Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himtiaz)
    Do you think S2 or D1 is easier?
    I haven't done S2 as I am only in year 12 and am doing C1, C2, S1, D1, M1 and FP1. Will be doing S2 next year but I'd probs say D1 is easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    I haven't done S2 as I am only in year 12 and am doing C1, C2, S1, D1, M1 and FP1. Will be doing S2 next year but I'd probs say D1 is easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What other subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chittesh14)
    I am not qualified to give advice on getting to Oxford, but it doesn't mean I can't give advice? It's my opinion, it may be true or not but I say stuff according to what I read.

I know he is a nice guy, maybe you're not. Where have I tried to diminish him or bring him down? I've actually said that he can do it, I want him to.
    Stop clogging the forum with your ****, Some of us actually want to see when he has updated what he's doing. Being the whole point of the post.

ReputationRep:
    Day 16
    Further Maths
    We've completed Matrices in class (I completed it at home) and we're going to begin series soon (which I have already completed at home). I personally will continue my MAT preparation!
    FP1 Remaining: Proof By Induction
    S2 Remaining:
    M2 Remaining: Work Energy Power, Impulse

Physics
    Apparently, we miraculously completed Further Mechanics and have begun Thermal Physics. We missed a section of the specification (or we briefly went over it) which sucks because I'll have to learn this in my own time, which in case you didn't know already, isn't a long time. Either way we've begun Thermal Physics. I plan on making some notes on Further Mechanics tonight in time for my test next week! I intend to do practice questions tomorrow.
    Remaining:
    Thermal Physics
    Fields
    Gravitational Fields
    Electric Fields
    Capacitance
    Magnetic Fields
    Radioactivity
    Astrophysics
    MAT
    This is the big update. I scored 67/100 on the 2011 MAT paper! I don't know if it was me marking generously (I hope I didn't) but according to my calculations and the Oxford website, that's about 3/4 marks away from the average mark of a successful applicant! I gained most of my marks from Question 6 (logic) and question 7 (more logic) and I lost 12 marks on the first question unfortunately. I'm sure if I got even one of those correct, I'd be in a better position! I'm going to attempt the 2012 Paper tonight and hopefully score 70! Maybe I fluked the 2011 paper but hopefully this will show it! (although I didn't fully time the 2011 one, I probably went a bit overboard in terms of timing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    MAT
    This is the big update. I scored 67/100 on the 2011 MAT paper! I don't know if it was me marking generously (I hope I didn't) but according to my calculations and the Oxford website, that's about 3/4 marks away from the average mark of a successful applicant! I gained most of my marks from Question 6 (logic) and question 7 (more logic) and I lost 12 marks on the first question unfortunately. I'm sure if I got even one of those correct, I'd be in a better position! I'm going to attempt the 2012 Paper tonight and hopefully score 70! Maybe I fluked the 2011 paper but hopefully this will show it! (although I didn't fully time the 2011 one, I probably went a bit overboard in terms of timing)
    Congrats fam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoDang)
    Stop clogging the forum with your ****, Some of us actually want to see when he has updated what he's doing. Being the whole point of the post.
    If you say so lol... don't read it then, so sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    Congrats fam!
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Day 17
    General Update + Daily Tip
    I'm not sure why, but I get a LOT of requests for tips via messaging and posts on this thread. I haven't yet achieved any of my grades so I guess its probably not the best idea to ask me xD. But what I've decided to do is to give little tips in every post!
    So the tip for today is (as simple as it gets):

Stay Organised : As simple as it sounds, it is absolutely crucial to stay organised in your A-level year(s). So I know different people have different ways of organising themselves but here's how I do it.
    I carry a small standard sized folder to college and I have dividers which allow me to separate each subject. I then attend my lessons (lots of lessons) and I insert any handouts into my folder (usually there's a holepuncher in class but I have a polly pocket or plastic wallet to keep any loose papers inside). At home, I have a large lever arch folder for each subject. Make sure you STORE YOUR NOTES FROM YOUR FIRST YEAR SO THAT YOU CAN USE THEM IN YOUR SECOND YEAR and for your first year exams. I am in my second year, I haven't yet achieved the grades I want but I have my notes and I intend to use them!

