What age do you want to get married?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Ideally i'd want the relationship to progress something like..

One year of being together before she moves in.
    One year of living together before we get engaged.

So two years minimum.

Early thirties for me then realistically.
    That's good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy_98)
    Maybe get engaged around 24.
    Two years of being engaged, get married at 26.
    Oh that's a nice age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFBS)
    I got married at 25, and my husband was 35. I was mature enough, but he wasn't. Separated at 27. Divorced by 30.

I'll get married again when I find someone worth the commitment.
    I guess maturity does play a part into getting married.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want children and don't associate marriage with the urge to get pregnant and never do anything ever again. You can get married at 23 and still travel - either together or alone. Marriage isn't giving up your life for someone else, it's just sharing the life that you've planned for yourself WITH someone else.

ReputationRep:
    is it true that women typically want to get married at an earlier age than men? if so, could any speculate as to why that might be?

ReputationRep:
    Never. Tremendous waste of time and resources. You don't need to get married to know you love each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruyshi)
    is it true that women typically want to get married at an earlier age than men? if so, could any speculate as to why that might be?
    Yeah, women are taught from an early age that their wedding day is gonna be the greatest day of their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 now and engaged, we'll probably be married next summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 97Y)
    I don't want children and don't associate marriage with the urge to get pregnant and never do anything ever again. You can get married at 23 and still travel - either together or alone. Marriage isn't giving up your life for someone else, it's just sharing the life that you've planned for yourself WITH someone else.
    That's nice at the moment I don't want to share my life with someone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Yeah, women are taught from an early age that their wedding day is gonna be the greatest day of their lives.
    In my family that isn't the case, it's quite the oppposite hence my parents wanting me to delay marriage for now lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    In my family that isn't the case, it's quite the oppposite hence my parents wanting me to delay marriage for now lol!
    Are you religious?

Some people my age are already married :erm:

I want to get married at 26

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Are you religious?
    Yes, were a family of Sikhs. It's usually daughters who move out and live with their husbands, I'm a female and hence why they want to delay marriage. One of the reasons is so I can spend more time with my family etc

My aunt got married at 29/30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)

How old are you?

I know right, I'm only 21 and people 1/2 years older than me are getting married. One girl got married at 20 😳 .. Some even have children lol!

I wouldn't mind getting married at 26 though

ReputationRep:

When you find the right person, you find the right person. At the end of the day the age you find it doesn't matter. I don't know how old you are but there are people who married young and have been together for a really long time, sometimes it doesn't work out but the point is that you can't live your life thinking "now isn't the time" because before you know it you'll be 40 and going through some existential crisis because in all the time you've been alive you haven't actually done anything and its now too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Ishax)
    How old are you?

I know right, I'm only 21 and people 1/2 years older than me are getting married. One girl got married at 20 😳 .. Some even have children lol!

I wouldn't mind getting married at 26 though
    18 Lmaoo
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    When you find the right person, you find the right person. At the end of the day the age you find it doesn't matter. I don't know how old you are but there are people who married young and have been together for a really long time, sometimes it doesn't work out but the point is that you can't live your life thinking "now isn't the time" because before you know it you'll be 40 and going through some existential crisis because in all the time you've been alive you haven't actually done anything and its now too late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess but the idea of tying myself down so young doesn't sound great

ReputationRep:
    18 Lmaoo
    I guess but the idea of tying myself down so young doesn't sound great
    Perhaps that's because you're seeing it as tying yourself down. After meeting my fiancé the opposite happened.

Posted from TSR Mobile

28/29*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    28/29*
    Same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    At the end of the day, there is no need to mention what type of house you live in as it's irrelevant to this thread. There are a lot of things that come with marriage and a sort of that is paying bills in terms of mortgage which is what I was referring to.

By getting married early I will miss out on my 20's as I plan on working on my career and going travelling etc. I want to be financially stable before I settle down and before that I have stuff I want to accomplish. My personal goals if you'd like.
    Not sure why you've mentioned the former in responding to me, as I've not made any mention of the house I live in. But on that subject, you don't have to have a mortgage once you're married; a huge number of married people still rent; not everyone has the choice to buy. And unmarried couples living together also have bills and rent/mortgage to pay - not really seeing why marriage is the obstacle here?

I find it strange that you think you 'miss out on' your 20s as a married person. My husband and I have worked on our careers and travelled pretty extensively (sometimes with each other, sometimes alone/with other friends) both before and after we were married. You don't have to do everything together if you're married, for goodness' sake. I just think it's weird to see being married as a barrier to doing normal things that married people everywhere are doing every day.*:confused:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.