Do people keep spelling/pronouncing your name wrong? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fictitious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've had some rather unusual spellings of "Lauren" over the years. But there are lots of different ways of writing it, I guess, so it's only to be expected. My friends used to get it wrong all the time, but I went on and on about it, and now they all spell it correctly
But the most annoying thing ever is when someone calls me Laura - I know they're similar, but it's NOT my name!
:p:
CrazyBeautiful
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nobody ever spells my surname right. With Emma you can't go wrong (though some people write Ema :rolleyes: )- but nobody can spell Connolly. There's always a variation with the double letters, or else it's Conley or Connely. I've taken to saying 'like Billy' or just spelling it out for people

Some people pronounce it 'K-nolly' too, which is annoying- mainly because I think it sounds stupid :p:
Liv~
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Leavy.
Vivi.
Laviana.
Lefy.
Lify.
Livyana.

Well, Its Liviana. And the nick is Livi. Some called me Liv too.
Easy to pronounce and to write, I guess.
boysenberry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ohhh yeah. my name's hashim, pronounced exactly as you see it: hash-im. virtually everyone who reads my name off of a register or something says hash-eem. over the years i've lost the will to correct them.
Welshness
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
yup..alot of people say "Dafydd" the englishy way of "Daff-id"
hbandtr4eva
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is why we should use the IPA instead of our warped way of spelling!!! It would make things waaaaaaaaaaaay easier.

I'm a Katherine but always get called Kathryn by one of my aunties - I've given up correcting her now bless her :rolleyes:

And I have to spell my surname - seriously it's Balls - how hard is that to spell :confused:
Lord Hysteria
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
My name is Liam and people get it wrong alll the time *rolls eyes and sighs*
**MidnightMia**
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lkjhg5)
My name gets mispronounced so much, I don't bother correcting people anymore...

Nayton
Nayfon
Nayfan
Nayven
Natan
Naton
Naytan
Nitan
Niton
Jason
Ethan
Adrian

Especially when I'm abroad, it's a mission trying to get people to pronouce my name properly..

"my name's nathan"
"naytan"
"no...nathan"
"nay..vvhon"
"nevermind, just call me naytan"

How can they not know "Nathan"? :confused:
>Anna<
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My surname's Armenian. People take one look at it and kind of grimace. it's really not that hard. And then I get people asking me where it's from. And then look really confused when I tell them it's Armenian, mostly coz no one's ever heard of Armenia. Luckily 'Anna' isn't too hard. Although i have been called Hannah numerous times.

My brother's called Benedict and people used to always get there monk-y names wrong and call him Dominic.
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my name's Catherine and in school i used to get people who pronounced it Caff-rin, its got a th in it not two f's! :mad:
mire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first name is Catalan, and it is quite difficult to pronounce for anyone outside Spain, I admit it.

My full name is Mireia Nicolas-Sánchez.

Maria Nicholas Sanchez
Mirella / Mireya / Merea / Myriam / Maria...

Miria Sanchez
Maria Sanchez
Merea Nicolas Sanchez
Nicolas Sanchez
Nicolas Sanchez Mirella

I always carry on my driver's license with me, but I am seriously fed up of people thinking I am a guy just because my first surname is Nicolas. WITH NO H. Fortunately people know about Sánchez... otherwise I would have gone insane long ago. However, my name is too long so I just say 'Mireia Nicolas'.
Hasan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everyone (and I mean everyone) writes Hassan instead of Hasan :mad:
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i am clare without an i, but people still shove an I in it.. girl at work who i've worked with for a good few months still gets it wrong, despite me telling her, and the fact that i wear a stinking name badge! i want to slap her.
and my surname is noon. so people like to add a weird E at the end of that.
mushoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i just put up with it, unless i dont like the way they say it!
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hannah_x)
People constantly call me Anna.

Last week, doing my work experience, I was called the following;
Anna
Heather
Hayley
Emma
Anne

People always leave the h off of the end of my name, too, which annoys me no end because the only thing it has going for it is the fact that it's a palindrome.

x
lol, im the other way round, people put the h on the end when it shouldnt be there!

i get called all of those other names too..boo!
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cooro)
My first name is Ami- only pronounced wrong once (they pronounced it as 'Ammy', for some strange reason...) but it's spelled wrong constantly. Because it's that inconcievable that the name might be spelled with an 'I' :mad:
lol, my middle name is Aimmee, which is just awful really!
Chew
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People (including my school) always spell my name with one t instead of 2. My name is Matthew btw. It looks stupid with one t.
pretz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hassan)
Everyone (and I mean everyone) writes Hassan instead of Hasan :mad:
Oh.
bruisepristine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People sometimes spell it Rosey rather than Rosie.
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All my life i have had to correct people who spell my name Rachel it drives me mad. But i have similar problem with my surname, It's Watkinson and i've had everything; Watkins, Wilkins, Wilkinson, Watson etc. nobody can seem to get either of my names right. Some (very special) people have looked a my first name and asked how to pronouce it, Jesus!!! I have been called Raquel on occasions.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads