Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking, is it possible to go back to amending your A levels after moving on from school without a remark or anything? I left and I really regret not resitting cos I feel like my prospects are being restricted with 2 of 3 of my grades being bad/

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been here nearly 3 weeks now and I'm feeling a bit lonely. Somehow everyone's split off into groups already and I don't feel part of anything. I just don't know how to get beyond the initial stage of meeting people and have friends I can hang out with.
    I feel the exact same. I get on with the people in my flat but am finding it a bit harder to make friends on the course. I chat to a few people in lectures but it doesn't go much further than that except maybe a hello and quick convo at a later day. Some of my flatmates have already started going out with people from their course. I know its only 3 weeks in but I'm worried incase things dont change.

Yes You've heard it before. I'm homesick. I've been here 2 weeks now and all I have thought about is going home. I've involved myself in clubs, I've spoken to my flat mates and my parents and I've told my tutor.

Now what? I still want to go home.

I'm not eating. And I'm either on the toilet with diarrhoea or constipated.

I have now fallen out with my parents over wanting to go home. They think I'm not trying hard enough. And that if I can't stay here I'm never going to leave home. But it will be different when I do leave home though cause I'll be in the same country!!! I'm from Ireland and I'm in Scotland.

I want to go home.

IM from ireland too ,and dont really like it here . i feel really inadequate compared to everyone else

I thought I would be the last person to post in here. I am a mature student (20s) and thought I would swan in do my work and graduate (that was my plan)

For example after or in between lectures I have no idea what to do. It sounds trivial but do I just go home (I am not in halls) and curl up into a ball or go home and study? What do people do between lectures?

I have made friends in my lectures however the other matures (who have kids and spouses) and the independent undergrads seem very attracted to me. However the problem is they do not want to go out, they just want to study or go home. As much as I love keeping my nose buried in books my social life has started suffering! I want to go out there and meet people but dont know how. I joined a few societies but at the mo things are slow and one of them is just plain useless

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

I need some advice please, before I tell you my problem, I'll give you a little back ground information.

Ok, I'm 22 years old, and upon leaving school I got a job with the local authority in Admin, I stayed there from 2002 - 2007 in a few job roles, gained my NVQ 2 and 3 in Business Admin.

Last year I left (on good terms) to do an Access course to go a degree and then into teaching, because that is what I thought I wanted to do. I am due to move into Halls on the 5th October, which the course starting the following Thursday.

In the last 6 weeks I have been really debating about whether it is right for me, and I have come to the conclusion that its just not right for me any more, and I wish to go back to work. I haven't told anyone yet, because teh first people I wanted to tell was my parents, because they have helped me so much this last year, but I haven't been able to tell them because of another problem. Over the course of the last 6 weeks my mam has had some health related issue she and my dad have been worrying about, and she is in hospital right now, I didn't want to burden her wit yet another worry, which might stress them both out.

But obviously, I have to tell them now, but before I do, I wondered if anyone had any advice? I wanted to know if anyone knew if I would legal/financial obligated to pay for my room in halls of residence even though I no longer want it? And if I would be legally bound to pay any fees?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

you know that every anonymous person has a number and whenever you post have the same number i.e 1 ,you keep posting different stories like ur a diff person???:confused:

ReputationRep:
    you know that every anonymous person has a number and whenever you post have the same number i.e 1 ,you keep posting different stories like ur a diff person???:confused:
    Several different threads have been merged into this one. Anon 1 might be the first Anon in the original thread, but not in this big mega thread.

Someone help me!

I just started second year and moved into halls about two weeks ago. Most other people already knew each other from other parts of the hall, I didn't know anyone so I was at a disadvantage.

I'm not shy at all, and quite confident. I can hold a decent conversation on anything; but I haven't made any friends yet. I was in similar situation last year.

When I see people on my floor around we say Hi but it pretty much ends there. We're all quite friendly, but things don't go further than a few minutes conversation in the kitchen.

I've invited most of them to my room just to hang out, but NO ONE has since done so in the last two weeks.

I HATE READING UNI! i've only been here 5 nights and i want to go home, i dont click with anybody in my halls which is st ****** there all fake i've tried getting on with them to the point its almost hard work, i hate freshers week an i hate the ppl in my course, the girls here are so self absorbed. it makes it even worse when i talk to all my friends and see them having fun whats wrong with me why cant i fit in?
    I know this sounds really bad, but theres no black people in reading there all just white and middle class i'm not one of theos people that stick with there race and i know this sounds cliche but i have a white best friend but i know it'll be more compforting to be with people that look like me.
    i know i'm going on but im not a heavy drinker and ive been finding myself getting really drunk latley an i think i’ve been using drink as a tool to make me feel better and its not healty, i drunk on my own last night how depressing an its freshers week, i've been depressed befor but not like this i brought a tonne of pinekillers last week just to stock up but now im really thinking of using it, i mean whats there to lose whos gonna miss me i'm just the fat, black awkward kid that tries to hard to be liked, as im talking there all laughing in the next room all having fun, the other day i went to some talk and we all planned to go together but me an one of the girls went to grab a coffe, they all waited for her and when it came to me i looked back and they where all gone- im one of these ppl who involes everyone is it me or was that really cruel? I HATE READING UNI! Is there anyone anywhere that feels like this especially in reading?
    I'm second year at Reading University, and was in a similar situation last year. We should talk!

urgh everyone. ive been away from home at uni for a month now.
    i dont feel home sick in the slightest and really like were i am. thing is ive started to go really shy around people, as we speak im sitting in my room hiding from my flat mates again. ive never felt so insecure in my whole entire life. i seriously feel like a giant peice of crap allll the time. girls in the flat are not amazingly pretty well two of them are but they are so bloody confident and the lads from the next two flats literally live in this flat. ARGH. i hate it they are all nice people but i just dont know what to say to them, on the rare occasion i start a conversation it nose dives as i just cant keep it up. its so bloody frustrating as i know its linked to this non existant confidence thing i have. to make matter worse i made a tooool out of my self last week when we were out so im currently hiding from the boy next store who thinks im some kind of utter completle phscho stalker. when you get to know me im really funny and freindly but im struggling to let me be me. did i mention i feel like POOO?! argh. im sick of being me i just wanna be somebody else

(please keep annon!)

I can't help but feel as though I'd be making more friends if I was a model or something like that. Everyone here is so concerned with looks and how "cool" someone is that if you're an average looking guy you just get treated as a second hand citizen who "doesn't get it". I wish I'd gone to a uni in a smaller city or with nicer people or with less arts students.
    I get dirty looks from people within moments of meeting them, shut out of conversations people are having with my friends, yelled at at my own house party and generally just avoided like the plague, and then I see other guys with people flocking around them as if they just discovered the meaning of life.

Its easy to say "oh yeah, but these people probably aren't happy inside, or don't have any personality/its whats inside that counts" but at the end of the day, these people have friends, are being invited out places and having the time of their lives at university, whereas I'm not. I don't think there's anything that can console me in that respect.

Hmmm

I just feel like such a *****... i've been at uni for about 3 weeks now, am fine with the work etc... it's just the times when i'm not working, i feel so ****... i have no friends really, i've tried talking to people and stuff but it never moves past what course, college and accommodation tbh, and I just never seem to see them again... I hate clubbing and stuff, but for some reason people assume that means i hate having fun, which isn't quite the same thing, but now it's moved past the stage where you can just randomly go up to people and 'hang out' as it were, so I'm just stuck in my room and ugghhh i just feel like such a piece of crap and all I want to do is go home, but obviously I can't drop out so soon... people say it gets better, but I don't understand how everyone else has managed to find friends and groups into which they fit and I just haven't...

I just feel like such a *****... i've been at uni for about 3 weeks now, am fine with the work etc... it's just the times when i'm not working, i feel so ****... i have no friends really, i've tried talking to people and stuff but it never moves past what course, college and accommodation tbh, and I just never seem to see them again... I hate clubbing and stuff, but for some reason people assume that means i hate having fun, which isn't quite the same thing, but now it's moved past the stage where you can just randomly go up to people and 'hang out' as it were, so I'm just stuck in my room and ugghhh i just feel like such a piece of crap and all I want to do is go home, but obviously I can't drop out so soon... people say it gets better, but I don't understand how everyone else has managed to find friends and groups into which they fit and I just haven't...

why not take up a hobby for when you have free time/no lectures? whats the point in feeling sorry for your self? there's no need to feel depressed becuase you're not doing what everyone else considers fun ..you should read the philosophy book on why we shouldnt be made feel depressed by our circumstances
    btw i'm 1st year in uni living in halls,and really dont enjoy the student lifestyle..but im not gonna feel depressed because i don't .

alll these 'friendships' are formed through getting drunk.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni the cracks have started to show in these friendships so take comfort in the fact that you have not attached yourself to someone like an appendage :p:

ReputationRep:
    why not take up a hobby for when you have free time/no lectures? whats the point in feeling sorry for your self? there's no need to feel depressed becuase you're not doing what everyone else considers fun ..you should read the philosophy book on why we shouldnt be made feel depressed by our circumstances
    btw i'm 1st year in uni living in halls,and really dont enjoy the student lifestyle..but im not gonna feel depressed because i don't .
    Which book is this??

And true; remember we always look back on our past with rose tinted glasses... you're going to have good times and bad times wherever and whenever you are- it's just the newness of it all that's overwhelming. (yes, first year student too!)

Please leave anon.

Basically I started uni in september and right now i'm thinking about leaving. I've been like this for a bit and i've been told it'll get better but i don't think it will. Although i like most of the course and the societies i'm in and i know it gives me better job prospects (I've thought this all out!) I've got very few friends and am alone most weekends - I've tried to meet people but most of the people on my corridor's idea of going out is getting drunk and clubbing which I hate - plus i hate the expense! Right now though its the general lonliness and isolation (plus the food is **** - i'm in catered!)

Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    i think youre me lol
    i know how u feel but i dont know what to do about it. i guess the feelings will subside as time goes on, probs quite natural to feel like this in 1st term.have u tried talking to someone from back home?
    if u have a good contingency plan then id go for it but if its uni or a job then id stay at uni, ur more likely to meet people who will enrich your life and i think work would be equally difficult
    x

ReputationRep:
    When you're 50, I bet you'll think "I wish I stuck out those 2 short years... and had better job prospects..."

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be any better at home? Will your friends be there?

It can be lonely.. it is for a remarkable amount of people, and it tends to be friends you find elsewhere (ie. not in your flat) that you end up spending the most time with... how about people on your course, societies?

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3PoZ...eature=related

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.