Daily Update

MAT
    I'm working on MAT 2012. So far I've already somehow managed to get 74 marks and I still have question 7 to do.... I don't know if 2012 was just an easy paper or I'm marking myself too nicely but I've got good marks
    So far:
    Question 1: 36/40
    Question 2: 9/15 (didn't finish on time + i wouldn't have got the last part anyways)
    Question 5: 14/15 (almost nailed this except for the very last part of the last question)
    Question 6: 15/15 (nailed this one - i love question 6)
    Question 7: 12/15
    Total so far: 86/100 - average score amongst all applicants 52.1, amongst shortlisted applicants 63, amongst successful applicants 68.2

I think this is just a too good to be true tbh... my performance will probably drop in the next paper.
    I need to work on my timing though... I did question 1 a lot faster (40 minutes). Question 2 I ran out of time. Question 5 I spent too long on (50 mintues), question 6 I did in about 40 minutes. - that leaves me with 20 minutes to do question 7.

ReputationRep:
    Nice thread, I'm a first year mathmo at St Catz this year so please drop me a message if you (or anyone else) have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help

edit: Should probably add that I mean St Catz, Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    Nice thread, I'm a first year mathmo at St Catz this year so please drop me a message if you (or anyone else) have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help

edit: Should probably add that I mean St Catz, Oxford
    Thank you! How much do you think I should be aiming for on the MAT? Do you have any tips for the exam and preparing for it?

ReputationRep:
    Well done !! How much do u revise per day ?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, excellent!
    Considering that 8 hours a week is needed per subject to get good grades, you would need around 32 hours plus (depending on you EPQ)
    That a 1 day and 1/3...
    Considering you have 5 FULL school days, which is roughly 8 hours, total of 40.
    32+40=72 = 3 FULL days of education.
    You still have another 4 days.
    You should, theoretically get your wanted grades if you are willing.
    Do sports or procrastinate, might help you study better.

ReputationRep:
    Day 19
    Just MAT preparation... just MAT.
    I have a Physics test next week though, so I'm going to spend Sunday evening revising for that. Aside from this I'm just going to coast through it. MAT is incoming and that's what I want to concentrate on. only 23 days left! I was busy running errands yesterday so I got practically nothing done except I submitted my final assignment for Computer Science. This means I get respite until Christmas from CompSci! (I plan on taking this month off from Computer Science to concentrate on MAT) Physics is not too strenuous at all at the minute so I'm not too fussed about it, I just need to keep up with the workload. Same with Maths. Right now its all about MAT...

So for MAT prep I'm going to be working through some crucial topics. They're exceptionally long but I'm making notes on them, ensuring I understand them. What I've noticed is that the last part of Question 2 and 5 is often worth around 5 to 6 marks. That's a lot of marks and this is where I lose out. Hence I am trying to ensure I secure these marks!

I want to ensure I have covered all my mistakes and these topics before my next MAT paper which will be the 2013 paper. I have 24 days left till my MAT exam... scary stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SNK0)
    Wow, excellent!
    Considering that 8 hours a week is needed per subject to get good grades, you would need around 32 hours plus (depending on you EPQ)
    That a 1 day and 1/3...
    Considering you have 5 FULL school days, which is roughly 8 hours, total of 40.
    32+40=72 = 3 FULL days of education.
    You still have another 4 days.
    You should, theoretically get your wanted grades if you are willing.
    Do sports or procrastinate, might help you study better.

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    Well done !! How much do u revise per day ?

Hi,
    I get home about 5 o clock, spend about an hour eating/doing errands. Then I start working around 6 o clock till about 9:30 so 3 and a half hours per week day. So thats about 17.5 hours per school week (5 days). Then I work for about a good 6 hours on Saturday and on Sunday. That's almost 30 hours per week (29.5) of revision (excluding school time). How much of that is procastination depends on my level of motivation xD. Also I need to factor in MAT preparation...so theoretically I should be working harder.
    EDIT: I don't time how much I work... I just work whenever I can.

