Turn on thread page Beta

michael howard is now officially the leader of the tory party watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So the gap between the voucher and private is even more! Thus only wealthy people can opt for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    So the gap between the voucher and private is even more! Thus only wealthy people can opt for it!
    its quite simple. you can either have free treatment on the NHS, or take a substantial proportion of the money and take it to private treatment. for many operations this means millions of households would be able to choose between private or NHS care..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    The Tories have one spokesman for health and education ie. giving half the effort. Shows you how lowly they think of public services - they have two charmen though!
    wow you really are stupid like you say in your sig, but ill forgive you
    theyre having one spokesman so they can more effectively communicate their message to the public.

(Original post by vienna95)
    its quite simple. you can either have free treatment on the NHS, or take a substantial proportion of the money and take it to private treatment. for many operations this means millions of households would be able to choose between private or NHS care..
    That was precisely the point I was making. The ones who will be able to take a substantial proportion of money from the public purse and top it up with their own to get fast, private treatment with any reference to their means are the very ones who could afford the full cost of private treatment in the first place, either outright or through very costly insurace cover.
    Once again, the Tories pander to the wealthy! It's cold out there in the political wilderness!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    theyre having one spokesman so they can more effectively communicate their message to the public.
    What's that? "We don't give an damn about health and education" ?

In fact, I know - why not have one spokesman for ALL their policies - even easier to communicate to the public!

I vote for Widdecombe.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Theresa May must be chuffed - finally recognition that it takes 2 men to do the work of one woman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    The ones who will be able to take a substantial proportion of money from the public purse and top it up with their own to get fast, private treatment with any reference to their means are the very ones who could afford the full cost of private treatment in the first place, either outright or through very costly insurace cover.
    thats obviously wrong. youre not either 'rich' or 'poor' but somewhere along a spectrum of earnings. state funding would allow many to afford private treatment who wouldnt be able to otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    if thats the case whats this we're talking about their new health and education policies?

ReputationRep:
    I know I am edders, I need a lot of explaining .

How can one person do two massive portfolios and communicate them easily? The NHS is massive - needs one person to concentrate on it and present it to the people.

ReputationRep:
    thats obviously wrong. youre not either 'rich' or 'poor' but somewhere along a spectrum of earnings. state funding would allow many to afford private treatment who wouldnt be able to otherwise.
    Exactly. And the state should not be funding an inegalitarian healthcare system.

ReputationRep:

In fact, I know - why not have one spokesman for ALL their policies - even easier to communicate to the public!

I vote for Widdecombe.
    LOL maybe they only need one cos they on ehave one policy - no to europe!

ReputationRep:
    if thats the case whats this we're talking about their new health and education policies?
    You mean the ones that set both on the road away from being publicly owned?

ReputationRep:
    Not many - only a few. I don't know many who have a few £1000s in the bank so that they can jump the queue.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and somewhere along that spectrum is a point where people on one side can afford it and people on the other can't.

Therefore, in this context, "rich" and "poor".

Would that include the most vulnerable members of society who have the greatest need - those who have disabling long term illnesses that have resulted in them being able to work to earn sufficient monies to top-up vouchers for these private treatment fees! No!!! That is why I am incensed about passports. They offer no help whatsoever to those in greatest need. Once again the tories will ignore them - how can they claim to be coming more from the middle - they are lurching inexorably much deeper to the right (which is not right!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Would that include the most vulnerable members of society who have the greatest need - those who have disabling long term illnesses that have resulted in them being able to work to earn sufficient monies to top-up vouchers for these private treatment fees! No!!! That is why I am incensed about passports. They offer no help whatsoever to those in greatest need. Once again the tories will ignore them - how can they claim to be coming more from the middle - they are lurching inexorably much deeper to the right (which is not right!)
    but if lots of people go private money/facilities will be freed for these people to use?

ReputationRep:
    but if lots of people go private money/facilities will be freed for these people to use?
    Not if they take the NHS money with them when they go, as is being proposed.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and somewhere along that spectrum is a point where people on one side can afford it and people on the other can't.

Therefore, in this context, "rich" and "poor".
    its not that clear-cut, its a matter of how much you want private treatment/how prepared you are to pay to skip the queue.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Once insurers start to be sued under the Disability Discrimintation Act for un-substantiated discrimination things will start to change and disabled people may be able to buy reasonable health/life/travel/car insurance (and maybe I won't be in a situation where if my husband dies I'll have to sell our house within a month because noone will provide life insurance and I can't afford the mortgage alone).

ReputationRep:
    Not if they take the NHS money with them when they go, as is being proposed.
    its really not that hard to understand. the NHS doesnt pay for ALL the private healthcare costs. for eg. if the NHS paid 50% of the private costs 50% would be left for the NHS, as opposed to 100% being used up if theyd got the treatment on the NHS.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.