 english 1/4 jamacian

1/2 english 1/2 american

depends who my dad is
I have duel nationality - British and French :smile:
Reply 166
Pole
English-Indian xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm British born & raised :hat: but my dad is Lebanese and my mum's from Hong kong
British/Guyanese
Original post by Saba XD
Is nationality where a person is born? Or where they're orginally from? I'm confused.

Nationality has to do with legality. If a nation counts you as a national, then you have that country's nationality. Having a country's nationality usually means you have rights such as a passport from that country. But that's not necessarily true.

A British person born in England without nationality of India is not Indian by nationality despite an Indian background.
Original post by Freaky.certified
Your nationality is your race.

Completely wrong. Nationality, as the term suggests, has to do with the nation.

When you go to a foreign country and fill in the immigration form, in the nationality box you don't say "white". You say basically where your passport is from.
Original post by 0to100
Hehe. Nationality like the countries/nations/isles of your background/parents if you're an immigrant.So nationality as in English, Irish, Pakistani, Chinese...

Not really. It's not necessarily a background but only about your relationship with certain nations. If you are Chinese, you are a Chinese national, which usually means you have rights such as having a Chinese passport; but you don't have to be ethnically Chinese and you don't have to ever been to China.

If you're an immigrant, it is not necessarily the case that you can have a non-British nationality. A Chinese person turning British will have their Chinese nationality revoked because China does not allow for dual citizenship/nationality.

It's arguable whether
Original post by 0to100
Nationality is nation like England, India...

It's debatable whether English is a nationality. Since it's considered a "nation" it should be, but since it doesn't issue its own passport no-one would say "English" when asked about nationality on a form because they would mean nothing legally speaking.
Original post by 0to100
Nationality is the country you were born and raised but people like to rep their parent's nation too if they differ

Wrong on nationality. That is usually the case but not always.

For example, Taiwan (Republic of China) claims all of Greater China as its territory and legally counts every permanent resident in the region a national of Republic of China (Taiwanese/Chinese). This is despite the fact that most people in the region will not have ever been to Taiwan. But technically, as long as a nation counts you as a nationality, that is a nationality of yours.

People born and registered for the nationality before 1997 in Hong Kong are British nationals. China, at the same time, counts them as Chinese nationals/citizens. This means they are British and Chinese nationals. They don't have to ever been to the UK or China, let alone being born-and-raised in either country.
Original post by Princepieman
ethnicity is the proper categorisation based on geographic area

Wrong.

Ethnicity can be formed with any cultural root, including by language or religion. Does not have to be based on geographical area - one notable example is the ethnic group "Jewish".
Northern Irish (British) and Irish - Duel Citizenship
Reply 172
Born UK, ethnically Iraqi.
Original post by Saba XD
So, if a person is born in England but parents are from Pakistan. That makes their nationality, Pakistani?

Only if Pakistan the country considers this person a national of the country. Otherwise, no.

[QUOTE="Freaky.certified;67549094"]
Original post by 0to100
I bet you are. So what part of India are you or your folks from?The West part; Mumbai.I was not born in India, but London, UK.My parents were born scattered around the place.I don't know why, but I'm an Indian.

Your nationality can only be Indian if India the country considers you a national of their country. Otherwise, no.
Original post by Athena64
I'm a U.S. citizen and lived there for five years but I'm the UK now and have been for ten or so years.That being said I really dunno what nationality I am. I don't feel at home in the UK because people love to make fun of me for my accent and I'm not familiar enough with the U.S. because I've been gone for so long - so I'm kinda alienated when I go there because I'm not familiar with the culture e.g. freshman, sophomores etc. What does it mean?!

Nationality has absolutely nothing to do with accent, identity, culture, or length of residency. Your nationality is American going by what you said and definitely not British.
Original post by Abby3112
I'm mostly British (not very exciting family haha) though my great grandfather was from Denmark I believe

Impossible. Your nationality can't be "mostly British". You either are British or you are not; you either are Danish or you are not. You can be both and you can potentially be neither, but there's no in between.
Original post by donutaud15
Still trying to figure that one out

Unless you are a stateless refugee how can you still be figuring that out?