ReputationRep:
    What other subjects are you taking?
    Im doing bio and chem wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im doing bio and chem wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bio chem phys math

ReputationRep:
    Bio chem phys math
    Oh ok! What do you want to do at uni?
    I want to go and read maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok! What do you want to do at uni?
    I want to go and read maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm thinking dentistry or medicine. Which uni do you want to go to?

ReputationRep:
    Day 17
    General Update + Daily Tip
    I'm not sure why, but I get a LOT of requests for tips via messaging and posts on this thread. I haven't yet achieved any of my grades so I guess its probably not the best idea to ask me xD. But what I've decided to do is to give little tips in every post!
    So the tip for today is (as simple as it gets):

Stay Organised : As simple as it sounds, it is absolutely crucial to stay organised in your A-level year(s). So I know different people have different ways of organising themselves but here's how I do it.
    I carry a small standard sized folder to college and I have dividers which allow me to separate each subject. I then attend my lessons (lots of lessons) and I insert any handouts into my folder (usually there's a holepuncher in class but I have a polly pocket or plastic wallet to keep any loose papers inside). At home, I have a large lever arch folder for each subject. Make sure you STORE YOUR NOTES FROM YOUR FIRST YEAR SO THAT YOU CAN USE THEM IN YOUR SECOND YEAR and for your first year exams. I am in my second year, I haven't yet achieved the grades I want but I have my notes and I intend to use them!

Daily Update

MAT
    I'm working on MAT 2012. So far I've already somehow managed to get 74 marks and I still have question 7 to do.... I don't know if 2012 was just an easy paper or I'm marking myself too nicely but I've got good marks
    So far:
    Question 1: 36/40
    Question 2: 9/15 (didn't finish on time + i wouldn't have got the last part anyways)
    Question 5: 14/15 (almost nailed this except for the very last part of the last question)
    Question 6: 15/15 (nailed this one - i love question 6)
    Question 7: 12/15
    Total so far: 86/100 - average score amongst all applicants 52.1, amongst shortlisted applicants 63, amongst successful applicants 68.2

I think this is just a too good to be true tbh... my performance will probably drop in the next paper.
    I need to work on my timing though... I did question 1 a lot faster (40 minutes). Question 2 I ran out of time. Question 5 I spent too long on (50 mintues), question 6 I did in about 40 minutes. - that leaves me with 20 minutes to do question 7.
    Hello, It's inspiring how hard you work. I hope you do well.

I have some resources which might help you prepare for the MAT. If you send me your email I could send them to you. I cannot attach them on this message because the file size exceeds the limit. Please let me know how useful they are!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! How much do you think I should be aiming for on the MAT? Do you have any tips for the exam and preparing for it?
    Anything hovering around 60 is a very credible score from what I've heard, honestly, don't get too worked up about scoring past papers because in the actual exam the whole scene changes. You will focus more and have adrenaline (etc.) that you didn't have before and so are likely to form better connections between what the question is asking and the ideas you have.

Tips for the exam, I would say, keep your mind flexible. If you're trying something and it's not working, and if you feel like the solution is getting uglier rather than coming together, maybe sit back for a couple of seconds (the exam is very long, you have time to think!) and really question what you are trying to achieve and whether there is another tool or idea you can utilise.

Time management is essential, keep a watch or failing that, an eye on the clock. If you're spending a lot of time trying to get yourself those last 3 marks on a question, move on, the pay-off of doing so is not worth the expended time. Obviously make sure you have your equipment, I found a compass to be extremely helpful so definitely purchase one if you don't have one.

With regards to preparation, expose yourself to as many questions as possible during this next month on the run up to the exam. These need not just be MAT past questions, AEA and STEP I work fine too, it's more about gaining a better 'mathematical maturity' which will put you in good stead for any follow-up interviews you may have. If you're into olympiad stuff, try some BMO, I am useless at olympiad so honestly I didn't do much BMO preparation although lots (a substantial number) of my peers have been very successful in international competitions so there seems to be some correlation there.

Best of luck, drop me a PM if you have any more questions

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.