STEM students should pay higher tuition fees

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Hmm, so Psychology is an easy course?

There is a argument that knowledge is important for its own sake - the more people learn about the human condition eg. the better people they will be - not just the more they will earn, but the better citizens, friends, parents, politicians, doctors, managers, lawyers etc. We are, arguably, more tolerant, wiser even, than we were 300 hundred years ago because of the wider access to education. Education in its broadest sense is what help us to be human.

Psychology helps us to understand how people think and react - pretty important. We no longer throw people into deep dungeons and starve them, burn them at the stake , sell them into slavery because we have learnt to have empathy. You don't learn this from a study of maths and science only.
    I'm not saying that Psychology is generally easy, just that it happens to be one of the courses containing a significant proportion of students who only attend university to drink and party, and therefore the quantity of people accepted on to Psychology courses needs to be dramatically reduced - i.e. you should only be accepted if you have evidence of wanting a career in Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to repeat my earlier post:

(Original post by jneill)
    26% of FTSE100 & FTSE250 CEOs have an arts degree. 28% have a science degree.

Life is a balance between art and science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I'm going to repeat my earlier post:
    By definition, only 100 people can be CEO of a FTSE100 company. This isn't evidence that arts degrees are as good for careers.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the way tution fees are paid back depends massively on salary. It's STEM students who go on to contribute to the economy and pay for education, pensions, health etc. I don't see why they should pay more to a university than someone wasting their time using government loans with a David Beckham degree.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe the stuff I read on this website....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lh030396)
    I believe that students studying STEM subjects at university should pay higher tuition fees than non-STEM students because, on average, STEM students go on to work in highly paid jobs so are more likely to pay back student loans. Students who want to study non-STEM subjects like Media Studies, Art, Music, History, etc. should still be allowed to study those subjects, because education is vital, and people are entitled to study whatever they want. But these subjects, on average, tend to lead to lower-paid employment and often even minimum-wage work. So students end up with ridiculous debt that they can't afford to pay back over their working lives.Tuition fees for STEM students should be £9,000 a year. For non-STEM students: about £3,000 a year. STEM students get better teaching facilities and debt that they can pay back in full when they start work. Non-STEM students are left with much less debt which they might also be able to pay back in full when they go into lower-paid work. Both sides win... 😃
    No, just no

Why should STEM students be penalised for choosing more academically rigorous and in-demand degrees?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, STEM subjects if anything should be encouraged as each graduate that ends up in a well paying job will only go on to help the economy, which in turn also helps to provide student finance for new students.

It doesn't make sense to discourage students from taking a degree which they'd like because of the added worry of financial cost associated with the specific degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lh030396)
    I believe that students studying STEM subjects at university should pay higher tuition fees than non-STEM students because, on average, STEM students go on to work in highly paid jobs so are more likely to pay back student loans. Students who want to study non-STEM subjects like Media Studies, Art, Music, History, etc. should still be allowed to study those subjects, because education is vital, and people are entitled to study whatever they want. But these subjects, on average, tend to lead to lower-paid employment and often even minimum-wage work. So students end up with ridiculous debt that they can't afford to pay back over their working lives.Tuition fees for STEM students should be £9,000 a year. For non-STEM students: about £3,000 a year. STEM students get better teaching facilities and debt that they can pay back in full when they start work. Non-STEM students are left with much less debt which they might also be able to pay back in full when they go into lower-paid work. Both sides win... 😃
    So you think STEM students should pay for non-STEMs?

Well you should have research your degree's job prospects and the living costs of uni study beforehand.

You can't buy a Porsche you can't afford and expect me to pay for it, any more than you can expect a worker and tax payer to subsidise someone who's too lazy to work.

BTW I'm not your mom :P

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.