Official LSE Applicants+Decisions 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
ninety_nine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When did/will most people send off their application? Ideally I'd want it off by mid October-end of October. Is that about when most people are doing it? Some eager LSE beavers on this forum
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ninety_nine)
When did/will most people send off their application? Ideally I'd want it off by mid October-end of October. Is that about when most people are doing it? Some eager LSE beavers on this forum
Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Sooner hopefully rather than later! Picked my choices, done my PS so it shouldn't be too long now.

You?
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vesta)
Hopefully within the next couple of weeks. Sooner hopefully rather than later! Picked my choices, done my PS so it shouldn't be too long now.

You?
Ideally by mid October but I'll probably leave it until the end of October. I still haven't put pen to paper on my personal statement but I'm on a gap year so time-wise I'm free as a biiiiird

Sorry, didn't reply to your previous point about UCL! I'm applying there actually, I think I have my five choices sorted now. LSE (Social Pol w/Government), UCL (PEES), KCL (War Studies), Manc (Pol + IR) & Bristol (Social Pol + Politics). I may swap Bristol for another Manchester course though, I'm dead cert on going to a big city.

Have you decided on whether you're going for straight government or with social policy? Is LSE not high on where you want to go because you already live in London? I've lived in a town all my life so I couldn't go somewhere like Durham or York!
Vesta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ideally by mid October but I'll probably leave it until the end of October. I still haven't put pen to paper on my personal statement but I'm on a gap year so time-wise I'm free as a biiiiird

Sorry, didn't reply to your previous point about UCL! I'm applying there actually, I think I have my five choices sorted now. LSE (Social Pol w/Government), UCL (PEES), KCL (War Studies), Manc (Pol + IR) & Bristol (Social Pol + Politics). I may swap Bristol for another Manchester course though, I'm dead cert on going to a big city.

Have you decided on whether you're going for straight government or with social policy? Is LSE not high on where you want to go because you already live in London? I've lived in a town all my life so I couldn't go somewhere like Durham or York!
Ah nice! So you like London then?!

Yep, decided on Government. My PS simply doesn't cover any Social Policy at all, so it seems a bit risqué to go for SP & Gvt. LSE is very low down on my list because - even though it's a fantastic place - I live in London and I want a change for university. I've always lived in a city so I'd prefer to go to Durham/Bristol as they're city-ish... Warwick not so much. But we'll see who gives me offers!
Napalm
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
By the end of September if all goes according to plan. Just waiting on my professor to finish the reference bit and I should be all set :woo: .
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amar09)
the earliest they give offers is the last friday in november but they will still give your application equal consideration as long as you get it in before the deadline.
ta.

Deadline is January 09. I think i will send it in last week of October. Its so difficult trying to find time to work on the PS when you have a 9-5 job and are self teaching an A2 to yourself.

O well :woo:
amar09
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by steve2006)
ta.

Deadline is January 09. I think i will send it in last week of October. Its so difficult trying to find time to work on the PS when you have a 9-5 job and are self teaching an A2 to yourself.

O well :woo:

Thats the beauty of Weekends!!!!
kurify
Report 10 years ago
I'm applying for Human Rights. I have been waiting for the 2009 threads to come around for about a year or so now, so I am insanely excited about all of this. It's nice to meet you all. : )
rnshan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Where can I find application statistics for LSE economics course? especially % of overseas students against UK students. I was told by my Eco Tutor that LSE prefers overseas students as they pay much higher fees. Any views on this? Is this true?
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rnshan)
Where can I find application statistics for LSE economics course? especially % of overseas students against UK students. I was told by my Eco Tutor that LSE prefers overseas students as they pay much higher fees. Any views on this? Is this true?
I don't think they give any real bias towards overseas students because the government here pays the difference for domestic students to keep things fair. LSE does seem to have the greatest overseas student intake of any university I've encountered though.

From the prospectus, for Economics it says there were 2,861 applicants for 236 places...you do the maths :rolleyes:

Oh, and hello kurify, nice to meet you too
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Btw, of everyone here, whos putting down module grades on their UCAS? I know it's optional but I'd imagine LSE would want all the information they can when making their decision.

I have nothing to hide really haha.
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vesta)
Ah nice! So you like London then?!

Yep, decided on Government. My PS simply doesn't cover any Social Policy at all, so it seems a bit risqué to go for SP & Gvt. LSE is very low down on my list because - even though it's a fantastic place - I live in London and I want a change for university. I've always lived in a city so I'd prefer to go to Durham/Bristol as they're city-ish... Warwick not so much. But we'll see who gives me offers!
Ahh I think London would be boss! My bro went to Kings and everytime I visited him, the place just seemed great. Plus, aren't the LSE buildings in a really nice part of London? Since I'm also applying to UCL & KCL I'm really maximising my chances haha..

Good luck with Durham though, the places looks great, have a few friends going there this year as well.
Vesta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahh I think London would be boss! My bro went to Kings and everytime I visited him, the place just seemed great. Plus, aren't the LSE buildings in a really nice part of London? Since I'm also applying to UCL & KCL I'm really maximising my chances haha..

Good luck with Durham though, the places looks great, have a few friends going there this year as well.
Yeah, LSE is in a really beautiful part of London. One of my favourites actually - I absolutely love Chancery Lane. It's really near Lincoln's Inn Fields which is absolutely lovely, and of course the High Courts of Justice. Really wonderful.

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get :p: Good luck to you too
cactus_c
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, a bit random I know but,

do you guys consider your personal statements "special"? I mean, how on earth do they make you stand out? I feel like everyone, me included, will be including the same general stuff (why it's your passion/couple of books/voluntary work/ECs etc...) and I have no idea how to make it somehow more interesting. Any tips on writing a 'brilliant' PS? How do you guys manage so far? Obviously the better the PS the better the chances are of getting an offer.

Any thoughts?
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cactus_c)
Ok, a bit random I know but,

do you guys consider your personal statements "special"? I mean, how on earth do they make you stand out? I feel like everyone, me included, will be including the same general stuff (why it's your passion/couple of books/voluntary work/ECs etc...) and I have no idea how to make it somehow more interesting. Any tips on writing a 'brilliant' PS? How do you guys manage so far? Obviously the better the PS the better the chances are of getting an offer.

Any thoughts?
I'm having the same problem. I think any university understands that there are only so many ways you can articulate your passion for a subject and they understand the limitations of a personal statement. Personally, I plan to read lots of exisiting personal statements, so that I can avoid being cliched and try to be a little bit more original.

Remember that they're not looking for an epic piece of english, so as long as you get your passion for the subject across, perhaps relevant experience, and the odd extracirricular off you stand a good chance (especially if you what attracted you to the subject/what you've done is very different to other people, since it makes for an interesting read!).
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Name: Swayum
Course: Business Mathematics and Statistics
Grades: AAAAa (see profile for details)
Date applied: 11th of September 2008 (application has still not been processed by UCAS though so no Track access).

When do the first offers/rejections tend to come out?
swingin_yoyo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Name: swingin_yoyo
Course: Geography
Grades: AAAAc (predicted AAAA, dropping a C at AS level)
Date applied: not yet!
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Plus, aren't the LSE buildings in a really nice part of London? .

Yeah they are right in the middle of london Oh and KCL is just down the road!
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't believe there is another batch of applicants already!
No one is certain when the first batch of offers go out but if the last couple of years are anything to go by, usually the first batch of offers are given out late november/early december with some rejections being a little earlier than this.
JoeJBB
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm applying for International Relations - Just did the 'substitute choice' option, changed from York. Bit worried because now that makes all my choices REALLY competitive ones . Ah well, at least there's extra and clearing lol.

J
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads