Paedophiles Watch

Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
I will look more tomorrow. Afaik, while wording-wise they are not, they are put on the sex offenders register.
People who rape adults are also on the sex offenders register - doesn't make them paedophiles :p:

I'm just against their being laws specifically about 'paedophiles'. There are no laws against who you are, only what you do. Being a paedophile, like being homo or heterosexual, is a description of who you are. So I don't see the reason for any laws to make mention of paedophilia.
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Caladonna)
I am curiosu how people feel about that though, If I had never come out about it. And he never threatened my life, Do you think the 10y sentence was too steep? Oppions are welcome, I wont get mad. A lady in cambridge went toe to toe on me about it.
Because of the mental anguish you went through, I personally wouldn't blame you for not coming forward about the abuse, even if he wasn't caught and went on to abuse more children. He is completely to blame. However, I'm not speaking from experience, but isn't it better for you and your recovery/'closure' that this was brought into the open? Even if he had stopped, do you think it is easier to get on with life knowing others know or were you more 'comfortable' keeping the secret to yourself?

10 years was definitely not too steep. He DID threaten your life, you just happen to not get as badly hurt as some other people.

Anyway. Brave of you to tell your story (or is it brave? maybe it's easier than holding it in?). I hope the rest of your life is filled with happiness.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ViolatedTreason)
anything that isnt allowed by law.. thats where the line should be drawn..
But laws are designed by people thinking. Don't be afraid to think, you could see the law change into something that seems blatantly obvious in 30 years time.
NotQuiteCornish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A convicted paedophile lives 4 doors down from me along my terrace. He was done for possessing loads of sick photos of kids in what I won't describe, but as far as his 'involvement' goes I think he had three photos of his nephew when young in swimming trunks or whatever.

He works on motorbikes. My brother used to hang out there as a kid, learn how the bikes worked etc. My brother maintains the guy was never out of line, 'pervy' or weird. So in his case, I guess it's just a disgusting perversion. Guys like him should simply be counselled into using more 'appropriate' sources of stimulation, perhaps?

It's the predatory paedophiles I have issue with. The ones that snatch kids. The ones Brass Eye parodied back in 2001. These paedophiles should be utterly destroyed - psychologically, physically, whatever. Turn them into fucntional shells of a being. Locked away. Who cares about freedom of expression with people capable of such vile exploitation?

The stuff they subject kids to is the most repugnant of crimes in my book - mainly as it's the lack of defence kids can offer. It's...oh god, it defies words okay!
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A query for those who agree that paedophilia is a sexual preference:

It has been compared to things like BDSM and shoe fetishes (in this thread at least). Do you think these fetishes are innate or come about through up-bringing? How does paedophilia compare in your opinion? Innate or up-bringing?
And if upbringing, do you have any of your own ideas about what can make someone a paedophile? And if it isn't innate, can it be reversed?

Just wondering what people think.
NotQuiteCornish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
A query for those who agree that paedophilia is a sexual preference:

It has been compared to things like BDSM and shoe fetishes (in this thread at least). Do you think these fetishes are innate or come about through up-bringing? How does paedophilia compare in your opinion? Innate or up-bringing?
And if upbringing, do you have any of your own ideas about what can make someone a paedophile? And if it isn't innate, can it be reversed?

Just wondering what people think.

Frankly, taking it at face value of course, they don't even come close to comparing to one another. It's one thing getting your rocks off over a pair of brown loafers or some sweaty stilettots; something altogether far, far worse when you're taking an innocent, defenceless child and subjecting it to the most appalling of violations.

Still, I can see your curiosity there. I've often wondered if it's something they grow up to prefer based on their upbringing or choices they make themselves. I think it must be nurture rather than nature? It's almost as if a paedophile's got their wires crossed somewhere - a disappointing childhood, missing out on adolescent courtship?

Have to say though, I don't think it's reversible. I think that as a society, we also have a role to play in protecting the vulnerable and thereforte, paedophiles should NEVER be allowed to come into contact with children. Simple as, in my opinion.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think certain fetishes and sexual preferences, or at least a predisposition to them, are innate. In this context I don't see any reason why paedophilia is any different to homosexuality, and it's commonly maintained that is something you are born with. So I believe paedophilia is also something innate to some people.
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by .pushing.charlotte.)

peadophiles who act on their urges should be castrated. end of story.
Deffo. Paedophilia is rather horrific.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise