Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me the difference between geomorphic hazards and tectonic hazards?

I know gemorphic is to do with how the land is formed, but surely that is basically tectonic as well? Volcanoes/earthquakes occur due to tectonic plate movements, but this is also land structure.

ReputationRep:
    geomorphic is like avalanches and landslides...whereas tectonic is volcanoes..earthquakes..tsunami. ..

ReputationRep:
    Geomorphic hazards are associated with surface processes -especially instability within land whereas tectonic hazards originate within the earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza07)
    Geomorphic hazards are associated with surface processes -especially instability within land whereas tectonic hazards originate within the earth.
    Ah, that has cleared it up. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone felling confident and what to hazard a guess at what questions will arise tomorrow? ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stunting101)
    anyone felling confident and what to hazard a guess at what questions will arise tomorrow? ;p
    I'm guessing that one question will be in relation to a MHZ and the other one will perhaps ask us to focus on one type of hazard i.e. tectonic/geomorphic/climatic

ReputationRep:
    ahh i hope not... i run the risk of being done over then since i do not know about mhz's and i have not got nay geomorphic hazards

ReputationRep:
    ahh i hope not... i run the risk of being done over then since i do not know about mhz's and i have not got nay geomorphic hazards
    I've got a huge imbalance in my case studies i.e. 5 climate, 2 geomorphic and 3 tectonic so yeah booo geomorphic.
    I don't have any MHZ's but I might just remember a few points on one of them briefly just in case.

ReputationRep:
    a good example of a geomorphological case study and any info on it would be much appreciated please?1/

ReputationRep:
    a good example of a geomorphological case study and any info on it would be much appreciated please?1/
    UK floods 2007

landslide/avalanche

ReputationRep:
    i think multi haz are good... or am i missing something? lol

ive attached a new zealand case study as it shows how MHZ dont always cause the most hazards.. i think the phillipines is good aswell.. its easy to remember cus basicly every hazard occurs there!

does annnnnyone know how to apply parks and kates models to the case studies?
    ive got climatic - katrina/andrew/mitch/bangladesh cyclone and flooding 2007
    tectonic - asian tsunami/pinatubo/kobe/bam/california earthquake/nevada del ruiz

... no geomorph though.... eeek
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc newzealand.doc (258.5 KB, 118 views)

ReputationRep:
    how are people planning to justify case studies in the inroduction? Are you going to write a framework for the essay or what? Also can new information be added in the conclusion or should you be drawing information from your main body only? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freshtrader)
    how are people planning to justify case studies in the inroduction? Are you going to write a framework for the essay or what? Also can new information be added in the conclusion or should you be drawing information from your main body only? cheers
    Justifying case studies I guess we won't know till we see the question but hazarding a guess - justify them in terms of impacts ie. socio-economic + environmental? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freshtrader)
    Yeah you should write a framework in the intro but dont name the case studies exactly. Just say something like 'in order to examine this we must look at a range of examples. This could include geomorphic, tectonic..' something like that.
    And yeah never add new info in the conclusion. Just take all the important bits of your essay that answer your question and kind of repeat them in different words.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading examiners reports and they keep refering to the 'continuum model' - so let's say they asked us a question about small scale/large scale hazards is this what they mean:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...iniummodel.jpg

(The case studies are based on some of the ones I've learnt)

ReputationRep:
    well i hope they dont...and sorry i have no idea! :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethy1987)
    i think multi haz are good... or am i missing something? lol

ive attached a new zealand case study as it shows how MHZ dont always cause the most hazards.. i think the phillipines is good aswell.. its easy to remember cus basicly every hazard occurs there!

does annnnnyone know how to apply parks and kates models to the case studies?
    ive got climatic - katrina/andrew/mitch/bangladesh cyclone and flooding 2007
    tectonic - asian tsunami/pinatubo/kobe/bam/california earthquake/nevada del ruiz

... no geomorph though.... eeek
    I plan to use the parks with kobe and the boxing day tsunami. Both of them improve in infrastructure after the disaster.

Kobe with the new laws and better earthquake proof houses that were introduced after Kobe.

For Boxing Day Tsunami you could suggest that the parks can be used because they installed prediction systems in the Indian ocean after.

Both will improve quality of life and is shown by the end peak on the parks.

I'm not planning on using kates at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tricks)
    I plan to use the parks with kobe and the boxing day tsunami. Both of them improve in infrastructure after the disaster.

Kobe with the new laws and better earthquake proof houses that were introduced after Kobe.

For Boxing Day Tsunami you could suggest that the parks can be used because they installed prediction systems in the Indian ocean after.

Both will improve quality of life and is shown by the end peak on the parks.

I'm not planning on using kates at all.
    THANKYOU!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone like to say exactly how they are going to structure their introduction and what to include in it? thanks alot.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned earlier that we need a definition of a natural hazard from a reliable source. Has anyone got a good one with the source attached?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.