Black and worried Watch

*Katie*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shellyanne)
Not only are u boasting, your also a big fat liar! contradicting yourself, fool. How did u get into oxford when you lie so muhc?!
What am I boasting about? Being black? I call myself black, because I look it. I have mixed heritage, so I have light skin. Not sure how that makes me a liar :confused:.]

(Original post by Anonymous)
I would have said what you said to him, except I don't think it worth anyone's time. Hopefully if we ignore him, he'll go away.
Hehe I'm kind of hoping he falls of the face of the earth, but him leaving this thread will do :p:.
rico dan man
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
trust me it can work in your favour
Anonymous #16
Report 10 years ago
OP what is your first name and what course are you doing at Oxford?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
OP what is your first name and what course are you doing at Oxford?
Um... no offence but I posted anon for a reason.
Tariqé
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I'm really worried that when I go to uni noone will fancy me. You see I'm a black girl and I'm going to Oxford where the student population is predominantly white. I saw a thread in the Oxbridge forum (still there if you wanna looks its calle hook ups or soemthing) that said the general standard of attractiveness for girls/ those girls who are considered 'fit' tend to be blonde - and by default white.

Another thing that makes me think this is becuase most of the guys are white, middle class and will have been brought up surrounded by white girls and I will be something of an oddity.

Thanks

Don't be silly! I'm mixed "raced" at Cambridge and trust me even though it is predominantly white you will have no troubles finding someone Everyone's got different tastes and I have found being 'different' in terms of appearance actually makes you well known really really easily - you kind of stand out! People will know who you are even before you've ever met them! Just be your self and don't shy away just because you are slightly 'different', and things will follow from there!

To be honest (and I speak from experience here), the people who are single - in any place, not just uni - don't tend to be those who are 'less attractive' to those around them in a physical sense, but rather are less attractive in a personality sense. So just be yourself, get out there, and have some fun!

ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tariqé)
Don't be silly! I'm mixed "raced" at Cambridge and trust me even though it is predominantly white you will have no troubles finding someone Everyone's got different tastes and I have found being 'different' in terms of appearance actually makes you well known really really easily - you kind of stand out! People will know who you are even before you've ever met them! Just be your self and don't shy away just because you are slightly 'different', and things will follow from there!

To be honest (and I speak from experience here), the people who are single - in any place, not just uni - don't tend to be those who are 'less attractive' to those around them in a physical sense, but rather are less attractive in a personality sense. So just be yourself, get out there, and have some fun!

hmm ...sorry to butt in here
but I think your situation is quite a bit different as firstly you are male not female and secondly you are "mixed race" not black.
Tariqé
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ANM775)
hmm ...sorry to butt in here
but I think your situation is quite a bit different as firstly you are male not female and secondly you are "mixed race" not black.

You have pointed out superficial differences, which have no bearing on the advice I gave her.
7Magpies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I honestly wouldn't worry. If a guy likes you, he'll like you for who you are -race shouldn't even come into it- and there will be guys that like you, especially if you are even moderately pretty.
White guys do fancy black girls. One of my aunts is black and married to my (white) uncle. They love each other and have two kids. I have several black female friends who go out with white boyfriends. I also have two other aunts, who are married to men who happen to be black. As a white girl I've been attracted to white, black and mixed race guys, and boys of all three of these races have been attracted to me. Race isn't really an issue for a great many people, and anybody who is prejudiced against you for something as irrelevant as skin colour isn't worth your time.
phones
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 7Magpies)
I honestly wouldn't worry. If a guy likes you, he'll like you for who you are -race shouldn't even come into it- and there will be guys that like you, especially if you are even moderately pretty.
White guys do fancy black girls. One of my aunts is black and married to my (white) uncle. They love each other and have two kids. I have several black female friends who go out with white boyfriends. I also have two other aunts, who are married to men who happen to be black. As a white girl I've been attracted to white, black and mixed race guys, and boys of all three of these races have been attracted to me. Race isn't really an issue for a great many people, and anybody who is prejudiced against you for something as irrelevant as skin colour isn't worth your time.

this is good advice
CaptainJackSparrow27
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
actually i am scared of talking with black girls

but i have made some of the best friends with black girls.
i love Espeicaly girls from GHANA. they r so friendly.
but i am still scared of them
Anonymous #17
Report 10 years ago
Hiya,

Im an oxbridge student and white (although certainly not blonde). I think that maybe there are a certain minority who think white, blonde and skinny is beautiful, but it is by no means everyone. I think and hope that there will be plenty of guys out there who will go for you, especially since, in my experience, a lot of people meet boyfriends etc because they do the same subject or at some club or society, in which case your interests and conversation are much more important than your skin colour. I must say I don't think I come from what might be considered a typical background for an oxbridge student, however I really love it there and i hope you do too! xxx
BtotheAtotheZ
Report 10 years ago
i like you already

Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A lot of guys think they're only attracted to members of their own race until they actually meet someone of another race. I would know.
Chase Me
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They say blondes have more fun but it's just not true. A lot of men prefer a more exotic looking woman, over a blonde idiot who's been around the block and can't keep up a conversation. And when they do want a girl like that, they're only after one thing and I'm sure you don't want to be going to university and cultivating relationships like that.

I'm sure you'll be fine, I know lots of average white guys that fancy black women and find them very sexy.
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think people at oxford will be intelligent enough to know that hair colour, skin colour or anything else don't really have that much of a bearing on what a person is really like.
And like, I'm sure people will like you so long as you don't live up to whatever stereotype they've already had in their head.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CaptainJackSparrow27)
actually i am scared of talking with black girls

but i have made some of the best friends with black girls.
i love Espeicaly girls from GHANA. they r so friendly.
but i am still scared of them
Why? :confused:
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
My friend has the same thing, he thinks they're harder to impress or that there's nothing about him that could impress a black woman.

Not to come across as racist or as though I'm tarring everyone with the same brush but if you go to certain areas of London, it sort of rings true, "rude gyals" can be pretty crass or sometimes even patronising towards you and unwilling to make friends with you if you're in any way different to them...

Speaking from experience I got a lot of flack at sixth form and college for not fitting into what they thought a black person should be like...so in some senses I guess his apprehension is justified to a degree though it shouldn't color his opinion of every black girl he meets.
NoQualms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
:confused: Maybe he's a nut job.

I think guys of other races are scared to approach me too; despite it being glaringly obvious they are interested-pun intended! So i have to do all the talking if i like them back....it's bloody annoying. Not all black girls are automatically abrasive and scary-although i can be :p:
NoQualms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bete noire)
My friend has the same thing, he thinks they're harder to impress or that there's nothing about him that could impress a black woman.

Not to come across as racist or as though I'm tarring everyone with the same brush but if you go to certain areas of London, it sort of rings true, "rude gyals" can be pretty crass or sometimes even patronising towards you and unwilling to make friends with you if you're in any way different to them...

Speaking from experience I got a lot of flack at sixth form and college for not fitting into what they thought a black person should be like...so in some senses I guess his apprehension is justified to a degree though it shouldn't color his opinion of every black girl he meets.
lmao....umm i'm not going to reject that as completely false; i've noticed that when black girls i know go out with/date guys of other races there tends to be something a bit impressive about the guy compared to the black guys they've dated.
T.G.O.A.T
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NoQualms)
lmao....umm i'm not going to reject that as completely false; i've noticed that when black girls i know go out with/date guys of other races there tends to be something a bit impressive about the guy compared to the black guys they've dated.
Sorry what? . Elaborate as I really don't understand your point?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (227)
39.27%
No - but I will (40)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (270)
46.71%

Watched Threads