If you are a national of a certain country, that is your nationality. If you don't know what your nationality is, then you are a stateless person and would have no civil right anywhere in the world except to apply for asylum.
Original post by animeamanda1412
dad's arabmum's arabme's british

Arab is not a nationality because it is not a nation.
Original post by sfaraj
british, iraqi, turkish (wish i was more. maybe one day i'll do an ancestery test but £80? nahh)

You can't find out your nationality with an ancestry test. Nationality has nothing to do with ancestry.
Original post by donutaud15
Both and I wouldn't describe myself as Filipina. Best explain it I guess. Grandma is half Chinese and half Filipina with Italian ancestry. Grandad is half Spanish and half Filipino. So mum is a mixed of all of the above and therefore I'm half all that and the other half is Indian cos of my Dad. That's why I could never describe my nationality and I usually just go with my passport which is Italian.

In this case your nationality Italian. Everything else is irrelevant.
Original post by shawtyb
im either

3/4 english 1/4 jamacian

1/2 english 1/2 american

depends who my dad is

Wrong. You are either a national of a certain nation or you are not. You can't possible if half American.

Original post by xnox
Born UK, ethnically Iraqi.

Nationality is not ethnicity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 174
[QUOTE="Gun;67579510" Little="Little" Toy="Toy"]Only if Pakistan the country considers this person a national of the country. Otherwise, no.

Original post by Freaky.certified

Your nationality can only be Indian if India the country considers you a national of their country. Otherwise, no.

Nationality has absolutely nothing to do with accent, identity, culture, or length of residency. Your nationality is American going by what you said and definitely not British.

Impossible. Your nationality can't be "mostly British". You either are British or you are not; you either are Danish or you are not. You can be both and you can potentially be neither, but there's no in between.

Unless you are a stateless refugee how can you still be figuring that out?

If you are a national of a certain country, that is your nationality. If you don't know what your nationality is, then you are a stateless person and would have no civil right anywhere in the world except to apply for asylum.

Arab is not a nationality because it is not a nation.

You can't find out your nationality with an ancestry test. Nationality has nothing to do with ancestry.

In this case your nationality Italian. Everything else is irrelevant.

Wrong. You are either a national of a certain nation or you are not. You can't possible if half American.

Nationality is not ethnicity.

Bloody hell do you have a job, or a life? Why did you spend so much time correcting teenagers on the internet?
And no, I am not wrong, because ethnically I am Iraqi, and I was born in the UK hence my British nationality. I was raised in a Iraqi culture environment and didn't even learn English until I was 5.
Original post by xnox

Bloody hell do you have a job, or a life? Why did you spend so much time correcting teenagers on the internet?
And no, I am not wrong, because ethnically I am Iraqi, and I was born in the UK hence my British nationality. I was raised in a Iraqi culture environment and didn't even learn English until I was 5.

Yes. My job is to correct teenagers. And as far as I can tell I spent only a few minutes doing this, if your life is so hectic you can't even spare a few minutes to do something then you are the one who doesn't have a life.

The Iraqi cultural environment or language has absolutely nothing to do with your nationality.
Reply 176
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Yes. My job is to correct teenagers. And as far as I can tell I spent only a few minutes doing this, if your life is so hectic you can't even spare a few minutes to do something then you are the one who doesn't have a life.

The Iraqi cultural environment or language has absolutely nothing to do with your nationality.

ok so you're telling me >someone with better things to do than argue on the internet (oh, the irony) doesn't have a life? Interesting observation.
but i digress, the person who wrote it was obviously flipping confused when they wrote the question and should've asked for ethnicity, as if they were going to receive any other nationality other than british. on a british student room forum. Que?

Regardless, I mentioned my ethnicity and nationality rightly so and you can't correct me for going off on a tangent.
Original post by xnox
ok so you're telling me >someone with better things to do than argue on the internet (oh, the irony) doesn't have a life? Interesting observation.

If you think working all the time with literally no time to even do anything else is a life, then I weep for you.

Luckily you seem to be just a teenager so it hasn't happened yet.
Reply 178
also

>Posts: 15,723

English :-)

Latest