43.85%
Engineer (49)
15.46%
Cities
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
Oh dear - Physics is experimental philisophy.
Oh dear? No. You could say that physics is based exclusively on the scientific method, which is a subset of 'philosophy', but the scientific method was not developed by means of philosophical inquiry - it was developed independent to it e.g. the first 'ideas' were through an Islamic scientist, and Copernicus, however it was not based upon philosophy, only examined and refined via philosophy. Hence I agree with what someone else said - you need a subject, or something to philosophise, and I disagree with the assertion that physics is 'expermental philosophy'.
k823127
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Physicist...because i hated physics and it was mean to me so they must be uber clever to like it firstly and then be good at it!
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by k823127)
Physicist...because i hated physics and it was mean to me so they must be uber clever to like it firstly and then be good at it!
:hugs: physics was mean to all of us :yep:
x01
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Engineer followed by Physicist. While the brainiest people have all been physicst but in general a normal engineer is smarter as the invent nearly everthing use and drive techonogly forward thus are the ones who advance mankind. And before you ask no i don't want to be a engineer:ninja:
fleur_de_haine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mush)
Not at all. For an Engineering to be successful and innovative he has to be a master of all three, not average at all three.
'Twas a lighthearted quip; I suppose humour falls far outside an engineers remit.:rolleyes: That said, all humour surrounding us physicists is usually, atrocious.:no:
History Lost in Physics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by n1r4v)
Oh dear? No. You could say that physics is based exclusively on the scientific method, which is a subset of 'philosophy', but the scientific method was not developed by means of philosophical inquiry - it was developed independent to it e.g. the first 'ideas' were through an Islamic scientist, and Copernicus, however it was not based upon philosophy, only examined and refined via philosophy. Hence I agree with what someone else said - you need a subject, or something to philosophise, and I disagree with the assertion that physics is 'expermental philosophy'.
But that is the problem; you define philosophy as a subject in it's own right; I do not. I fear the we agree yet are disagreeing because we have different definitions for the various words we are using.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PaperChain)
I chose maths mainly because I'm doing it x3 Love how it's way out in front in the poll xD

They're different skills really though, engineers might do chemistry, physics and maths, but they don't do them in anywhere near as much detail as the people who do any of those individually /=

At least in maths when we claim something is true every time we mean every time and can prove it with absolute certainty. Physics proofs are way inferiorer, and I'm not sure engineers feel the need to prove anything at all xD

Of course, instead of fighting amongst ourselves we should band together, then we'd definitely be the brainiest group of all x]
Lol.
thomaskurian89
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Aren't Mathematicians brainiest by definition?
Atrixa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I voted mathematician, but who can really tell? Intellect doesn't have much effect on someone's interests. Someone could have made a great mathematician, but his/her heart lied with Biology, or even Literature or something for that matter.
Plato123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mathematician.
Sick Puppy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's no option to vote for myself
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by philosophy_kid)
lmao! Philosophy is the 'love of knowledge'.

firstly - that isn't even the dictionary definition, which is love of wisdom.
secondly - i do real life philosophy, not 'dictionary-philosophy', which generally embrases just a little more than a quest for more knowledge.
True. But maybe he was just talking about the etymological root from the Greek :p:
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
Engineer - they have a mix of the two hardest ones; physics and maths!
:ditto:
:congrats:
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
True. But maybe he was just talking about the etymological root from the Greek :p:
Which is generally accepted to be 'love of wisdom'
Remember that the word is from ancient greek, so depends a lot upon translators opinions.

I would argue that it would be 'love of truth' for a dictionary definition.
TŎM
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Atrixa)
I voted mathematician, but who can really tell? Intellect doesn't have much effect on someone's interests. Someone could have made a great mathematician, but his/her heart lied with Biology, or even Literature or something for that matter.
I think that's a good point. However, while your intellect doesn't effect your interests; your interests do have an effect on your intellect. If Einstein was fascinated by computer games rather than physics do you think he'd still be considered the greatest mind of all time?
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TŎM)
I think that's a good point. However, while your intellect doesn't effect your interests; your interests do have an effect on your intellect. If Einstein was fascinated by computer games rather than physics do you think he'd still be considered the greatest mind of all time?
Depends what you mean by greatest mind :P
TŎM
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by philosophy_kid)
I would argue that it would be 'love of truth' for a dictionary definition.
Are you sure about that? Isn't there a whole branch of Philosophy that considers truth to be entirely subjective?
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TŎM)
Are you sure about that? Isn't there a whole branch of Philosophy that considers truth to be entirely subjective?
Yeah... and there's a whole branch of philosophy that deals with whether knowledge is possible or not.

Try defining mathematics... it isn't easy when one knows a little about the subject.
username130457
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I say physicist since they learn Physics and have to occasionally link their knowledge to all three sciences and frequently Maths also.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by _Mazza_)
This thread reminded me of this comic.

hehe, I love that!!
And I love even more how camp the physicist looks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed