Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, Bristol, Manchester, UCL, Birmingham, Liverpool, all for pure maths, the four year one so I can choose to carry on to a PhD later.

Lots of people say that Uni isn't as hard as A levels. Well, not hard as in difficult but there's just too much to do. You have to do all these extra curricular stuff, work exp., apply to uni....... all very stressful!

Plus I want to take a gap year and travel the world, but cambridge wants to know what organisation am I going with.... wtf?! I don't want to do any work! I just want to relax.... so i have to talk to my teacher about that today....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    Lots of people say that Uni isn't as hard as A levels. Well, not hard as in difficult but there's just too much to do. You have to do all these extra curricular stuff, work exp., apply to uni....... all very stressful!
    v. true, uni is more like: work time then play time (the way it should be)
    Rather than all this other crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahras)
    PE=private equity. Basically, say Biz A is doing badly. The PE shop will finance Biz A for a position on the board of Biz A. After several years when a reversal takes place the PE shop makes money by making Biz A public (IPO), selling it, or taking profits.

Go to vault.com for more info. There are some good message boards there. Also do a search on the web.

Good luck.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Krim this website should help you. It has been in my favorites for some time.

http://www.privateequityinteractive....=marketpe&id=1

Lots of description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahras)
    Krim this website should help you. It has been in my favorites for some time.

http://www.privateequityinteractive....=marketpe&id=1

Lots of description.
    Cheers again.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember in ANY medical proffession you work all hours of the day. Even student doctors work form 9 in the morning until 10 at night! Plus it takes 5/6 years to qualify. 3000X5=15000 at LEAST in student loans that would soon swallow up your 50,000 wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amystrangeglove)
    You have to remember in ANY medical proffession you work all hours of the day. Even student doctors work form 9 in the morning until 10 at night! Plus it takes 5/6 years to qualify. 3000X5=15000 at LEAST in student loans that would soon swallow up your 50,000 wage.
    That's exactly the reason why I didn't take Medicine!
    Actuary, 9-5, get paid tonnes, and the money will make me happy, I can pay for evening classes, go on holidays, get a new car every 2 years, lol...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krim)
    For the love of money,
    People will still from their momma's.
    Not everyone who wants money is evil! Why do people often think that?!
    When I start making money (and lots of it hopefully) I'll make sure I do my part for the community. You can love money and still have a heart!

ReputationRep:

Depends why you want to go into it, and what you want out of it really. If you want mon-fri 9-5 then I guess it's not for you. Personally, I think it's worth all the hard work and sacrifices, cos that's what I really want to do

ReputationRep:
    I set up a business in my gap year. Its a private tuition company. Not up and running yet. But very optimistic about it.

Anyone interested in becoming a part or full -time private tutor during yor gap year or university studies, contact me through private message.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considdering what to do myself.
    I don't really want a career in clinical medicine, and am looking at the options;
    1. A career in academic medicine - probably pre-clinical. Not the best pay in the world, but a good lifestyle and interesting work.
    2. Joining the Railway as a manager. Would love the job, decent hours, good pay - but less than a Dr. The starting is about £20k, and at 40 you will get between £60-80k. However, if your good the pay can be much higher, but still lower than other sectors 9IIRC the chief execs are on about £0.5million)
    3. A career in the city - have to find some more information, but could do this first aand than jon the Railways.

well put, and ive been trying to say this to people here ......i can tell you its a lot more than 15,000 debt now a days loll try minmum of 35,000

being a doctor say 1980's to early 1990's was a lot better......... now a days the competition is wayyyyy too stiff......... too little places for too many applicants...

(Original post by Nikki J S)
    Depends why you want to go into it, and what you want out of it really. If you want mon-fri 9-5 then I guess it's not for you. Personally, I think it's worth all the hard work and sacrifices, cos that's what I really want to do
    and you called me the saddist? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaggenDaZ)
    and you called me the saddist? lol

I guess that's the difference between people who have a vocation for a job, and those who are only interested in the money and perceived glamour.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys there are many ways to get 6 figures.

The most common way to work it to trade your time for money ( a little, not all get 6 figures) and then use most of it buying stuff when the new paycheck comes. Or you can start taking control of your own life.

Not many jobs or opportunities will get you 6 figures but its within reach, all you have to do is belive in it and go for it. You can get up when you wake up, or you can get up when the alarm clock rings at 6:15 am and spend 2-4 hours of your prime time commuting for at pay that hardly pays the bills.

Its all in your hands.
    If it is to be its up to me

remember

some succeed because they are destined to but most succees because they are determined to.

i did it so can you

I guess that's the difference between people who have a vocation for a job, and those who are only interested in the money and perceived glamour.
    satisfaction/money/glamour*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrseamus)
    Hi guys there are many ways to get 6 figures.

The most common way to work it to trade your time for money ( a little, not all get 6 figures) and then use most of it buying stuff when the new paycheck comes. Or you can start taking control of your own life.

Not many jobs or opportunities will get you 6 figures but its within reach, all you have to do is belive in it and go for it. You can get up when you wake up, or you can get up when the alarm clock rings at 6:15 am and spend 2-4 hours of your prime time commuting for at pay that hardly pays the bills.

Its all in your hands.
    If it is to be its up to me

remember

some succeed because they are destined to but most succees because they are determined to.

i did it so can you

Are you advertising something??

ReputationRep:
    Are you advertising something??
    No just telling the facts. Thats the way it is. I did it and if you want to get out of the rat-race, you have to take control of your own life. Do something about it. Its not going to come by itself. I have a nice business today and only work a little because I want to, need the contact with other people and because its good for my business.

Obstacles are the frightful things you see when you take your mind off your goals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrseamus)
    No just telling the facts. Thats the way it is. I did it and if you want to get out of the rat-race, you have to take control of your own life. Do something about it. Its not going to come by itself. I have a nice business today and only work a little because I want to, need the contact with other people and because its good for my business.

Obstacles are the frightful things you see when you take your mind off your goals.
    I´m just trying to tell you that in stead of dreaming and hoping you are the only one to take control of your life and change it to the better if you are not happy, want more or different. Many people out there hoping and wishing and praying for better times. But it will not come by itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaggenDaZ)
    satisfaction/money/glamour*

Hi

You can still be dedicated and happy even though you focus.
    Anyway whats wrong with making money? It keeps a lot of people happy. Giving them chances to do things they would have never done, going places they would have never gone, seeing things and feel the world feel alive
    instead of sitting in some car, train, bus or underground 2-4 hours a day.

Hours takes from their quality time they were supposed to spend with their family and beloved ones, but no I´d rather sit somewhere looking at the trees passing by. But it´s not only trees passing by its TIME passing by.

Time that was supposed to be spend with the ones I just mentioned.

Ask arround and you will se how many people will agree with this. But they never took the chance or were never given the chance to break out and change their lives. Suddenly many of them woke up and the kids had left the house moved away for college maybe. And they realise sitting alone in the kitchen watching morning tv that they did´nt get to do many of the things they wanted to with their kids, and now the kids has gone away.

But its never to late to take control, I have people in my network that have retired and build businesses now spending all their time with their family and friends doing the things they should have done many years ago. Now they have done it, so its never too late.

Find out what you want from life, have it in the back of your head and some day wou will be ready because you know that the possibility is there and it can be done. YOU have the chance when youre ready. Only you can take control of your life and change it. But its up to you to do it. YOU have to take the first step.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.